Does the Bible condone slavery?

Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So these "slaves," as you call them ... did they just walk up to slave traders and say, "Take me! Take me!"

And the slave traders said, "Not until you sign a deposition on your own accord that you are not being kidnapped."

Is that how it worked?

Because, after all, had they been kidnapped, the slave traders would not be in operation for very long, as they would be placed on Israel's most wanted list.
AV, you're embarrassing yourself. Do you not have the faintest idea about how things worked?
The slaves were prisoners of war, or people who had been made slaves by their own people and then traded with the Isralites, or the children of slaves who were themselves born into slavery, or any of a number of other methods of gaining slaves that would have been approved of by society.

Do you imagine you're making some kind of clever argument here? Because it's more funny than anything else, at this point.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Warren is inexcusably wrong
Okay. Prove it.
nor does he represent the normative Christian view.
Agreed. Most Christians today don't agree with Warren that slavery is good and right. The question is, why do they not believe that? Is it because they base their views on the Bible? Or is it because their views on slavery are morally superior to the Bible?
If the former, then they must have some counterarguments, some way of showing that Warren and the Christians he represented were incorrect to see the bible as endorsing slavery. If the latter, well, good for them - but then you are admitting that the Bible does endorse slavery, and just saying you choose to not follow that part of it.
I might as well say he represents the American view but doing so would be a strawman because this is not what Americans think. Perhaps some of them thought this way at some time and perhaps some still do but largely this type of thinking is condemned.
Yes - but so what? We are not discussing what American think, but what the Bible says.
Christians do not view the texts as you do, they do not use it to justify slavery, perhaps some of them did at one time and perhaps some still do but just like Americans there are some flawed Christians out there.
Yes, they certainly did at one time. It was shortly before they lost a major war and saw society change, irrevocably and forever. That might have had something to do with views on slavery evolving. It certainly wasn't the Bible that changed.
You can read the bible as a pretext for a system that supports slavery or you can read it as a system responding in a greater ancient mindset.
Why not both? How are these things mutually exclusive?
Without a foundational belief of God first it's just stuff that happens with no goal other than survival. With an understanding that there is a God nothing is arbitrary and the flawed actions of man can still be redeemed and move in an ordained direction.
Whether you believe in God or not, that doesn't change the meaning of the words on the paper.
We cannot comment to the degree slavery was embedded in systems 4000 years ago in the middle east and how it affected the individuals a part of it, slave or free nor can we comment how the Hebrew system worked in this, certainly there was injustice but the Hebrew system seems to be about providing justice within this system.
The Bible's views on slavery speak for themselves. Either answer them, or admit that you cannot.
It's flawed to superimpose our thinking over that system or to superimpose that system in our thinking today (or 150 years ago as Warren did). That's not the point of the bible but you seem to be working hard at forcing this flawed view.
This is begging the question. You have yet to provide a single jot of evidence that it is a flawed view.
I get that you think the Bible shouldn't endorse slavery. The problem is, it does.
No one accepts it, you don't, I don't, nor do Christians at large... and the best source you can find in support of this view was 150 years ago so why are we even talking about it?
Because the Bible itself is considerably older than a hundred and fifty years old, and has not changed appreciably in that time. The book that you read today is essentially the book that Pastor Warren was quoting then. It's just that you and he have radically different views on what it means, and in order to resolve the disagreement, you are going to have to argue your case. Simply saying to someone "You're wrong because nobody agrees with you," is extremely poor logic.
This is why it's a strawman. Why should I pick through Warren's comments?
Because as yet, you have not show why any of them are wrong.
I've already pointed out his bias and how his premise is flawed, so do I have to go brick by brick after the foundation is already torn down?
Because it's not torn down at all. All you did was accuse him of racial bias. That is undoubtedly true, but has nothing at all to do with what the Bible says.

Upvote 0
Aug 4, 2006
✟95,047.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So these "slaves," as you call them ... did they just walk up to slave traders and say, "Take me! Take me!"

And the slave traders said, "Not until you sign a deposition on your own accord that you are not being kidnapped."

Is that how it worked?

Because, after all, had they been kidnapped, the slave traders would not be in operation for very long, as they would be placed on Israel's most wanted list.
Oh, and by the way:
Exodus 21:16 Commentaries: "He who kidnaps a man, whether he sells him or he is found in his possession, shall surely be put to death.
Most kidnapping was of foreigners; and this was a practice of which the laws of states took no cognizance, though a certain disrepute may have attached to it. But the kidnapping of a fellow-country-man was generally punished with severity.

Which is just what you'd expect. The laws against kidnapping and enslaving applied mainly to fellow-countrymen, as the commentary put it. There was nothing wrong with taking slaves from other countries, or with trading slaves with other countries, or with children of slaves growing up to be slaves themselves.

I mean, it wouldn't make much sense to have a book of rules where a number of them said "take and keep slaves as much as you like, and this is how to beat them, sell them, buy them and inherit them," and another one said, "And by the way, it's wrong to take slaves." And of course, the Bible does not. All it does is say that it's wrong to enslave the people of your own country. As you might expect.

I hope that's clear now?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think that these parts of Pastor Warren's sermon, quoted in the OP, are particularly instructive. He seems to set out the case very well.

It's as he says:
If God were actually anti-slavery, then He would have said something against slavery, instead of providing uses to support and regulate it. If God were actually anti-slavery, then Jesus would have said something against it - as He did against so many things, rather than referring to it in praising or neutral terms, and having followers who actively praised the institutution of slavery.

I am unable to comment on the moral motivations of ancient people groups with regard to slavery. We are not given personal accounts of how this actually played out, how slaves were treated by Hebrews or any positive/negative impact these systems had on surrounding areas or the impact of a slave freed and it if it had a positive/negative impact on their livelihood or desired by the slave. all we have are the laws laid out to govern the system in that ancient world view. This is not enough to make the conclusions that Warren makes or to continue to make conclusions about how these laws implicitly value slavery.

Warren states as you requote "[God] denounced idolatry, covetousness, adultery, fornification, hypocrisy, and many other sins of less moral turpitude, but never once reproved them for holding slaves" those same sins Warren highlights also are about how people are treated (and other sins he didn't highlight). Other cultures would have no objections acting these things out upon their slaves as their views wouldn't value a slave's humanity but these are not biblically held views and contrast how other competing cultures viewed and defined slaves.

We are given words like "slave" and immediately have a picture of what that means. That picture is then superimposed on any context we see that uses these words. This is done so irresponsibly because we cannot guarantee their similarities and it does not factor in greater cultural complexities that we have no understanding of nor does it factor in original languages used and nuances of words that are incompatible with our own. Instead, we only use our abstract western world views to make judgments and wag our fingers.

I do not know how slaves were treated by Hebrews or how slaves of Hebrews desired their positions and neither do you and neither did Warren. The bible simply does not give us these details to make these conclusions nor does it demand God to be in support of these systems at large. Christians are called to be slaves to our mission and to abandon our identities to serve others for the sake of the gospel. The bible speaks of being slaves to sin, then freed and becoming slaves to God. Perhaps the ancient Hebrew system modelled this same value strategically that no matter what we cannot escape slavery but when we are slaves of God we are treated as sons. You seem to be forcing a narrow view of something over a context you have no understanding of and then pretending this is a good argument.

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
Right... the op is still a strawman and so is your argument. There is plenty of biblical support and even laws that reject the system of chattel slavery

Do you even know what I said, in the response for which you quoted?

Here it is again, for your re-evaluation:

"God chooses to remain ambiguous, regarding slavery. A chattel slaver can justify their actions, using the Bible."

And furthermore, can you identify the straw man argument quoted above?

Speaking of straw man, if you wish to actually engage in my question, please look at both posts #415 and #487.

Thank you

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
@cvanwey it's pretty clear what's going on. They know they're wrong but just don't want to admit it. We can't blame fhem, I think, but facts are facts. Read the Bible, and it speaks for itself: slavery is good.

Honestly @InterestedAtheist , I'm not sure yet myself? It's either blatant cognitive dissonance, or what you stated?

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
It's not even cherry picking, it's a persuasive definition fallacy, bordering on Loki's wager almost, which I'd never heard about, though I'm also not up on my Norse mythos as much as I'd like to be.

@AV1611VET attests that a slave must be 'kidnapped'. And yet, when I press him, even a hair, he runs away immediately. It would sure be nice if he, and others whom want to follow suit, would address post #487, just for starters.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Honestly @InterestedAtheist , I'm not sure yet myself? It's either blatant cognitive dissonance, or what you stated?
Don't slave too hard at trying to find something that supports your denigration of the Jews.

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
Ummm yeah, Exodus has a bit to do with slavery...

Very disappointing @Tone ....

(Me) - post #408 If I take the time to address this video, are you actually going to engage accordingly?

(You) - post # 409 That's all I do here at the CF. I give what I can.

I then started to give time and evaluate the video, for which you apparently approve upon. -- Via post #415. I wait, and then your response is only what you gave above?

Wow, my hunch seems to have been correct all along. My intuition was to ignore the video, for the very reason I suspected and asked, in post #408. You are not willing to address or challenge your own assertions. You simply like stating them.

Why engage to begin with? This is a debate forum. Not an assert, then run away forum. Just hop along your merry way, thinking what you want to think, unchallenged. But don't bring it here.

Tisk tisk @Tone . Tisk tisk...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Very disappointing @Tone ....

(Me) - post #408 If I take the time to address this video, are you actually going to engage accordingly?

(You) - post # 409 That's all I do here at the CF. I give what I can.

I then started to give time and evaluate the video, for which you apparently approve upon. -- Via post #415. I wait, and then your response is only what you gave above?

Wow, my hunch seems to have been correct all along. My intuition was to ignore the video, for the very reason I suspected and asked, in post #408. You are not willing to address or challenge your own assertions. You simply like stating them.

Why engage to begin with? This is a debate forum. Not an assert, then run away forum. Just hop along your merry way, thinking what you want to think, unchallenged. But don't bring it here.

Tisk tisk @Tone . Tisk tisk...

I'm sorry @cvanwey . I don't really understand your argument.

I admit, my mind has been elsewhere of late, but I have taken steps to get back on track.

Please give me a little more time.

Thank you.

• Friendly
Reactions: cvanwey
Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
You're slaving the Bible and expecting us to agree.

Of course we already know you do not 'agree'. But you have failed to engage, in the slightest, as to why we doubters are wrong. Do you not understand how a debate forum actually works?

I'll give you a simple scenario. One for which you will claim you will not read, due to whatever ad hoc/post hoc reasons you decide to apply, in the moment; but I have a sneaking hunch you actually will read anyways :)

Say you are born 2500 years ago. You are offspring from servants/slaves/whatever parents, while they are serving. You get older, let's say 9 years of age. A person comes along, from another region, and wishes to buy you. Remember, you are NOT a slave right, because you were not 'kidnapped'? According to the Bible, the purchaser committed a fair and square commercial deal, ala - (Leviticus 25:44-46).

Follow up questions:

1. Does your parents have a say in the matter? I doubt it

2. Do you have a say in the matter? I doubt it
3. Are you ever allowed to leave? no
4. Does the purchaser have to give what reasons he beats you? apparently not
5. Is the purchaser restricted as to how often he can beat you? apparently not
6. Are you considered his property/money/possession for life? apparently so

Thus, I ask you again, what is the difference between a 'servant' and a 'slave', Biblically speaking?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"God chooses to remain ambiguous, regarding slavery. A chattel slaver can justify their actions, using the Bible."
Biblical slave regulations are for ancient Hebrews in an ancient world. It has nothing to do with modern understanding of slavery... or 400 year old understanding of it. Ambiguity is not enough to say God supports these systems you are superimposing over the text.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,907,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But you have failed to engage, in the slightest, as to why we doubters are wrong.
That's because I know why you're wrong.

You're taking a word in the Bible and retronyming it by taking it back to a word from Wrong's Concordance, then bringing it forward into Modern English and claiming the Bible is wrong.

Thus you take "servant" in the Bible and retronym it to "slave" by taking "servant" back to ... what was it? ... "ebed?" ... then bringing it back forward to "slave."

You then expect us to think you've made a good point when, in fact, you're just blowing smoke.

That's why you're wrong.

Upvote 0

cvanwey

May 10, 2018
California
✟144,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Private
That's because I know why you're wrong.

You're taking a word in the Bible and retronyming it by taking it back to a word from Wrong's Concordance, then bringing it forward into Modern English and claiming the Bible is wrong.

Thus you take "servant" in the Bible and retronym it to "slave" by taking "servant" back to ... what was it? ... "ebed?" ... then bringing it back forward to "slave."

You then expect us to think you've made a good point when, in fact, you're just blowing smoke.

That's why you're wrong.

Post #558:

Say you are born 2500 years ago. You are offspring from servants/slaves/whatever parents, while they are serving. You get older, let's say 9 years of age. A person comes along, from another region, and wishes to buy you. Remember, you are NOT a slave right, because you were not 'kidnapped'? According to the Bible, the purchaser committed a fair and square commercial deal, ala - (Leviticus 25:44-46).

Follow up questions:

1. Does your parents have a say in the matter? I doubt it
2. Do you have a say in the matter? I doubt it
3. Are you ever allowed to leave? no
4. Does the purchaser have to give what reasons he beats you? apparently not
5. Is the purchaser restricted as to how often he can beat you? apparently not
6. Are you considered his property/money/possession for life? apparently so

Thus, I ask you again, what is the difference between a 'servant' and a 'slave', Biblically speaking?

Last edited:
Upvote 0