• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Does the Holy Spirit have a truly divine and a truly avian nature?

Discussion in 'The Lord's Table - Liberal Catholics' started by tadoflamb, Jan 11, 2017.

1. tadoflamb

tadoflamb and thus we came to Rome

+6,344
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Seems to me, that could be the case.

2. Martinius

Martinius Catholic disciple of Jesus

+2,614
    Christian
    Married
    I am not surprised "bird boy" would think that way. But one must realize that the Holy Spirit could appear as anything. A dove, yes, but also as a person, in a dream, as thoughts, and in any physical manifestation or "bodily form". So the HS is not avian per se.

3. John Hyperspace

John Hyperspace UnKnown ReMember

+1,219
    Christian
    Single
    It's interesting that "Jonah" is the Hebrew for "dove"; and that Jesus spoke of Himself as the "sign of Jonah": Luke 11:29-30

4. Fish and Bread

Fish and Bread Dona nobis pacem

+2,336
    Christian
    Single
    US-Democrat
    How long has the symbol of a dove been associated with peace? Would a 1st century Jew speaking of himself as the "sign of Jonah" have been understood by those around him as saying that he is a sign of peace?

5. John Hyperspace

John Hyperspace UnKnown ReMember

+1,219
    Christian
    Single
    I'm not sure we can answer that question; but if I were to hypothesize, since the day the dove returned to Noah with the olive branch?

No, they would have understood Jonah being sent to preach the judgment coming to Nineveh, and the call to repentance in the face of judgment.

6. tadoflamb

tadoflamb and thus we came to Rome

+6,344
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    Great, you completely dismantled and destroyed my pet heresy in two sentences. Thanks a lot.