Does the Bible Prohibit Pre-Marital Sex?

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟906,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It takes faith to understand the things of God, since you would first have to believe he exists.
I did. He was silent when I as a child prayed daily, nightly, fervently, without waiver. No response. I still had to save myself from my abuser. Yet I did not waiver in faith. Not until I made an intention as an adult to become stronger in my faith, to study deeply the history of the Bible. The archaeology, the evidence in writings. I was left empty. If my fate be damnation, let it be. I was open and I was left alone.

Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I did. He was silent when I as a child prayed daily, nightly, fervently, without waiver. No response. I still had to save myself from my abuser. Yet I did not waiver in faith. Not until I made an intention as an adult to become stronger in my faith, to study deeply the history of the Bible. The archaeology, the evidence in writings. I was left empty. If my fate be damnation, let it be. I was open and I was left alone.
You see this is the very marked difference between a true believer and just a believer: the believer uses himself as the measure to know or understand whether God will respond to him or not but the true believer uses God as the measure.

This is why it says some believe for a while and after a time of testing they fall away. They fall away because they did not consider God as true and themselves as the liar.

I will tell you first and foremost that I have lied and have not been true and faithful. I know that without God those things would define me. But I also know that God is faithful and that everything he does is true. I have seen this firsthand because I believed it. Now, I am no longer defined by my weaker self but rather, I am being transformed into strength and joy measure by measure. Soon I will be complete, lacking in nothing. And this is my inward growth.

I look upon you from the other side and I say, God loves you and if you would only put your trust in him, he would surround you and comfort you.

But if not then know for certain that God is just and has given you the time necessary to repent. If you will not repent then know that not only has God wept for you but so have I. Truly, truly I say this to you.

Upvote 0

comana

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Jan 19, 2005
Colorado
✟906,870.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You see this is the very marked difference between a true believer and just a believer: the believer uses himself as the measure to know or understand whether God will respond to him or not but the true believer uses God as the measure.

This is why it says some believe for a while and after a time of testing they fall away. They fall away because they did not consider God as true and themselves as the liar.

I will tell you first and foremost that I have lied and have not been true and faithful. I know that without God those things would define me. But I also know that God is faithful and that everything he does is true. I have seen this firsthand because I believed it. Now, I am no longer defined by my weaker self but rather, I am being transformed into strength and joy measure by measure. Soon I will be complete, lacking in nothing. And this is my inward growth.

I look upon you from the other side and I say, God loves you and if you would only put your trust in him, he would surround you and comfort you.

But if not then know for certain that God is just and has given you the time necessary to repent. If you will not repent then know that not only has God wept for you but so have I. Truly, truly I say this to you.
Well as we have gone far off topic, I say we leave it here. I know you mean well and your faith guides you. Mine was betrayed until I learned we control our own fate. I became stronger and my depression finally was in the past. I am truly a better, happier person now. I will never go back. Take care. Love is not bound by religion.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
That's exactly what is happening. They are SUPPOSED to be her husbands, which is why Christ said you have had 5 husbands, but in reality they are not because they are all alive at the same time, therefore Christ said "the one you are now with is not your husband." Because the one she is now with was JUST LIKE all the others: adulterous relationships.

by this logic Christ should have said she only had 1 husband since, as you say, you can't have a husband out of adultery. instead, He said she had 5 and the one she was shacking up with was not her husband. by your logic he should have been the sixth husband. she had sex with all of them.

what was the difference?

Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Deuteronomy 22:28-29

if sex before marriage were ok, it wouldn't be seen as a violation and it also wouldn't be called a violation if it were actually marriage.

sex is a consummation of a marriage covenant, not marriage itself.
Sex is the marriage. Think about it real simply for a minute. Mmmmaarrrriage. When two things come together. No no, not just come together: ARE JOINED as ONE THING. That...that is marriage.

So it is fundamental that marriage is directly describing the fleshly union of a man and a woman.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Sex is the marriage. Think about it real simply for a minute. Mmmmaarrrriage. When two things come together. No no, not just come together: ARE JOINED as ONE THING. That...that is marriage.

So it is fundamental that marriage is directly describing the fleshly union of a man and a woman.

that's called consummation of a marriage covenant. you didn't enter a marriage covenant with a chic you laid with at a drunken college party. you violated her, and in OT times you would have been forced to marry her for that.

Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
by this logic Christ should have said she only had 1 husband since, as you say, you can't have a husband out of adultery. instead, He said she had 5 and the one she was shacking up with was not her husband. by your logic he should have been the sixth husband. she had sex with all of them.

what was the difference?
No, by my logic she had NO husbands at all. And look! She said at first to Christ, "I have NO husband." And what did Christ say to her? "What you have said is true" !!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
No, by my logic she had NO husbands at all. And look! She said at first to Christ, "I have NO husband." And what did Christ say to her? "What you have said is true" !!!

so she didn't have sex with any of these 6 people then? why did Christ say she had been in 5 marriages?

also, the reason she said she had no husband was because the guy she was currently shacking up with wasn't her husband....even though they were having sex.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
that's called consummation of a marriage covenant. you didn't enter a marriage covenant with a chic you laid with at a drunken college party. you violated her, and in OT times you would have been forced to marry her for that.
You see how you keep saying "marriage covenant"? That's because that's exactly what that is. An OATH that you will be betrothed to this person. That is not marriage but the covenant! The oath. The marriage is when you actually become one flesh. That's when you married each other.

This is not rocket science. You have to think like a child to get it.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
You see how you keep saying "marriage covenant"? That's because that's exactly what that is. An OATH that you will be betrothed to this person. That is not marriage but the covenant! The oath. The marriage is when you actually become one flesh. That's when you married each other.

This is not rocket science. You have to think like a child to get it.

I also keep saying "consummation" which is what the sex is. consummating that agreement to be together with sex.

Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I also keep saying "consummation" which is what the sex is. consummating that agreement to be together with sex.
Consummation of the covenant to marry IS marriage.

Sex = consummation of covenant to get married

Consummation of covenant to get married = marriage

Sex = marriage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
genesis 29:21-23

why did Jacob call Rachel his wife before they had sex?

genesis 34:1-9

why was sachem having sex with Dinah called a defilement and a humiliation and not a marriage and why did sachem ask to be given Dinah as wife and to "make marriage with us"?

furthermore, why did Dinah's brothers say in the end that sachem was treating her like a prostitute?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
wrong,

they're already married, and now they're cementing that marriage with sex.
Haha, you have no understanding. You simply go by the culture and traditions of the day without actually understanding what it is you are doing. You cannot commit adultery through having a covenant with someone else but Christ said that you commit the adultery in your heart.

You know what I'm thinking when I commit adultery in my heart? The sex! Not the ceremony!

The marriage occurs with the fleshly union itself. Isaac had no ceremony but simply took Rebekah into his mother's tent and married her. As it says,

Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. ~Genesis 2:24

This word IS the institution of MARRIAGE and it has no written instruction of making vows! The vows came AFTER to ENSURE that you do it RIGHT. But from the beginning ALL that was required was the fleshly union for marriage. And people took it seriously enough NOT to corrupt it.

Upvote 0

Kevin Snow

May 14, 2018
Wesley Chapel
✟24,373.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
...right...

because adultery is having sex outside of a marriage covenant. it's not remarriage.
Wrong! The sin of adultery was punishable by death but all a man needed to do was have the father's acceptance:

If a man seduces a virgin who is not betrothed and lies with her, he shall give the bride-price for her and make her his wife. ~Ezekiel 22:16

The reason he only needs his father's acceptance is because that's ALL the ceremony is for: acceptance. The woman is the property of her father and becomes the property of her husband. Now the fleshly union MERITS that they are indeed married but since his father may not necessarily accept the marriage he can refuse. But ALL this was because of SIN and hardness of heart.

Upvote 0