• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Does the Holy Spirit ever leave a person?

Nov 20, 2008
✟8,438.00
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Married
I believe that when we are sick the Lord stays by your side. So long as you follow Jesus as your savior I believe the Holy Spirit will stay with you. Just because you are suffering does not mean he has left you, it only means that your depression and human feelings are causing you to feel this way. Hugs and God bless you.

Upvote 0

loved33

Dec 27, 2008
✟10,868.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
this passage of scripture from psalm 139 came to mind when i read your question. be comforted.

7 Where shall I go from your Spirit?
Or where shall I flee from your presence?
8 If I ascend to heaven, you are there!
If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there!
9 If I take the wings of the morning
and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 even there your hand shall lead me,
and your right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me,
and the light about me be night,”
12 even the darkness is not dark to you;
the night is bright as the day,
for darkness is as light with you.

Upvote 0

Winter

Jesus, let it be ok
Jan 18, 2009
New England
✟25,253.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit will never leave you. Our Lord loves you very much and would never, never abandon you. When we suffer from fear and depression it always feels like God is far away. Depression is like a demon that torments our mind, emotions, and spirit. We feel pain and sometimes we are numb. This is very common with depression - feeling like we can't see or find God.

Upvote 0

plumsink

Friend
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas
Visit site
✟10,777.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hi sister:

God is more faithful to us than we can imagine, and it is God who decides how the Spirit comes and goes. There are however two circumstances in which a person who is truly a Christian may feel that the Spirit has left them.

The first and most dangerous thing is, when someone is in persistent willful sin, when someone really chooses sin that they could choose to reject, this erodes one's ability to listen to the Spirit. The Spirit may still be in you, but you aren't listening. This is very dangerous, if you really think you are going down this route... Stop. Listen. Read scripture and listen hard to what God is saying to you. Seek to understand God's will with all your heart, pray to God for understanding.

The second case is a person who is really a faithful person, in so far as anyone can be, but God has chosen to temporarily withdraw the good feelings associated with your experience of God. This is done for your own benefit. Feelings are a way God uses to urge you to come towards Him, but your relationship with God cannot be based on feelings because feelings blow with the wind. Sometimes, and it has happened to me, God withdraws these good feelings to give you the opportunity to act by faith and not just because it feels good. Just as God is faithful to us, even when we are not very faithful to Him, He would like us to be the same way.

Different denominations and church groups have had different theological opinions on whether the Spirit can leave someone who was truly a Christian. Some say that God's decision to save someone is inviolable and beyond human control, that is called election. Others emphasize individual choice, and say that a person once truly saved can indeed become truly unsaved.

I don't have an opinion about this except to say that God is more faithful to those He loves, than we are to Him.

Peace :)

Upvote 0

Criada

Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2007
✟114,628.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
God loves you, sweetie, and He won't ever withdraw His Spirit as long as you want Him. I'm not sure whether the Spirit will leave if you want Him to, but I am very sure that he won't go as long as you desire God.
Feelings come and go, but the truth is the same, whatever you feel or don't feel.
Praying for you :hug:

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does the Scripture say? Jesus said: I am with you always, and I will never leave you nor forsake you (Mt. 28:20; Heb. 13:5; etc.). This is a word to real believers in Christ who are sealed by the Spirit, but also God is ever ready to hear anyone who cries to Him for mercy and salvation. For one who doesn't know God personally God is available, but does not indwell them, so He would not be leaving, but just waits on one to believe (see Jon 9:31).

- 1 Watchman

Upvote 0