Does Spirit baptism still happen today by the laying on of hands?

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Acts of the Apostles 8:15-17.

I see this passage above as referring to a unique event in church history.
Acts of the Apostles 8:15-17 was a situation where Simon needed to be weeded out in receiving the Spirit until his heart was officially right with God.

Does somebody have other verses to support Spirit baptism by the laying on of hands?

Last edited:

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Acts of the Apostles 19:1-5.

I see these passages as referring to unique events in church history.
Acts of the Apostles 8:15-17 was a situation where Simon needed to be weeded out in receiving the Spirit until his heart was officially right with God.
Acts of the Apostles 19:1-5 was a situation where the Ephesians were not even aware of the Holy Ghost, and thus they needed to receive the Spirit via by Spirit baptism by the laying on of hands.

Does somebody have other verses to support Spirit baptism by the laying on of hands?

Yes, Spirit baptism still happens today by laying on of hands. It is called Chrismation.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Acts of the Apostles 19:1-5 was a situation where the Ephesians were not even aware of the Holy Ghost, and thus they needed to receive the Spirit via by Spirit baptism by the laying on of hands.

Why the Baptism with the Holy Spirit is not for Today

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

It is entirely unnecessary to lay hands on someone to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit was given to the Lord Jesus when He was exalted. He poured out the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost. There is no need to pray, fast, tarry, or anything else except receive. It's a gift. Enjoy.

Those who reckon its not for today, you are in error. John and Charles Wesley accepted it as valid and Charles Wesley wrote a number of hymns referring to it. The great Welsh revival was prefaced by the restoration of the BOHS to the church in Wales. For sure there have been excesses and error. Satan hates and fears the power of the Holy Spirit and tries either to suppress the gift or push people into carnal excess. That does not invalidate the gift.

There is no Biblical foundation for believing that the gifts have ceased.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is entirely unnecessary to lay hands on someone to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit was given to the Lord Jesus when He was exalted. He poured out the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost. There is no need to pray, fast, tarry, or anything else except receive. It's a gift. Enjoy.

Those who reckon its not for today, you are in error. John and Charles Wesley accepted it as valid and Charles Wesley wrote a number of hymns referring to it. The great Welsh revival was prefaced by the restoration of the BOHS to the church in Wales. For sure there have been excesses and error. Satan hates and fears the power of the Holy Spirit and tries either to suppress the gift or push people into carnal excess. That does not invalidate the gift.

The foundation for the gifts ceasing is in the means of distribution ceasing, i.e. the Apostles. If only one person had the gifts it would be world wide headline news. And the sick from around the world would be parked on their doorstep.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The foundation for the gifts ceasing is in the means of distribution ceasing, i.e. the Apostles. If only one person had the gifts it would be world wide headline news. And the sick from around the world would be parked on their doorstep.
Funny about that. I received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit Christmas Eve, 1974. Healing is one of the gifts. I had the gift on just one occasion, an emergency situation. I was saying to myself that God was not going to heal the person when He broke through and said that He would. Faith rose up in me and the guy was healed instantly. I've not had the same gift since.

One person who had the gift of healing is the late Harry Greenwood. I went to a number of his meetings in Australia. They were always packed. I knew some of the recipients of healing personally. It was genuine. The problem with healing is the climate of doubt and unbelief. It's in the Word. Lord Jesus could not do many miracles in one city for exactly that reason.

Another I know of is Steve Ryder, an evangelist. He's getting on in years. Most of his ministry has been to the unchurched, as you'd expect. He has a gift of healing and many testimonies to that effect.

The Apostolic calling, power and authority has not ceased. Watchman Nee founded hundreds of churches in China. There were many miracles in the process.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Funny about that. I received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit Christmas Eve, 1974. Healing is one of the gifts. I had the gift on just one occasion, an emergency situation. I was saying to myself that God was not going to heal the person when He broke through and said that He would. Faith rose up in me and the guy was healed instantly. I've not had the same gift since.

One person who had the gift of healing is the late Harry Greenwood. I went to a number of his meetings in Australia. They were always packed. I knew some of the recipients of healing personally. It was genuine. The problem with healing is the climate of doubt and unbelief. It's in the Word. Lord Jesus could not do many miracles in one city for exactly that reason.

Another I know of is Steve Ryder, an evangelist. He's getting on in years. Most of his ministry has been to the unchurched, as you'd expect. He has a gift of healing and many testimonies to that effect.

The Apostolic calling, power and authority has not ceased. Watchman Nee founded hundreds of churches in China. There were many miracles in the process.
The prayer of faith heals. But if you had one of the gifts, you would do no differently than the miracles the Apostles performed. Healing paraplegics, raising the dead, etc., etc.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Spirit baptism is by Yeshua with or into The Holy Spirit (Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; Acts 11:16)

Yes, I see the receiving of the gift of the Holy Spirit (i.e. Spirit baptism) as happening for the believer today when they accept Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior and in seeking forgiveness of their sins with Him, and in believing in His death, burial, and resurrection on their behalf for salvation. In these cases, the disciples were told that they would be baptized into the Spirit later (Which happened for them and for the other Jewish believers at Pentecost). Cornelius, and his family (who were Gentiles) received the Spirit when Peter told them about the salvation in Jesus to them.

The above verses (you mentioned) did not involve the laying on of hands to receive the Spirit. I see the laying on of hands to receive the Spirit in Acts of the Apostles 8:9-24, and Acts of the Apostles 19:1-6 as special unique circumstances. The laying on of hands to receive the Spirit was not another additional Spirit baptism, but it was merely a means to receive the Spirit for the first time because the Spirit was not yet given to them (because of certain circumstances). Generally, most should normally receive the Spirit as a gift when they repent (i.e. seek forgiveness with the Lord Jesus Christ) and they believe on Him and what He has done for their salvation and the forgiveness of their sin. For whoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved (Romans 10:13).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,600.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The prayer of faith heals. But if you had one of the gifts, you would do no differently than the miracles the Apostles performed. Healing paraplegics, raising the dead, etc., etc.
You have no idea what the Lord has done through me. Or other Christians for that matter. People have been raised from the dead. I repeat my previous remark. What stifles the work of the Holy Spirit is the doubt and unbelief that is prevalent in this age.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

I believe non-miraculous gifts are definitely for today, like teaching, evangelism, helping others, discernment, etc.; I can also see how healings may be done sometimes, but the need for tongues and prophecy in my view appears to have ceased because we have a complete Bible. The purpose of tongues was prophecy and the Bible is all the prophecy we need today. That said, I do not discount the small possibility that tongues and or prophecy may still continue and I am misinterpreting certain verses. I say this because I don't want to condemn myself in speaking against God if I am wrong. But for me: The Cessation argument does appear to be a solid and convincing argument when looking at all the points presented biblically (See this thread here). But it is not exactly like there is a command or a clear passage that clearly defines the end of the miraculous gifts, either. It is more hidden for one to see. So I am on the fence and I declare that we look through a glass darkly. Now, there is a lot of false stuff out there. Even many Pentecostals and Charismatics will admit this. This is something that we should be on our guard against. For me: My soul is too important to play games with. If for some reason the miraculous gifts have ceased, then why would I go outside the Bible and risk my eternal soul? For me: The safer play is to focus on the more important things like loving God, and loving others. But again, I am not declaring that all those who claim to work by the gifts by the Spirit are false. I have two friends who believe they operate by the power of the Spirit. For me: I claim it to be an unknown, and the safer play is to not to partake of it personally for myself (Just in case they may be wrong). My mission is to love God and to love the brethren, and all people.

Side Note:

The gift of apostleship is definitely not for today. The requirements for the gift of apostleship was to see the risen Lord. Even some Charismatics will admit to this fact. Some are not willing to see this (of course).

Last edited:
Reactions: Jamsie
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have no idea what the Lord has done through me. Or other Christians for that matter. People have been raised from the dead. I repeat my previous remark. What stifles the work of the Holy Spirit is the doubt and unbelief that is prevalent in this age.
I know what scripture says. And I don't think any have the real gifts today. But might think they do until they study the originals and find they don't.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Laying on of hands - take that to mean - it can happen that way. Example - Lay hands on the sick and they will recover Mark 16:18 while other Scriptures dont specify laying on of hands such as Matt 10:1, Luk 9:2

As far as baptisms - there's a doctrine of baptismS,..." (Heb 6:2) There's 3 baptisms; specifically:

1 - By The Holy Spirit into Jesus is the baptism for salvation (blood baptism)
(Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13: Acts 2:38: Gal 3:27, +++)
Also, "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise," Eph 1:13

Water and Spirit baptism follows - not in a set order:
2 - By another believer (water baptism) (Matt 28:19++++!)
3 - By Jesus with or into The Holy Spirit (The Spirit baptism)
(Matt 3:11; Mark 1:8, Luke 3:16; Acts 11:16++++)'

"And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

Last edited:
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Laying on of hands - take that to mean - it can happen that way. Example - Lay hands on the sick and they will recover Mark 16:18 while other Scriptures dont specify laying on of hands such as Matt 10:1, Luk 9:2

As far as baptisms - there's a doctrine of baptismS,..." (Heb 6:2) There's 3 baptisms; specifically:

(Rev 1:5; Matt 26:28; Mark 1:4, 16:16; Luk 3:3; 1 Cor 12:13: Acts 2:38: Gal 3:27, +++)
Also, "In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that Holy Spirit of promise," Eph 1:13

"And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one." I John 5:7-8

I suppose I want to ask is there any place in the Bible where a person received the Spirit as a gift as a part of salvation and then they were later baptized into the Spirit for a specific purpose? So far I am only seeing the baptism of the Spirit as the receiving of the Holy Spirit as a gift (Which is a part of the salvation package).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Now that I have some time. The laying on of hands is one of the "elementary principles" of Christianity:

Heb 6:1 - Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,

Heb 6:2 - of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

The writer describes those principles before going into a more mature discussion of the faith. The principles are ceasing mortal sin, faith, baptism, chrismation, and judgment.

Those are the principles of the gospel. Anything else is some "other gospel" we are told to reject, see Galatians 1:8-9. Anyone preaching some other gospel is anathema.

• Winner
Reactions: panman
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

As for the laying on of hands:

Yes, it appears that the laying on of hands took place as a part of:

#1. Healing (Mark 16:18, Acts of the Apostles 28:8) (Note: James 5:14-15 could involve the laying on of hands but it is not specifically stated.) (Note: Is this kind of healing a 100% guarantee today? Is the healing we seen done in the early church the same as we see today? I believe it depends on God and our faith; But the New Testament gives us the impression that the apostles did not always have the gift to heal 100% of the time. This is why I believe it also depends on God's will and if it fits in His greater plan for good.).
#2. Giving the Spirit to others (if they did not have the Spirit yet) (Acts of the Apostles 8:9-24, and Acts of the Apostles 19:1-6) (Note: Does this still happen today? It is unknown to this author on whether this is something that happens today; While it is certainly possible, it seemed more like something for the early church.).
#3. Receiving miraculous gifts (See: Acts of the Apostles 6:5-8). Stephen already was already in the fullness of the Holy Ghost (Acts of the Apostles 6:5) before they laid hands on him before he did great wonders and miracles before the people. This also seems to be a similar thing we see in 1 Timothy 4:14 and 2 Timothy 1:6 (Note: I believe the safer play on behalf of our own souls is to only lay hands on a person to impart non-miraculous gifts like teaching, evangelism, helping the poor, and discernment, etc.; For I believe there is a strong possibility that the miraculous gifts given to believers (not miracles in general) most likely have ceased; See this CF thread here to learn more).
#4. Ministering to others the good news, i.e. missionary trips (Acts of the Apostles 13:3).
#5. Ordination of a specific spiritual position or office for service to the Lord (Numbers 8:9-11) (Numbers 27:15-19) (Note: 1 Timothy 5:22 implies this indirectly but it is not directly stated or explicitly mentioned).​

This is what I see as the first important part of the teaching on the laying on of hands.

A second important point on the teaching on the laying on of hands is that 1 Timothy 5:22 says we are to be careful who we lay our hands upon in service to the Lord so that we are not partakers in their evil deeds. Meaning, we have to make sure that the person we are ordaining for the service of the Lord is a person who is truly faithful and worthy of such service. In other words, we just do not lay our hands on just anyone to be in the service to the Lord.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Now that I have some time. The laying on of hands is one of the "elementary principles" of Christianity:

Heb 6:1 - Therefore, leaving the discussion of the elementary principles of Christ, let us go on to perfection, not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works and of faith toward God,

Heb 6:2 - of the doctrine of baptisms, of laying on of hands, of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment.

The writer describes those principles before going into a more mature discussion of the faith. The principles are ceasing mortal sin, faith, baptism, chrismation, and judgment.

Those are the principles of the gospel. Anything else is some "other gospel" we are told to reject, see Galatians 1:8-9. Anyone preaching some other gospel is anathema.

See my recent post #17.
I just posted it before seeing your post here.
Is my post #17 in reference to the same basic teaching that you know of on the laying on of hands?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
To all:

Please refresh the page. I updated post #17 to include a second part teaching on the laying on of hands (Which I feel needs to be stressed or pointed out).

Blessings to you all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ today.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
See my recent post #17.
I just posted it before seeing your post here.
Is my post #17 in reference to the same basic teaching that you know of on the laying on of hands?

The "principle" of laying on hands mention at Hebrews 6 is bestowing the Holy Spirit on a new believer. The other are, as you said above, blessing a person for a specific ministry. Even Paul, who was chrismated by Ananias in Damascus, and Barnabas had hands laid on them before they were sent out from Antioch, see Acts 13:2-3.

What Paul wrote to Timothy about was Timothy's elevation to bishop, which is also by laying on hands.

Not all believers are qualified for every office. Even Philip having the Holy Spirit could not bestow the Holy Spirit on the Samaritans even though he performed miracles and baptized them. He sent for Peter and John to do it.

Upvote 0