Does the KJV and WEB contain any accented letters?

Learis

Aug 16, 2019
Aventura
✟15,915.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Greetings. I'm making a bible typing application. It just allows people to type chapters/verses of the bible according to their liking and see typical things like errors and words per minute when they're done. I plan to start off having 2 translations available, namely the kjv and web since they're both on the public domain and are a nice combination of the older style language and modern language.

There's something a bit worrying. I normally read from the nkjv and I saw a situation where there was an accented letter:

1 Samuel 28:8 - nkjv
8 So Saul disguised himself and put on other clothes, and he went, and two men with him; and they came to the woman by night. And he said, “Please conduct a séance for me, and bring up for me the one I shall name to you.”

You can see the word "séance" has an accent in it. Luckily this doesn't exist in the kjv or web as the wording is different. But now it has me worried. I need additional logic in my code to account for accented letters like these if they exist in either the kjv or web. I've tried googling to see if accented letters exist in either of these versions, but I can't find an answer. Does anyone know if these translations contain any letters with accents, or could anyone provide me with resources to find this out?

Edit: I also need to look out for other weird things that might be there such as the longer em dashes: —
Basically any character that may be in these bible translations that is not normally accessible on a standard keyboard I need to be aware of. The em dash requires the key combination ctr + alt + num, and I wouldn't want to force the user to know that if it ever came up.

Last edited:

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Greetings. I'm making a bible typing application. It just allows people to type chapters/verses of the bible according to their liking and see typical things like errors and words per minute when they're done. I plan to start off having 2 translations available, namely the kjv and web since they're both on the public domain and are a nice combination of the older style language and modern language.

There's something a bit worrying. I normally read from the nkjv and I saw a situation where there was an accented letter:

1 Samuel 28:8 - nkjv
8 So Saul disguised himself and put on other clothes, and he went, and two men with him; and they came to the woman by night. And he said, “Please conduct a séance for me, and bring up for me the one I shall name to you.”

You can see the word "séance" has an accent in it. Luckily this doesn't exist in the kjv or web as the wording is different. But now it has me worried. I need additional logic in my code to account for accented letters like these if they exist in either the kjv or web. I've tried googling to see if accented letters exist in either of these versions, but I can't find an answer. Does anyone know if these translations contain any letters with accents, or could anyone provide me with resources to find this out?
Am not sure. The American Standard Version is also in the public domain.

Upvote 0