Does the Holy Spirit lead us into all the truth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

racer

Contributor
Aug 5, 2003
Oklahoma
✟24,729.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Asinner said:
Racer,

I just wanted to say that I completely agree with this statement. I liked your analogy too.

Neat. Now, that I think about it, it kind of addresses the point in more ways than one. You’re direction is a little different than the one I anticipated. But, it does still apply using your analogy.

Asinner said:
The Holy Spirit does work in leading people to Christ. It is not the same lead, though, once you are baptized and receive the indwelling of the Spirit.

I believe the Holy Spirit leads us even before being baptized. Some people are eventually baptized because they were guided and moved by the Holy Spirit.

Asinner said:
Your analogy works well here in that before one becomes a Christian, they are lead with a leash (the Holy Spirit) to the pond (the living water).

I don’t really see it that way. Because, this is to say, (if you are following the aim of my analogy) that we’re being led without freewill, then once we’ve reached a more mature level of obedience, the leash is cut and we straggle and stray along—kind of like a rebellious teenager? Maybe I’m not understanding your point. I just don’t think we are ever lead with a leash.

Asinner said:
Once they receive this living water, they no longer need the leashes.

I don’t think you’re actually following the intent of my analogy. Or maybe, you’re just showing me how the analogy could be altered to support your scenario. And it works for you, but it’s just not getting at the same point I was attempting to make.

Asinner said:
When we are baptized, we receive the Spirit internally. However, there are many ponds. All do not contain the life we seek. We must drink from many sometimes before we find the one that gives us life. We will know when we find it because our thirst will be quenched and life will abide in us.

No, from my point of view, (and I realize that you are probably just making your own point) there’s one “pond” and one “destination.” There is one sure straight way, and that is the way the Holy Spirit is leading us. However, because a leash is not employed, we do not follow directly or exactly, we straggle, stray, amble, and wander along. Some get completely lost and never make it to the “pond,” some get there, but they just take different routes.

I thought of an even better analogy. Let’s take our beloved dogs. You know how hopelessly devoted they are to their masters. I mean there’s not more worshipful animal that “man’s best friend.” Now, we can use a leash and our dogs follow us explicitly. Or, as with the horses, we can use not leash. Now, dogs are more devoted, trainable, and leadable. They will follow us somewhat better without a leash. But, say you’ve got two or three following you, one a little older and wiser who will follow you diligently to the desire destination, one young and easily distracted. He’ll follow a bit, but then he’ll see a little butterfly fluttering around and run after if for a bit. Then, he’ll look up and noticed that he almost lost you completely, and run like the dickens to catch up. This pattern will probably recur a few times until the destination is reached. Then, you may have a completely distracted, lazy, stubborn old hound who’s just going to do his thing. Heck, he might just plop down and say forget that, that’s too long and too hard of a trek. However, you as the leader did not waiver, did not change paths or directions. You were on course and true for allow dogs following you.

What do you think? Does that analogy work, too?

Upvote 0

Asinner

Seeking Salvation
Jul 15, 2005
✟22,772.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
racer said:
I believe the Holy Spirit leads us even before being baptized. Some people are eventually baptized because they were guided and moved by the Holy Spirit.

I agree.

I don’t really see it that way. Because, this is to say, (if you are following the aim of my analogy) that we’re being led without freewill, then once we’ve reached a more mature level of obedience, the leash is cut and we straggle and stray along—kind of like a rebellious teenager? Maybe I’m not understanding your point. I just don’t think we are ever lead with a leash.

Yes. God does not pull us with a thick, unbreakable leash, that would negate free will. I do believe that He leads us though. Perhaps the leash is made of straw . . . :p where we can choose to abandon His lead.

I don’t think you’re actually following the intent of my analogy. Or maybe, you’re just showing me how the analogy could be altered to support your scenario. And it works for you, but it’s just not getting at the same point I was attempting to make.

Yes. I am an "analogy alterer" . . . guilty! :sorry:

No, from my point of view, (and I realize that you are probably just making your own point) there’s one “pond” and one “destination.” There is one sure straight way, and that is the way the Holy Spirit is leading us. However, because a leash is not employed, we do not follow directly or exactly, we straggle, stray, amble, and wander along. Some get completely lost and never make it to the “pond,” some get there, but they just take different routes.

Your analogy leaves out the deceiver, which is satan, who mimicks Christ and the Way. Yes, there is only one Pond, as you say, and different ways of getting to the Pond. But there are many, many ponds that deceive those who are thirsty. Only one contains the Living Water.

I thought of an even better analogy. Let’s take our beloved dogs. You know how hopelessly devoted they are to their masters. I mean there’s not more worshipful animal that “man’s best friend.” Now, we can use a leash and our dogs follow us explicitly. Or, as with the horses, we can use not leash. Now, dogs are more devoted, trainable, and leadable. They will follow us somewhat better without a leash. But, say you’ve got two or three following you, one a little older and wiser who will follow you diligently to the desire destination, one young and easily distracted. He’ll follow a bit, but then he’ll see a little butterfly fluttering around and run after if for a bit. Then, he’ll look up and noticed that he almost lost you completely, and run like the dickens to catch up. This pattern will probably recur a few times until the destination is reached. Then, you may have a completely distracted, lazy, stubborn old hound who’s just going to do his thing. Heck, he might just plop down and say forget that, that’s too long and too hard of a trek. However, you as the leader did not waiver, did not change paths or directions. You were on course and true for allow dogs following you.
What do you think? Does that analogy work, too?

Let's say that while the dogs are following their master, another master tries to coerce the dogs with treats. These treats look yummy and this master is leading them to a destination that is not so difficult or long . . .

God Bless :)

(edited):sorry:

Upvote 0

racer

Contributor
Aug 5, 2003
Oklahoma
✟24,729.00
Faith
Pentecostal
vanshan said:
From a protestant view, those who diligently seek God, will receive correct understanding by the Holy Spirit,

That is not an argument that I’ve seen asserted here.

vanshan said:
but Philip didn't advise the eunuch seek understanding from the Holy Spirit, but instead instructed him about Christ.

He instructed the eunuch, and sent him on his merry way. Phillip, an individual person not a church, instructed the eunuch and sent him away instructed.

vanshan said:
This leads to another contradiction. If each of us can gain accurate understanding of all matters of faith by reading the scriptures and being illuminated directly by the Holy Spirit, why did God assign teachers and evangelists to proclaim the gospel to us?

Because, He knew that many, many, many, people would need guidance and instruction, not religious rule. Why do you continue with this argument? Can you show one person here asserting what you are arguing against?

vanshan said:
Why do we have spiritual shepherds to protect us from harm, if all we need are the scriptures and God to guide us into truth?

Because, we being human, imperfect, and easily entertained become distracted and stray. Belonging to a spiritual body with the same objective helps bring us back into line when this happens.

vanshan said:
Why have long sermons on Sunday to teach us, if God can do it directly by the Holy Spirit?

Because, in spite of the abilities of God, we humans are fallible and slow to learn . . . . We don’t always listen and pay attention when the Holy Spirit is speaking. There are many reasons.

vanshan said:
If that is the case our preachers should just read the Bible to us and then dismiss us, but they don't do that.

Because, that’s not the case, and we never said it was.

vanshan said:
Instead they help illuminate the meaning of the scriptures to us, as best they can.

And that’s what the church is supposed to do.

Upvote 0

racer

Contributor
Aug 5, 2003
Oklahoma
✟24,729.00
Faith
Pentecostal
. . . . the first time. :sorry:

vanshan said:
Just off the cuff, I can think of three other examples from scripture, which refute the false idea that we can reliably hear the guidance of the Holy Spirit individually.

I would strongly disagree.

vanshan said:
If we base too much trust in our own understanding due to ego or ignorance, then we are guilty of twisting the scriptures that we may misinterpret, making ourselves enemies of the truth.

To imply that you are more submissive or obedient because you are wise enough to put your salvation in the hands of a ruling religious body is about as egotistical as it gets. You and I are personally held accountable for our sins and transgressions by God—not the church. The church is to help lead us and keep us in line, but we are not accountable to the church for our sins. So, if God is holding you and me personally accountable for our actions, then by george I’m betting He expects us to possess the ability to personally discern what He expects from us. Heck, how can you know that you even need to go to church is you can not personally determine what’s expected of you? Exactly what level of discernment to you believe we possess? Where does it stop? How do I discern that I need to submit to the Church?

vanshan said:
1. 2 Peter 3:14-17 "Therefore, beloved, looking forward to these things, be diligent to be found by Him in peace, without spot and blameless; 15 and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation—as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, 16 as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures.

I realize in the days of the apostles, there were many untaught, but that’s not so today. I don’t know how the ratio of “unstable” people would rate between those of the apostolic era and today. Even at that, what are the odds that the “unstable” would get it even if the church spelled it out for them? However, he’s not referring to laity in general. He’s referring to a specific group or specific groups of people. Unless you are asserting that the laity was all untaught and unstable, are you? He is not saying that all people are untaught and unstable, therefore twist scripture to their own destruction. This verse simply is not saying what you assert that it is.

vanshan said:
17 You therefore, beloved, since you know this beforehand, beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked . . ."
vanshan said:

From this passage, we can see that Peter understood that Paul's letters may contain difficult to understand passages that could be misunderstood--not maliciously twisted, but distorted due to the ignorance of the reader, or hearer.

Difficult to understand does not mean unable to understand, nor does the fact that something is difficult to understand guarantee that people can not get it right.

I hate to be a broken record, but:

On Christian Doctrine, Book I

Chapter 40.—What Manner of Reader Scripture Demands.

44. And, therefore, if a man fully understands that “the end of the commandment is charity, out of a pure heart, and of a good conscience, and of faith unfeigned,”1757 and is bent upon making all his understanding of Scripture to bear upon these three graces, he may come to the interpretation of these books with an easy mind.

Book II

Chapter 9.—How We Should Proceed in Studying Scripture.

14. In all these books those who fear God and are of a meek and pious disposition seek the will of God . . . For among the things that are plainly laid down in Scripture are to be found all matters that concern faith and the manner of life,— . . . .

CHAP. 18.--ONLY IN THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS PERFECT TRUTH ESTABLISHED ON THE HARMONY OF BOTH TESTAMENTS.

33. . . . . Is not this what the Apostle Paul appears to desire when he says, "For this cause I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant unto you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might by His Spirit in the inner man: that Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all saints what is the height, and length, and breadth, and depth, and to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye may be filled with all the fullness of God?" Could anything be more plainly expressed?

34. Wake up a little, I beseech you, and see the harmony of both Testaments, making it quite plain and certain what should be the manner of life in our conduct, and to what all things should be referred. To the love of God we are incited by the gospel, when it is said, "Ask, seek, knock;" by Paul, when he says, "That ye, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend;" by the prophet also, when he says that wisdom can easily be known by those who love it, seek for it, desire it, watch for it, think about it, care for it. The salvation of the mind and the way of happiness is pointed out by the concord of both Scriptures;

Augustine’s Confessions, Book XIII

Chapter XV.—Allegorical Explanation of the Firmament and Upper Works, Ver. 6.

16. Or who but Thou, our God, made for us that firmament1 of authority over us in Thy divine Scripture?2 As it is said, For heaven shall be folded up like a scroll;3 and now it is extended over us like a skin.4 For Thy divine Scripture is of more sublime authority, since those mortals through whom Thou didst dispense it unto us underwent mortality. . . . Whence as a skin hast Thou stretched out the firmament of Thy Book;6 that is to say, Thy harmonious words, which by the ministry of mortals Thou hast spread over us. For by their very death is that solid firmament of authority in Thy discourses set forth by them more sublimely extended above all things that are under it, the which, while they were living here, was not so eminently extended.7 Thou hadst not as yet spread abroad the heaven like a skin; Thou hadst not as yet noised everywhere the report of their deaths.

17. Let us look, O Lord, “upon the heavens, the work of Thy fingers;”8 clear from our eyes that mist with which Thou hast covered them. There is that testimony of Thine which giveth wisdom unto the little ones . . . .

Continued . . . .

Upvote 0

racer

Contributor
Aug 5, 2003
Oklahoma
✟24,729.00
Faith
Pentecostal
vanshan said:
To remedy this does he recommend the Christians pray more diligently seeking understanding from the Holy Spirit, which he could have easily prescribed? No. He encourages them to remain steadfast to the teachings they received and to grow in their knowlege of Jesus Christ so they don't fall prey to those who misunderstand the scriptures.

Are you really asserting that Scripture does not tell us that prayer and faith will bring wisdom and understanding?

vanshan said:
Clearly, he warns the scriptures can be misunderstood--and this should come as no surprise to us who are surrounded by so many differing interpretations.

Again difficult does not mean impossible and unattainable.

vanshan said:
2. Acts 15. The Council in Jerusalem.

I love it when people quote Scripture without actually quoting it, then go on to give their personal spin on it.

vanshan said:
In this entire chapter we read about how one of the first controversies was resovled by a council of the Church. Not all of Christ's followers within the Church had been led into truth by the Holy Spirit, so by meeting together and reasoning with one another, they concluded the correct doctrine is that cirumcision is no longer required in Christ.

So, they weren’t led to the truth by the Holy Spirit. They concluded correct doctrine by meeting and reasoning with one another?

vanshan said:
This is the model of how the Orthodox Church has arrived at Holy Spirit-inspired truth starting at that time until the present date.

Well, according to what you just said, the truth they arrived at was not Holy Spirit-inspired. They were reasoned and worked out by men.

vanshan said:
It is in seeking the consensus of understanding, rather than placing full reliance on one person's interpretion, including our own, which leads the Church as whole into all the truth. Any single person can be wrong, even you and me.

Even a group of individuals can be wrong—even your church.

Tell me this, if we are not supposed to trust ourselves to correctly find the truth, how do we even know that attending or belonging to “a” church or “the” church is necessary? How do we reason that? Just how far are we to trust our personal discernment? How are we to know exactly which church is “the” church? At what point or to what point to we trust our own understanding?

vanshan said:
3. Act 8:27-39. The conversion of the Eunuch.

30Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet, and said, "Do you understand what you are reading?"

31And he said, "Well, how could I, unless someone guides me?" And he invited Philip to come up and sit with him."

In this example the eunuch states that without being taught by someone, how could he understand the scriptures? From a protestant view, those who diligently seek God, will receive correct understanding by the Holy Spirit, but Philip didn't advise the eunuch seek understanding from the Holy Spirit, but instead instructed him about Christ.

The eunuch was untaught and probably just a little unstable. So, he needed instruction from somebody, which happened to be Phillip—Phillip—an individual. Did Phillip constitute the Church? Did Phillip instruct the eunuch to go and find a Church to attend? Why? Surely, if Phillip had thought that he alone could not sufficiently instruct the eunuch or had believed the eunuch would need further instruction, why didn’t he just direct him to the nearest church instead of taking it upon himself?

vanshan said:
This leads to another contradiction. If each of us can gain accurate understanding of all matters of faith by reading the scriptures and being illuminated directly by the Holy Spirit, why did God assign teachers and evangelists to proclaim the gospel to us?

This is not a contradiction, because nobody here has asserted that the church and its instruction is not needed.
vanshan said:
Why do we have spiritual shepherds to protect us from harm, if all we need are the scriptures and God to guide us into truth?

We need them to keep us reminded of the destination and how to get there. Because being mortal, we are cursed with human fallibility and weaknesses.

vanshan said:
Why have long sermons on Sunday to teach us, if God can do it directly by the Holy Spirit? If that is the case our preachers should just read the Bible to us and then dismiss us, but they don't do that. Instead they help illuminate the meaning of the scriptures to us, as best they can.

Vanshan, nobody here argues against the necessity of the church, just the extent of the authority of the Church.

Upvote 0

CaliforniaJosiah

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2005
✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
vanshan said:

Yes.

Truth does not equal our opinions.
Jesus IS the Truth.

Not necessarily each individual person, congregation or denomination or meeting. But "us."

Not necessarily by January 15, 34 AD.

, let's see what the Word of God indicates, since it is our highest authority for truth among those traditions of Christ, which have been passed down among us.

Amen!

Sola Scriptura.

by comparing what he believed to be true, with the witness of the larger Church community. It is just as important, or actually even moreso, for us to do the same. Are we wiser than Paul?

Ah, EVEN ST. PAUL considered himself accountable and fallible, so I wonder why some persons and denominations don't? And even ST. PAUL submitted to the whole church catholic, the whole witness of the church - not just his own self or a denomination to their own leadership.

From this we see that even Peter was subject to error--and this was after the Comforter, the Holy Spirit, had been sent. Are we better able to hear the Holy Spirit than Peter?

Kinda makes you wonder about those who claim that they themselves aren't accountable, just everyone else, doesn't it?

And what was the norm here? See verses 15-18.

What's the point? We must check our impressions, about what the scriptures mean, even though we do have the Holy Spirit to help us, with the larger witness of believers,

I agree.
And I think that denominations should take their own advise.

And that the norm should be Scriptures, not the self-same teacher's interpretation of Scriptues or even what's between the lines in Scripture (what the Apostles meant to write but didn't but they can see what they meant to write but didn't).

It's very important for each of us to approch the study of God's word with humility, keeping this in mind.

Amen!

So I reject teachers who claim infallibility for themselves, who argue they are accountable only to God (as they themselves so determine) and that their teachings are at least equal to God's Holy Scriptures. To those who claim to know what dogmas God sadly forgot to include in the Scriptures (but they know - and only they know - infallibly).

All men are fallible

Not all denominations agree with you on that, at least in certain circumstances.

"Then after an interval of fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, taking Titus along also.
It was because of a revelation that I went up; and I submitted to them the gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but I did so in private to those who were of reputation, for fear that I might be running, or had run, in vain.
But not even Titus, who was with me, though he was a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised.
But it was because of the false brethren secretly brought in, who had sneaked in to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, in order to bring us into bondage."
Galations 2:1-4

It's good they wrote down the apostolic teaching before they died. Soli Deo Gloria!

MY perspective...

Pax.

- Josiah

Upvote 0

TheWarriorProphet

Liquid Fire
Aug 10, 2006
✟7,927.00
Faith
Anglican
Asinner said:

Let's say that while the dogs are following their master, another master tries to coerce the dogs with treats. These treats look yummy and this master is leading them to a destination that is not so difficult or long. Ooops . . . it looks like your pups have taken the bait.

Try throwing them the bits of Scripture the Holy Spirit reveals to YOU.

Upvote 0

Asinner

Seeking Salvation
Jul 15, 2005
✟22,772.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
TheWarriorProphet said:
Try throwing them the bits of Scripture the Holy Spirit reveals to YOU.

After rereading my post, it strikes me as being very condescending. I truly didn't mean to come across so horribly. I am sorry, Racer.

Thank you, WP, for addressing my post.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

vanshan

A Sinner
Mar 5, 2004
✟13,268.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
racer said:
Because, we being human, imperfect, and easily entertained become distracted and stray. Belonging to a spiritual body with the same objective helps bring us back into line when this happens

. . .

Because, in spite of the abilities of God, we humans are fallible and slow to learn . . . . We don’t always listen and pay attention when the Holy Spirit is speaking. There are many reasons.

These are very good points. That is why we must all humbly compare what we believe God is revealing to us with what God has shown to others. If we are out on a theological branch alone, or with sparse company, then we might want to consider the fact we are probably wrong, even if we think we can back up what we believe with scripture. In reality, we are probably misinterpretting it.

In our fallibility sometimes we think we are right and everyone who disagrees is wrong, less spiritually in tune with God, or stupid. This is an arrogant point of view to maintain. We cannot use our opinions, even if we think they come from God, to measure everyone else's spirituality, which is what we do when we see our thoughts the the Holy Spirit inspired truth and everyone else who disagrees is seen as spiritually inept. If we come into agreement with what has been believed from the beginning, by all, and throughout time, then we can place confidence in that, but not any opinion we have which contradicts that collective consensus of understanding, which was almost universal before the Great Schism and the subsequent fragmentation of the reformation in the west. The eastern Church didn't experience these unfortunate events, so a consistent apostolic witness has been maintained to this day.

racer said:
And that’s what the church is supposed to do.

Yes, and why? Because individuals cannot rely on themselves alone to interpret the infallible scriptures and traditions of Christ. The Church is there, because we individually are not able to fully understand the truth without its witness and steadfast preservation of the deposit of faith passed down to us. It was created to be the instrument of our salvation--like the ark was to Noah and his family. The Church preserved the apostolic writings and compiled them for us, has preserved the right understanding of those scriptures, and provides the fullness of the faith to aid our salvation.

Basil

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

vanshan

A Sinner
Mar 5, 2004
✟13,268.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
racer said:
To imply that you are more submissive or obedient because you are wise enough to put your salvation in the hands of a ruling religious body is about as egotistical as it gets. . . Exactly what level of discernment to you believe we possess? Where does it stop? How do I discern that I need to submit to the Church?

What seems more arrogant is when we place our ideas above the right-beliefs passed down from the beginning. If we put our opinions above that longstanding testimony of truth, then that is egotistical.

We can discern truth by the guidance of the Holy Spirit. We know that no one can confes Christ as the Son of God, unless the Holy Spirit reveals that to them. However, as we see all around us, this discernment of truth is not infallible. This is a very important point, which I disregarded when I was a charismatic Christian.

Basil

Upvote 0

vanshan

A Sinner
Mar 5, 2004
✟13,268.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
racer said:
Are you really asserting that Scripture does not tell us that prayer and faith will bring wisdom and understanding?

No, just that we must test our understanding, making sure we aren't being deceived by ourselves or a false spirit.

racer said:
I love it when people quote Scripture without actually quoting it, then go on to give their personal spin on it.

Sorry, I guess I assumed that most may recall the basic story. It would be a long cut and past to include most of that chapter . . . and I know some people skip very long posts.

racer said:
So, they weren’t led to the truth by the Holy Spirit. They concluded correct doctrine by meeting and reasoning with one another?

. . .

Well, according to what you just said, the truth they arrived at was not Holy Spirit-inspired. They were reasoned and worked out by men.

I definitely never said that. They were led to the truth by the Holy Spirit, but not all those present had received or understood the truth before being persuaded, which is no suprise, since they were as fallible as we are. So sometimes illumination must come through simple argumentation or persuasion. This is how the councils always have resolved differences in percpetions of the truth.

racer said:
Even a group of individuals can be wrong—even your church.

Certainly, which is why we must carefully test anything we hear to make sure, as best we can, that it is not an innovation or distortion of the truth. I do not trust the words of any single leader within the Church merely because of their position in the Body. If they agree with the unchanging witness of believers from the beginning they are right, but if they contradict the concensus of belief passed down, then I disregard their ideas in that area. We should all test our ministers by this standard--giving proof texts from the Bible isn't enough to prove a point, you must show that the conclusions being made are in agreement with how those verses have been interpretted from the beginning--if they are being twisted, then you are listening to a false teacher.

racer said:
Tell me this, if we are not supposed to trust ourselves to correctly find the truth, how do we even know that attending or belonging to “a” church or “the” church is necessary? How do we reason that? Just how far are we to trust our personal discernment? How are we to know exactly which church is “the” church? At what point or to what point to we trust our own understanding?

Listen to your heart, but check the facts. You trust your impressions to the point that they disagree with what has been passed down from the beginning. The truth cannot change or evolve. Also Christ completed our salvation and sent the Holy Spirit, so no new move of the Spirit is necessary. The Kingdom of God has been at hand since that time and nothing more is needed for our salvation, except to preserve the truth unchanged and to respond to the truth by acting.

racer said:
This is not a contradiction, because nobody here has asserted that the church and its instruction is not needed.

That is implied by the belief that the we individually can be led into all the truth by the Holy Spirit without our fallibility getting in the way. If that is a fact, then we don't really need a church to teach us.

racer said:
We need them to keep us reminded of the destination and how to get there. Because being mortal, we are cursed with human fallibility and weaknesses.

This human fallibility is why we need the Church to testify the truth to us without change, so that our faith is not based on our fallible perception of the Holy Spirit. It's not that God is too weak to transmit the truth to us, just that we are too weak to hear His voice clearly.

Basil

Upvote 0

racer

Contributor
Aug 5, 2003
Oklahoma
✟24,729.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Asinner said:
Your analogy leaves out the deceiver, which is satan, who mimicks Christ and the Way. Yes, there is only one Pond, as you say, and different ways of getting to the Pond. But there are many, many ponds that deceive those who are thirsty. Only one contains the Living Water.

I know I didn't cover every form of distraction. But, the deceiver could be that butterfly I mentioned, or the spirit of laziness that caused the hound to lay down and go no further. The deceiver is the distractions that prevent us from following precisely and obediently. You see the deceiver leading to other ponds, I'm guessing you are likening various ponds with the different churchers? I see the deceiver as distractions of any form.

Asinner said:
Let's say that while the dogs are following their master, another master tries to coerce the dogs with treats.

. . . . or butterfiles . . .

Asinner said:
These treats look yummy and this master is leading them to a destination that is not so difficult or long . . .

Butterflies are pretty and fun to chase. :)

God bless! :wave:

Upvote 0

Asinner

Seeking Salvation
Jul 15, 2005
✟22,772.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
racer said:
I know I didn't cover every form of distraction. But, the deceiver could be that butterfly I mentioned, or the spirit of laziness that caused the hound to lay down and go no further. The deceiver is the distractions that prevent us from following precisely and obediently. You see the deceiver leading to other ponds, I'm guessing you are likening various ponds with the different churchers? I see the deceiver as distractions of any form.

. . . . or butterfiles . . .

Butterflies are pretty and fun to chase. :)

God bless! :wave:

Yes. Butterflies are pretty and fun to chase. lol! Dontcha just love it when we are so agreeable. :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.