Does The Expression:"The Word Became Flesh" refer to Torah?

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
John 1:14. (CLV). And the Word became flesh and tabernacles among us, and we gaze at His glory, a glory as of an only-begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth."

No, because the Greek says that the LOGOS became flesh, and John 1 explains who the LOGOS is.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
No, because the Greek says that the LOGOS became flesh, and John 1 explains who the LOGOS is.
Amen to that. Here is a statement confirming the Logos Theos:
Revelation 4:11. “You are worthy, O Lord,
To receive glory and honor and power;
For You created all things,
And by Your will they exist and were created.”

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,098,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
(CLV) Jn 14:6
Jesus is saying to him, "I am the Way and the Truth and the Life. No one is coming to the Father except through Me.

==================================================
THE WAY

(CLV) Ex 18:20
You will warn them with the statutes and the laws and make known to them the way in which they shall go and the deeds which they shall do.

(CLV) Dt 10:12
And now, Israel, what is Yahweh your Elohim asking of you, save to fear Yahweh your Elohim, to walk in all His ways, to love Him and to serve Yahweh your Elohim with all your heart and with all your soul,

(CLV) Jos 22:5
But observe meticulously to keep the instruction and the law that M woses the servant of Yahweh enjoined on you: to love Yahweh your Elohim and to walk in all His ways, to observe His instructions, to cling to Him and to serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul.

(CLV) 1Ki 2:3
You will keep the charge of Yahweh your Elohim to walk in His ways, to observe His statutes and His instructions, His ordinances and His testimonies as written in the law of Moses, so that you may act intelligently in all that you do and everywhere that you turn around,

(CLV) Ps 119:1
Happy are those whose way is flawless, Who are walking in the law of Yahweh.

(CLV) Pr 6:23
For instruction is a lamp, and law is a light, And the reproofs of admonition are the way to life,

(CLV) Isa 2:3
Many peoples will come and say: Come, and let us ascend to the Mount of Yahweh, To the house of the Elohim of Jacob; And He shall direct us out of His ways, So that we may indeed walk in His paths. For from Zion shall go forth the law, And the word of Yahweh from Jerusalem.

(CLV) Mal 2:8
Yet you withdraw from the way. You cause many to stumble at the law. You ruin the covenant of Levi, says Yahweh of hosts.

(CLV) Ac 24:14
"Yet I am avowing this to you, that, according to the way which they are terming a sect, thus am I offering divine service to the hereditary God, believing all that is written, according to the law and in the prophets,

THE TRUTH

(CLV) Ps 119:142
Your righteousness is eonian righteousness, And Your law is truth.

(CLV) Mal 2:6
The law of truth, it came to be in his mouth, and iniquity, it was not found on his lips. In peace and in uprightness he walked with Me, and turned many back from depravity.

(CLV) Jn 8:31
Jesus, then, said to the Jews who have believed Him, "If ever you should be remaining in My word, you are truly My disciples,

(CLV) Jn 8:32
and you will know the truth, and the truth will be making you free."

(CLV) Ro 2:20
a discipliner of the imprudent, a teacher of minors, having the form of knowledge and the truth in the law.

THE LIFE

(CLV) Jb 33:30
To restore his soul from the pit, To enlighten him with the light of the living.

(CLV) Ps 36:9
For with You is the fountain of life; In Your light shall we see light.

For instruction is a lamp, and law is a light, And the reproofs of admonition are the way to life

===============================================

THE LIGHT

(CLV) Jn 8:12
Again, then, Jesus speaks to them, saying, "I am the Light of the world. He who is following Me should under no circumstances be walking in darkness, but will be having the light of life."

(CLV) Jb 24:13
They are among those revolting against the light; They neither recognize its ways Nor dwell in its tracks.

(CLV) Ps 119:105
Your word is a lamp to my feet, And a light to my tracks.

For instruction is a lamp, and law is a light, And the reproofs of admonition are the way to life,

(CLV) Isa 51:4
Attend to Me, My people, And, My folk, give ear to Me! For a law shall go forth from Me, And My judgment for a light of the peoples.

(CLV) 2Co 6:14
Do not become diversely yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness? Or what communion has light with darkness?

(CLV) 1Jn 1:7
Yet if we should be walking in the light as He is in the light, we are having fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, His Son, is cleansing us from every sin.

THE WORD
===============================================

(CLV) Jn 1:14
And the Word became flesh and tabernacles among us, and we gaze at His glory, a glory as of an only-begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

(CLV) Isa 2:3
Many peoples will come and say: Come, and let us ascend to the Mount of Yahweh, To the house of the Elohim of Jacob; And He shall direct us out of His ways, So that we may indeed walk in His paths. For from Zion shall go forth the law, And the word of Yahweh from Jerusalem.

(CLV) Jn 8:31
Jesus, then, said to the Jews who have believed Him, "If ever you should be remaining in My word, you are truly My disciples,

(CLV) Jn 8:32
and you will know the truth, and the truth will be making you free."

(CLV) Ps 119:105
Your word is a lamp to my feet, And a light to my tracks.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
John 1:14. (CLV). And the Word became flesh and tabernacles among us, and we gaze at His glory, a glory as of an only-begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth."

No. It isn't a reference to the Torah. The Torah is temporal. The One who became flesh is eternal, from everlasting to everlasting. The One who became flesh is the Divine Logos, God the Son.

-CryptoLutheran

• Agree
Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Lo
John 1:14. (CLV). And the Word became flesh and tabernacles among us, and we gaze at His glory, a glory as of an only-begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth."[/QUOTE
Lord Jesus is the Living Word. He was in the beginning. The Torah was not in the beginning. So no, the Lord Jesus is not the Torah.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
We have an expression in English to convey the point of getting to the heart of the matter for clarity in conveying the Truth. We say that for “all intents and purposes”, something to be true. The Logos of God conveys in a very pure sense His intent and purpose behind His creation. This is why the Son of God is described by John as “The Word”, The Logos. Because of this fact, Jesus can say of Himself:

Revelation 22:13. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

We are all what became of Adam. In Christ, we are becoming what The Father Intended.
The Truth that the Son of God is His Logos is fully expressed for “all intents and purposes” in this passage from Paul:
Colossians 1:15. He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist.

Revelation 4:11. [CLV]. Worthy art Thou, O Lord, our Lord and God, To get glory and honor and power; For Thou dost create all, And because of Thy will they were, and are created.

The Logos Theos
The Son of God pre-existed creation. He was in the beginning with God, and for all creation, He is God.

The Holy Spirit hovered over the virgin Mary even as in creation hovering over the face of the waters, and she conceived the child Jesus.

The Son of God became the son of man, and as a young boy of 12, showed Himself to be the Dayspring, the source of divine wisdom, in the temple at Jerusalem before many witnesses, experts of the Law.

At the age of 30, Jesus the son of man, was baptized by John to ‘fulfill all righteousness’, and the spirit descended on Him and remained, taking on the seed of Abraham, The Christ.

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
We are all what became of Adam.
In Messiah, we are becoming what God Intended. [Logos Theos].
Romans 8:29. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son,
hat He might be the firstborn among many brethren.

Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,903.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Acts 24:CLV
14 Yet I am avowing this to you, that, according to the way which they are terming a sect, thus am I offering divine service to the hereditary God, believing all that is written, according to the law and in the prophets,
15 having an expectation in God, which these themselves also are anticipating,
that there shall be a resurrection which is impending for both the just and the unjust."
16 In this, I am exerting myself also, to have a conscience which is no stumbling block
toward God and men, continually."

Paul here affirms that the righteous requirements of the law and the prophets are fulfilled by way of the conscience, guided by the promised Holy Spirit, given by the Ascended Messiah.

2 Corinthians 3:6. who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant,
not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

James 2:12. So speak and so do as those who will be judged by the law of liberty.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,322.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

Indeed, Jesus is the radiance of God's glory and the exact expression of His nature (Hebrews 1:3). Jesus expressed the divine nature or character traits through His actions and what that looked like was sinless obedience to the Torah, so he is the personification of the Torah or the Torah made flesh. The Bible often use the same terms to describe the character of God as it does to describe the character of God's Torah, which is because it is His instructions for how to express His character traits, such as with it being holy, righteous, and good (Romans 7:12), or with justice, mercy, and faithfulness being weightier matters of the Torah (Matthew 23:23). God's ways are His nature and there are many verses that describe the Torah as being instructions for how to walk in God's ways, such as Deuteronomy 10:12-13, Isaiah 2:2-3, Joshua 22:5, Psalms 103:7, and many others.

The Targum is an Aramaic translated of the OT, where they took liberties with the text to add sense to it (Nehemiah 8:8). One of the things that they thought was important was to avoid anthropomorphizing God, so whenever the text said something that would assign a human trait to God, they would replace it with the phrase "Memra of the Lord". So instead of saying that God said something, it would say that the Memra of the Lord said it, thus the Targum attributes Creation to the Memra of the Lord, which is also translated into Greek as "Logos" or into English as "Word". There is a striking resemblance between the opening of John's Gospel and Genesis 1 in the Targum, whereupon John then went on to sequentially ascribe six traits that the Word was considered to have had, so he was definitely drawing upon an already existing concept. So the the Word made flesh is the human personification of God's character traits or nature, which brings us back to the Torah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums