Does the belief have to be like this to be saved?

JohnB445

Aug 24, 2018
Illinois
✟176,748.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My pastor has told us believing that Jesus is God is not enough.

You need to put faith in all these to be saved, and trust it with your heart not your mind.

1. Believe that we are sinners in danger of hell.
2. Believe that the Bible is the word of God
3. Believe in the Trinity, Father, Son, Holy Spirit
4. Believe that Jesus is God
5. Believe that you cannot do anything to earn salvation (save yourself) you are a sinner no matter what.
6. Believe what Jesus did for you. He died on the cross for your sins, was buried, and rose on the third day.
7. Trust the finish work on the cross, that what Jesus did is sufficient for salvation.

We are taught if you do not believe in all of these 7 points, you will not be saved. Especially if you do not believe in the Death, burial, and resurrection. You need to believe in all 3.

I believe that I am saved because I believe in all these. I actually felt assurance once I believed in all of this. But this happened all at once, I believed in all 7 points in an instant.

I was curious, is it really that strict? Or is it more simple and he was complicating things?

We were also taught if you trusted in yourself for salvation, you will end up paying the penalty for your sins ultimately.

That kind of scared me which is why I don't want to do works because I am afraid I if I do works I will accidentally trust in myself.

I think this maybe is because my pastor claims he was Christian for 18 years but was never saved, and he claims because he trusted in himself of what he does. I think that kinda put him in paranoia to make all these conditions of belief for one to get saved. I don't blame him.

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It sounds like your pastor is still trusting in what he does, only now he is trusting in his perfect beliefs instead of his perfect actions. Items #1-7 are good things to believe, but neither the Bible nor the early creeds list all 7 as items that must be believed in order to be saved. We are saved because of the work of Christ, not because we have exactly correct beliefs about how the atonement works.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

GodsGrace101

Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2018
Tuscany
✟231,507.00
Country
Italy
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

You need to put faith in all these to be saved, and trust it with your heart not your mind.

5. Believe that you cannot do anything to earn salvation (save yourself) you are a sinner no matter what.
6. Believe what Jesus did for you. He died on the cross for your sins, was buried, and rose on the third day.
7. Trust the finish work on the cross, that what Jesus did is sufficient for salvation.

We are taught if you do not believe in all of these 7 points, you will not be saved. Especially if you do not believe in the Death, burial, and resurrection. You need to believe in all 3.

I believe that I am saved because I believe in all these. I actually felt assurance once I believed in all of this. But this happened all at once, I believed in all 7 points in an instant.

I was curious, is it really that strict? Or is it more simple and he was complicating things?

We were also taught if you trusted in yourself for salvation, you will end up paying the penalty for your sins ultimately.

That kind of scared me which is why I don't want to do works because I am afraid I if I do works I will accidentally trust in myself.

I think this maybe is because my pastor claims he was Christian for 18 years but was never saved, and he claims because he trusted in himself of what he does. I think that kinda put him in paranoia to make all these conditions of belief for one to get saved. I don't blame him.
You're afraid of doing works?
This is what Jesus said to do.
Should we trust Him or your pastor?

Can't write too much right now...

• Friendly
Reactions: JohnB445
Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am seeing a few things missing: Repentance, calling, confessing ....

Mark 1:15
and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”

Acts 2:21
‘And it shall be that everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.’

Romans 10:9
that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

• Agree
Reactions: JohnB445
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Your pastor probably means well. But acting and thinking like a Christian doesn't make you one. But this is the norm today. The truth is, whosoever believes in Jesus has eternal life. The details come later as you seek to learn more about him.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believing that, as a result of believing all you listed, you are justified in confidently believing that you are saved. I also believe that to know you are saved, you have to stop believing....move passed belief. A dangerous proposition to go to the end....believing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

He had to use his mind to work out from the bible those 7 points yet he says don't use your mind to believe them.
How very strange.
Christianity is based on historical facts so our minds are an important part of how we believe. We are told always give a 'reason' for ones faith.
Giving a reason means using ones mind to be able to explain the gospel.

May I suggest you start reading apologetics and asking questions of your pastors reasoning in his surmons.
Ask him to demonstrate the historic reliability of the bible?

Upvote 0