Does the Bible talk about being wrong because of lack of understanding?

Philip1993

Site Supporter
Oct 24, 2019
Minneapolis
✟76,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hey everyone,

Just had a quick curiosity. Among all the things in the world.. everyone finds it difficult or close to impossible to figure everything out. If one figures things out and becomes wrong.. in a sense of learning then failing then learning it all over again, is it considered sinning? Or is this considered a blessing under God's process of learning?

In other means, is it considered a sin for me to get the name of a dog breed wrong? When there are so many different breeds it is hard to figure out exactly which ones are which.

Maybe it is much deeper than that. Considering purpose and understanding how God's gift of life shows us how things do not come to us all the time. We must understand how to open up the hand of God to see what he actually has to offer. Not merely things that are right in front of us because of His creation.

Monksailor

Adopted child of God.
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Port town on west (tan sands) shore line of MI
Visit site
✟187,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am in my 60's, live in Michigan, my father's name was Ford and he worked at Ford but I do not even know a ford from a chevy from an olds and don't care. They are just transportation. It is not a sin to not know. Ignorance is not a sin unless it is selfish or willful ignorance. We are commanded to read and study God's Word and counseled to meditate upon it day and night. If we are truly saved it is my experience that we will have an unquenchable hunger for God's Word, the Word of our and the whole universe's Creator and the essence of our Savior; "the Word made flesh." We will never know all, never; but that is not what Christianity is about. It is NOT a faith of the mind. There used to be cultist heretics back in the 1st century (s) after Jesus resurrection called Gnostics who believed that one ascribed and grew in their religion as a matter of knowledge.

Read ch 14 of Romans and you will see that sin is a matter of the heart; intentions and motives. What is sin for one in God's sight; the same act or thought by another is accepted and righteous in God's sight.

God makes it clear to us what is sin w/o any knowledge learned. Our soul already knows. This is probably due to Adam and Eve when they ate that fruit, apple?, not quite. It was the fruit from the "tree of the knowledge of good and evil." Just as our souls have inherited their sin from that act I believe that this Ro 1 section is referring to the fact that we also inherited the knowledge of good and evil however deceived or deluded we may have become.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟958,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In other means, is it considered a sin for me to get the name of a dog breed wrong? When there are so many different breeds it is hard to figure out exactly which ones are which.
My Bible doesn't include the misidentification of a dog's breed as a sin. Why would you elevate it to such? (Is there something else going on with you?)

x = |4 - 3i|

Can you solve for x...?

It's not what you know, it's Who you know!
The Whites (1988)

Upvote 0

rhern

Jan 31, 2020
MANCHESTER
✟20,992.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Things to consider:
How many ways can a person be saved?
How many denominations are there, are they all correct in their theology? If not which one is right?
If there were 12 Apostles what was the purpose of including Paul?
Does God think it's not important to understand (discern) The Bible?

The Best Way to gain Knowledge in Scripture is to ask questions.
Never settle in one understanding but always be open minded.
Study what you have learned to codify your understanding
There is not one person who can say they know everything about the Bible.
Be suspicious of those who flash their diplomas.
Always ask for scripture to prove the idea.

According to scripture everyone deserves death and eternal damnation but Jesus died as the perfect sacrifice so that they who will believe in Him shall be saved from God's coming wrath.
Knowing that Jesus shed His blood, died, was resurrected to Glory and sits at the right Hand of The Father is the best place to start learning more about our promise of heaven for those written in the Lamb's Book of Life.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟908,362.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hey everyone,

Just had a quick curiosity. Among all the things in the world.. everyone finds it difficult or close to impossible to figure everything out. If one figures things out and becomes wrong.. in a sense of learning then failing then learning it all over again, is it considered sinning? Or is this considered a blessing under God's process of learning?

Maybe it is much deeper than that. Considering purpose and understanding how God's gift of life shows us how things do not come to us all the time. We must understand how to open up the hand of God to see what he actually has to offer. Not merely things that are right in front of us because of His creation.

John 9
“Who is He, Lord, that I may believe in Him?” 37 Jesus said to him, “You have both seen Him, and He is the one who is talking with you.” 38 And he said, “Lord, I believe.” And he worshiped Him. 39 And Jesus said, “For judgment I came into this world, so that those who do not see may see, and that those who see may become blind.” 40 Those of the Pharisees who were with Him heard these things and said to Him, “We are not blind too, are we?” 41 Jesus said to them, “If you were blind, you would have no sin; but since you say, ‘We see,’ your sin remains.

John 8
31 So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; 32 and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.

2 Thess 2
9 that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders, 10 and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. 11 For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, 12 in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness.

To Love Truth - is to love Christ --
John 14
6 Jesus *said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

John 17:17 17 Sanctify them in the truth; Your word is truth.

2 Tim 3: 15 and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Luke 16: 31 But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead.’”

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
...In other means, is it considered a sin for me to get the name of a dog breed wrong?....

I have understood sin is basically that person rejects God, or lives without God. And so, anything that makes you reject God, also becomes sin for you. And the opposite is to be righteous, righteous lives, if he is loyal (faithful) to God.

Behold, his soul is puffed up. It is not upright in him, but the righteous will live by his faith.
Habakkuk 2:4

Upvote 0