Visit site
✟52,923.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Greens
Does the fact of Evolution question the idea of marriage to one partner for life?

A little something to reflect upon:

'....
Some scientists view both social and sexual monogamy in humans as a societal structure rather than a natural state.

"I don't think we are a monogamous animal," said Pepper Schwartz, a professor of sociology at the University of Washington in Seattle. "A really monogamous animal is a goose – which never mates again even if its mate is killed."

She added, "Monogamy is invented for order and investment – but not necessarily because it's 'natural.'"....' ( http://www.livescience.com/32146-are-humans-meant-to-be-monogamous.html )

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
If we take the basic premise of evolution that a creature that lives long enough to breed and pass on it's genes via mates, and (as is often the case with a few animals) they do this by breeding with multiple partners, then yes.

Yes, the act of marriage is a construct brought about by society, but monogamy can be found in many species of animals. Elephants are an example that spring to my mind.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Does the fact of Evolution question the idea of marriage to one partner for life?

- DNA from two beings blends and creates offspring with characteristics from each.

- Should humans have multiple partners?

I'd say the first does not impact the second at it's foundation or core.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,226.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
I don't think humanity's history of statistical semi monogamy makes any difference one way or another morally.

It means that anyone using the "It's natural." argument is out of luck, but that's true of most moral positions.

(Personally I think it's up to the people involved in the relationships as to how many other people are allowed to be involved.)

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The fact of evolution describes the facts we see in nature. It has no bearing on how we 'ought' to act.

Obviously, many have difficulty with monogamy. Perhaps there are evolutionary explanations for that. This still doesn't have any bearing on how we ought to act.

It's 'natural' to die in childbirth. It doesn't mean we're obligated to do so.

Upvote 0

homohabilis117

Chew Manioc
Feb 22, 2016
United States
✟15,850.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

'....
Some scientists view both social and sexual monogamy in humans as a societal structure rather than a natural state.

"I don't think we are a monogamous animal," said Pepper Schwartz, a professor of sociology at the University of Washington in Seattle. "A really monogamous animal is a goose – which never mates again even if its mate is killed."

She added, "Monogamy is invented for order and investment – but not necessarily because it's 'natural.'"....' ( http://www.livescience.com/32146-are-humans-meant-to-be-monogamous.html )
Habilis thinks morals represent arbitrary cultural constructs. Social constructs, and the symbolic meaning human societies imbue into those constructs, are not part of the domain of biological evolution. However, this is not to say that one system might not correspond more closely to the ideals of God, if He exists. The "beyond-nature" part of culture, could very well be mans means of perceiving the reality of God. Habilis thinks if your question asked: "should the fact of evolution affect human moral systems?" it would go to the heart of what you are asking. Habilis position is: should the fact of gravity influence morals? Neither should evolution, which is also a fact, like gravity. Once evolution is extended into realm of morals, it ceases to be fact and becomes philosophy.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

'....

The fact of evolution is a fact of creation. In other words, no proof, evidence or fact exists that can deny it all was created, and any evolving was after the fact. That means that the foolish dreams of how sex and relationships came about as a result of evolving rather than creation are worthless time wasting nonsense.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,039.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Our species evolved from hominids who instinctively sought out multiple partners. That doesn't mean we should reject monogamous relationships. But it helps to explain why they're so difficult for many people to maintain.

Upvote 0

digitalgoth

Jun 4, 2014
✟17,820.00
Faith
Other Religion
The fact of evolution is a fact of creation. In other words, no proof, evidence or fact exists that can deny it all was created, and any evolving was after the fact. That means that the foolish dreams of how sex and relationships came about as a result of evolving rather than creation are worthless time wasting nonsense.

'....

There are some scientists that believe that during the hunter-gather portion of human history, that there was not a lot of monogamy, as it does not appear to be something your average human acts on. And that "monogamy" like "marriage" came about with the agricultural age as a way of making sure that ownership of resources would pass down from one to another, and by bringing in monogamy (of course, females being monogamous) and codified societal relationships would guarantee your particular progeny would inherit those resources since we weren't groups of people running around killing animals and picking berries, where it would be much less important.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Elephants are an example that spring to my mind.

Not really. The herd is made up entirely of females and immature animals. The bulls compete for breeding privileges in season. Who knows which bull will dominate next season.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic

Not at all. Humans choose to go against their instinctual biases all of the time. There is also the naturalistic fallacy, that what is natural is automatically good. Monogamy is really a question of ethics and morality, not science.

As a description of the human race, we are serially monogamous at best.

Upvote 0

Warden_of_the_Storm

Oct 16, 2015
Wales
✟350,618.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Not really. The herd is made up entirely of females and immature animals. The bulls compete for breeding privileges in season. Who knows which bull will dominate next season.

After I typed it out and switched off my laptop for the night, I suddenly realised: damn, that's wrong.
I know there are animals that are monogamous, but I keep forgetting the name of it. I imagine it's something small and furry. Or a bird. It's probably birds.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
After I typed it out and switched off my laptop for the night, I suddenly realised: damn, that's wrong.
I know there are animals that are monogamous, but I keep forgetting the name of it. I imagine it's something small and furry. Or a bird. It's probably birds.

I know that Tundra Swans mate for life.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,226.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
Gibbons.

Upvote 0

Shemjaza

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2006
✟926,226.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Greens
... not an answer I expected to see, to be honest.
They mark territory and scare away invaders with duet screaming from a mated pair.

If you see them at a zoo, they are actually quite cute.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.