• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Does the name Jesus derive from Zeus?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by Sanoy, Mar 15, 2019 at 5:59 AM.

1. Sanoy

Sanoy Well-Known Member

+943
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    No...no it doesn't. And here is why.

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+13,303
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    That is a product of people NOT understanding linguistics at all. So they end up making ridiculous claims like this.

3. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+4,706
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Hebrew "Joshua" (Yeshua), transliterated into Greek as "Ιησους", then into Latin as "Jesus"
    No "Z" anywhere.

4. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+13,303
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    That is a quirk of American english pronunciation.

Interesting side note: No classical Latin based word had a Z in it and the letter was eliminated from the alphabet. But since the Romans had such high respect for the Greeks, and their primary deity's name started with Z, it got added back in at the very end when Rome conquered Greece.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. Artra

Artra The unforgivable sin is not repenting

+110
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Jesus means 'God saves' and Zeus means 'Sky'. I believe the heart behind these speculations are meant to undermine the power of Christ's name or to accuse us of misconceptions of His name. Even if the falsehood is exposed it won't change unbelief.

1 Timothy 1:3-4

6. Jonaitis

Jonaitis Well-Known Member

+1,046
    United States
    Reformed
    Single
    US-Republican
    Smh...

7. Der Alter

Der Alter This is me about 1 yr. old. Supporter

+2,190
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    I encountered this bit of nonsense at one of the first forums I joined about 20 years ago. It was a "sacred name" forum which I was banned from since I didn't have the right "religion." One of their quirks was to eliminate all "suspicious" Biblical names and replace them with their version of transliterated Hebrew e.g. Mosheh vice Moses and of course Yeshua/Yehoshua vice Jesus. Because everybody knows there was no letter "J" in Hebrew or Greek etc. To them the transliteration explanation given above Ιήσους/Iesous/Jesus was "From the devil."
    One of my arguments to them was Ιήσους/Iesous [Yaysoos] could not be associated with Ξευϛ because Zeus was not pronounced "Zoos," It would have been pronounced "Tzevs." When the LXX was translated, both יהושׁע/Yehoshua and ישׁוע/Yeshua were transliterated Ιήσους/Iesous. Jewish scholars 225BC would not have transliterated Yehoshua with a name which could possibly be associated with a pagan deity.

8. Der Alter

Der Alter This is me about 1 yr. old. Supporter

+2,190
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    When Martin Luther translated the NT into German he transliterated Ιησους as Jesus which in German is pronounced "Yaysoos."