Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
There is a rabbinic principle determined from such OT stories that says that (with a couple of exceptions) when they are in conflict, negative commands, “Thou Shalt NOT,” are trumped by positive commands; “Thou Shalt.” Our Lord Himself appealed to this in several instances like healing on the Sabbath. So the principle stands.

In both of your stated cases, the positive command to save life trumps the prohibition of lying. So it is NOT a “lesser of 2 evils” kind of thing after all.

Are you referring pikkuah nefesh...which be derived from Leviticus 18:5?

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I know the 10 commandments command us not to bear false witness against our neighbor but what about other lies?

I would say to beware.

Revelation 21:8 "But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would say to beware.

Revelation 21:8 "But the cowardly, unbelieving, abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.”
Thank you.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Thank you.

What surprised me about that verse is the "cowardly." Wow! Perhaps those who chose to take the mark of the beast rather than to give up their lives for Christ?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What surprised me about that verse is the "cowardly." Wow! Perhaps those who chose to take the mark of the beast rather than to give up their lives for Christ?
perhaps those to fear going further into the kingdom of heaven because of the does and donts of religious....

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
perhaps those to fear going further into the kingdom of heaven because of the does and donts of religious....

"further into" the kingdom of heaven? I think you are either there or you're not.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"further into" the kingdom of heaven? I think you are either there or you're not.
Some are at the door....fearing to go in, because of possible wrong doing. I believe there is a journey even after you enter, however.....so dont be content with just the ability to raise one from the dead, or heal the sick.....there is greater......there is more.....

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I know the 10 commandments command us not to bear false witness against our neighbor but what about other lies?
Well I would not harshly judge every lie.

If a medical examiner knows a man died in horrible pain but assures the family he died quickly . . I wouldn't judge him harshly.

If a gestapo asks where the jews are and they're hiding in my closet I would freely assert I didn't know where they were.

If a man on his deathbed assures a loved one he has accepted Christ but confesses to me later he just did that to help the loved one feel better after he is gone . . . and after he passes that loved one comes and shares with me how joyful she is that he accepted Christ . . . how far is it proper for me to go along with her understanding?

If a man has a heart that has gone cold towards his wife but continues to lie to her and say he loves here . . . and never betrays her in any way except to simply keep saying he loves her . . . what do we say about such a man?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well I would not harshly judge every lie.

If a medical examiner knows a man died in horrible pain but assures the family he died quickly . . I wouldn't judge him harshly.

If a gestapo asks where the jews are and they're hiding in my closet I would freely assert I didn't know where they were.

If a man on his deathbed assures a loved one he has accepted Christ but confesses to me later he just did that to help the loved one feel better after he is gone . . . and after he passes that loved one comes and shares with me how joyful she is that he accepted Christ . . . how far is it proper for me to go along with her understanding?

If a man has a heart that has gone cold towards his wife but continues to lie to her and say he loves here . . . and never betrays her in any way except to simply keep saying he loves her . . . what do we say about such a man?
Thank you.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Some are at the door....fearing to go in, because of possible wrong doing. I believe there is a journey even after you enter, however.....so dont be content with just the ability to raise one from the dead, or heal the sick.....there is greater......there is more.....

I'm talking about after you die. What are you talking about?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was blessed by reading that chapter, thank you. I dont see where Samuel lied though. Nor do i see treason because God is the authority, not Saul. Treason would be to go against God.
Samuel covered up the truth and Israel pass on their theocracy in favour of a monarchy. Samuel was essentially plotting to over throw the King, this is treason against the king.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
i agree. Samuel was obeying God rather than man. Saul was an abomination to God.
Of course, but he still lied and he still committed treason against Saul even if it was by divine authority. Not all treason has selfish motives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reborn1977

Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Bible makes it clear in many passages of Scripture, Old and New Testament, that lying is not something God wants people to partake in for any reason.

Lying erodes your character and self-worth from the inside out.

Lying breaks trust with people in one of the deepest ways. When you lie, and people find out they always question your words from then on.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible makes it clear in many passages of Scripture, Old and New Testament, that lying is not something God wants people to partake in for any reason.

Lying erodes your character and self-worth from the inside out.

Lying breaks trust with people in one of the deepest ways. When you lie, and people find out they always question your words from then on.

If you're lying to an enemy, as did Rahab and the Hebrew midwives, that's not a problem.

Reactions: Phil.Stein
Upvote 0

Phil.Stein

Oct 28, 2018
Texas City
✟20,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Sometimes we are forced in the world to choose the "lesser of evils". Rahab lied to protect Joshua's spies, the midwives lied to protect Moses and the other Hebrew babies. Lying is still technically a sin, but if we are forced to answer something, it is a greater sin to deliver up the innocent to murder.
i've often wondered about this. people often ask if it was a sin for rahab to lie, yet no one considers whether it was a sin to kill all those living in jericho. i think certain actions are justified by war, including lying and killing.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF. :)

i've often wondered about this. people often ask if it was a sin for rahab to lie, yet no one considers whether it was a sin to kill all those living in jericho. i think certain actions are justified by war, including lying and killing.
I understand what you're saying. But I'd just hesitate to use the word "justified". Sometimes it is necessary and loving to do a certain act - which act is never "just" or "good" in itself (like a person protecting innocents who might kill an intruder in order to protect them). The killing is still a bad thing, but perhaps not so bad as failing to protect the innocents.

I think God understands. It's not so much about ticking boxes or "laws" ... it's about the kind of person we are - and how that affects what we do (while at the same time our actions also shape us - for better or for worse). If we killed someone even out of necessity, it would be better for us if we bitterly regretted the fact that we had to do so, rather than trying to legally justify ourselves. The first is tied to repentance - the second bears no fruit (or possibly bad fruit).

I'm not criticizing your answer btw. Just looking at the subject a little deeper in response to word choice. :)

God be with you.

Upvote 0