Apr 13, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
✟8,426.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is another poll, similar to Shernren's but with 3 differences:
- The options are more general, for eg. rather than "homosexuals can be pastors" I have "a homosexual lifestyle is contrary to God's will"
- This time the options are worded so that the more conservative you are, the more likely you are to vote. I couldn't register a vote on shernren's poll because I didn't agree with any of the choices.
- We get to compare TEs and YECs

shernren

you are not reading this.
Feb 17, 2005
Shah Alam, Selangor
Visit site
✟26,381.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
To qualify, I think that under normal circumstances men and women have slightly different roles in the family. Of course biologically speaking there are some things you can't run away from. :p

But spiritually, I feel that the ideal situation is of course that the husband will lead the household. Having said that, I don't believe that this ideal situation exists in many households, and the wife should not feel that there is anything wrong in being the spiritual leader of the house, given that she understands that it is not the ideal situation but the best she can do under those circumstances (e.g. a single-parent mother, Christian mother married to non-Christian husband, etc).

The bigger "family" issue is the question of divorce. One Scriptural implication YECs seem to miss (among many others) is that in using the Matthew 19:4 and Mark 10:8 proof-texts, they seem to imply that if one does not begin where Jesus begins according to them (at a literal, historical, indicative reading of Genesis 1 and 2) then logically one would not be able to arrive at Jesus' conclusion - that divorce displeases God. Of course, we know that there is no such thing, and evolutionists have as much reason to be opposed to (unnecessary) divorce as creationists.

Upvote 0

Mandrake

Brother Cattle Prod of Reasoned Discussion
Mar 5, 2006
✟17,078.00
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
1) While men and women do often have different roles in church and family life, I don't think those roles are immutable and I don't think that they are or ought to be defined by gender.

2) I don't think that homosexuality is contrary to the will of God. I think that passages about it are informed by a cultural milieu that predisposed people to thinking that different meant evil, and that, removed from said milieu, we ought to distance ourselves from it's biases.

3) I've yet to see someone convincingly demonstrate when life begins. I don't think that abortion is a good thing, and wouldn't advocate it's employment (for entirely peosonal reasons), but I can't say that I think it ends a human life.

4) I have found Christianity a unique, powerful, and life-changing path within my own life. but I don't think that that precludes others from finding a similar vehicle in another religion, and I think that God will honour their faithfulness to said other religion.

5) I think that the resurrection really happened, as a physical event, though I respect those who make a case from within and without the Christian tradition that it didn't. My eschatological opinions are, well, they're something. I think that eschatology is so muddled in the Bible that there's not much of a way to figure out what's going to happen. So I guess I could have said no to this one too, but I think that the resurrection outweighs the endtimes. So there.

Yeah, by culture wars definitions, I'm a liberal. I'm comfortable with that, and hope that people here won't hate me now that I'm out.

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
I no more think that TE = liberalism than I think that what you believe about the eucharist affects how you vote.

Personally, I'm probably as liberal as they can get on the above issues; but that's my personal pilgrimage and nothing to do with what I think about evolution.

I don't really understand the need for this question; one doesn't choose to accept the theory of evolution on moral grounds. One accepts evolution because it fits all the known facts of science. YECism does not, and also tries to read a post-enlightenment understanding of truth onto a pre-enlightenment text.

I don't feel I want to answer this poll; it just seems pointless. My views on origins are not formed because of my views on divorce; or vice-versa.

Upvote 0

gluadys

Legend
Mar 2, 2004
Toronto
✟31,520.00
Faith
Protestant
Politics
CA-NDP
Well, I am still not going to vote, because I still have problems with the wording and unstated implications.

e.g. to me homosexuality is a condition, not a life-style.

also

I would agree that abortion is the taking of a precious human life, but I don't consider that necessarily makes it wrong. There is at least one, and often more than one, other precious human life to take into consideration as well.

'nuff said.

AS arty says, what one believes about evolution is not based on what one believes about morals or vice versa. It is not a package deal.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
I would agree that abortion is the taking of a precious human life, but I don't consider that necessarily makes it wrong. There is at least one, and often more than one, other precious human life to take into consideration as well.
Likewise.

Upvote 0

Ethan_Fetch

Veteran
Mar 2, 2006
Detroit Area
✟1,801.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Theistic Evolutionists I know are among the most solid people on moral/ethical concerns.

I'm YEC but I am pretty much lockstep with these folks.

ETA:

My only problem with the TE's on this board is their rather cavalier and condescending dismissal of YEC people and their beliefs. But, I admit, I don't spend much time in the discussion and realize they are probably just weary veterans of battles in which they're called "Liberal", or "Atheistic" or "Ignorant of Scripture" every time they voice their opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fragmentsofdreams

Critical loyalist
Apr 18, 2002
CA
Visit site
✟28,828.00
Faith
Catholic
Ethan_Fetch said:
The poll is interesting because it shows a remarkable consistency among YEC respondants while there are, clearly, differences among TE respondants.

Whether this is due to the wording of the positions though, I don't know.

I think it has to with the methods that leads one to believe TE leave more room for interpretation. Whatever one thinks of literalism, it is fairly straightforward, at least at its most basic level.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.