Does the Bible condone slavery?

Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The seed of the serpent will serve the Seed of the woman, yes.
Genesis 3:15
"And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel."
1 Corinthians 9:27
"But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway."
What do these mean?
Oh, did you show where kidnap, rape, and general exploitation is endorsed?
No, I did not.
Can you prove that kidnapping and rape are essential elements of slavery? Kidnapping, by definition, is illegal. Slaves in the Bible, as in the American South, were bought legally and born into slavery legally.

Now, you may well say that this is just as bad as kidnapping, and of course I'd agree with you. But the Bible wouldn't.

I repeat: the Bible endorses slavery, and the case for this is clearly made in the first and second posts of this thread. You've gone thirty-three pages so far without addressing this case.
From my point of view this is quite understandable, as the answer to the question "does the Bible endorse slavery?" is a firm "YES". But if you do have some rebuttals to make to the arguments presented by Pastor Warren in the first and second posts of this thread, please do so.

Last edited:
Reactions: cvanwey
Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It means that we are our worst enemy.

May I take it that these non-answers indicate that you are unable to disagree with Pastor Warren and so concede the debate?
If not - if you are able to address the question and demonstrate that the Bible is anti-slavery - then please do so. So far, thirty-three pages of refusing to address the issue are making a very clear case against you.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
May I take it that these non-answers indicate that you are unable to disagree with Pastor Warren and so concede the debate?
If not - if you are able to address the question and demonstrate that the Bible is anti-slavery - then please do so. Thirty-three pages of dodging the issue is just making it clearer and clearer that the Bible is indeed pro-slavery.

I didn't know pastor Warren was here.

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
You know, @Tone , there comes a point in a debate where the most graceful response is to concede. Or at least to say, "You've given me a lot to think about."

You've given me a lot to be about.

I was going to bring this up earlier:

Thank you for this thread. It has served to bring me much closer to The One!

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You've given me a lot to be about.

I was going to bring this up earlier:

Thank you for this thread. It has served to bring me much closer to The One!
No contradiction. Pastor Warren was also an ardent Christian. You can be a Christian and believe that God is in favour of slavery.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
No contradiction. Pastor Warren was also an ardent Christian. You can be a Christian and believe that God is in favour of slavery.

But not unto an end.

But, as a means.

*This is why contradiction may often be worked out via process.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
But not unto an end.

But, as a means.

*This is why contradiction may often be worked out via process.
Except you've explicitly said, I'm almost certain, that enslaving yourself to God is a good thing and also the end effectively, with the 2nd coming.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, but I've gotten a strong vibe that you see slavery as fine as long as it's the right kind, which is special pleading

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Except you've explicitly said, I'm almost certain, that enslaving yourself to God is a good thing and also the end effectively, with the 2nd coming.

Unless I'm misunderstanding, but I've gotten a strong vibe that you see slavery as fine as long as it's the right kind, which is special pleading

One of my greatest and lasting pleadings to my Master is:

"Whatever it takes to, when all is said and done, have me standing in Your Presence in the end...to see You Face to face...let it be done."

Amen.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
One of my greatest and lasting pleadings to my Master is:

"Whatever it takes to, when all is said and done, have me standing in Your Presence in the end...to see You Face to face...let it be done."

Amen.
My signature says "Thinking of questions that Christians can't answer." And I think you're quite literally proving the point. Thirty-three pages of a thread set up specially for you, at your request, and you have been admirably tenacious in not answering the question.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum.

Are we done now?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
No slave to a harsh taskmaster.

But, to He Whose Burden is Light...

I am a tree planted by the River of Life.
Well, there we have it.
In the Great Debate between slavers and abolitionists, the abolitionists had right on their side, but the slavers had the Bible.
Pastor Warren clearly had nothing to fear from the north's arguments, only its soldiers. That's how the USA won the battle against slavery. Not by quoting the Bible, because they couldn't find quotes to aid them, but by force of arms.

• Agree
Reactions: kybela
Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Well, there we have it.
In the Great Debate between slavers and abolitionists, the abolitionists had right on their side, but the slavers had the Bible.
Pastor Warren clearly had nothing to fear from the north's arguments, only its soldiers. That's how the USA won the battle against slavery. Not by quoting the Bible, because they couldn't find quotes to aid them, but by force of arms.

Looks as though someone didn't hear a word I said...

*Oh well, you can close the thread up from my end...if you want.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Looks as though someone didn't hear a word I said...

*Oh well, you can close the thread up from my end...if you want.
I can see this has been a new topic for you. No doubt it's given you some things to think over. Sometimes it's best to keep an open mind and not immediately dismiss a new idea.
Best wishes,
IA

Upvote 0

Tone

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I can see this has been a new topic for you. No doubt it's given you some things to think over. Sometimes it's best to keep an open mind and not immediately dismiss a new idea.
Best wishes,
IA

Adonai giveth, Adonai taketh...

Blessed be Yahuah.

Upvote 0