Does Song of Solomon say that Jesus is our lover?

moonbeam

Site Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
✟33,604.00
Faith
Calvinist
In a recent thread, a poster said he found himself singing a romantic song to Jesus, his "lover".

When I asked him if he was serious, he said yes, because of something Song of Solomon says, although he didn't name the verse.

Has anybody ever heard of such a thing before?

Does the LORD love you ?

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

In the nineteenth century various Christians were scandalized by the content of the Song of Solomon. Some decided it could not actually mean anything close to the way it is written. As a result, these Victorians gave it a spiritual spin in which the primary character (Solomon) is really God expressing his great love for His bride, the Church.

IMO, this is creative spin which is unsupported by the text. There are, however, many christian bodies which cling tenaciously to this view.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's a rather crude way of putting it.

You guys in the Reformed camp, of course, generally don't believe there is a distinction now between Israel and the church.

To me, a dispensationalist, it seems clear that the relationship is between Israel and her beloved.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
To me, a dispensationalist, it seems clear that the relationship is between Israel and her beloved.

Song of Solomon 7:7,8

I don't think your interpretation really fits. The entire book seems a little too long and detailed to work primarily as an analogy. Besides that, it's a little too sensuous to be much like the relationship between Israel and her beloved, as you say.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Song of Solomon 7:7,8

I don't think your interpretation really fits. The entire book seems a little too long and detailed to work primarily as an analogy. Besides that, it's a little too sensuous to be much like the relationship between Israel and her beloved, as you say.

I don't see the church in the Old Testament.

But, then, probably unlike you, I'm into Uncle John Nelson Darby and Cyrus I. Scofield's way of looking at dispensations.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What makes you think….I meant it in the romantic way….You Thought ?

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face is a romantic song that uses amatory language and phrasing and describes, among other things, a sexual encounter. It ain't Spike Jones.

Singing "the first time ever I kissed your mouth" and "the first time ever I lay with you" to Jesus seems really creepy on a number of levels to me, not to mention grossly Unbiblical.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

gord44

Nov 4, 2004
✟27,716.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One could look at it from an almost Valentinian idea of Jesus reuniting with his lost love, our soul. The two rejoin in the bridal chamber and in the process the soul is reunited with God. The Valentinian image of our broken soul would be the Sophia. The bridal chamber symbolizes the healing of that soul by rejoining with Jesus.

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I don't see the church in the Old Testament.

But, then, probably unlike you, I'm into Uncle John Nelson Darby and Cyrus I. Scofield's way of looking at dispensations.

That's an interesting assumption to make about me, considering I just started posting in this forum only now. I don't really see why it matters whether you see or don't see the church in the Old Testament, with regard to the sensuality of the Song of Solomon. I was responding to what you said, here:

Being dispensationalist has nothing to do with the fact that an obviously sexual text regarding the relationship between God and any human, be it the church, Israel, or both. Again, I can't see Song of Solomon 7:7,8 as an appropriate symbol of God's relationship with us.

Ezekiel 23 is the only scripture I can think of, offhand, that uses explicit sexual imagery as a symbol, but it begins in verse four by explaining very clearly that this is symbolism and what the primary characters represent. I think the Song of Solomon would do the same if it had that kind of symbolism. I see no reason to view this text differently than stenerson put it, that it's "a book about healthy love and passion between a man and woman." No part of the Bible suggests differently.

Upvote 0

moonbeam

Site Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
✟33,604.00
Faith
Calvinist
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face is a romantic song that uses amatory language and phrasing and describes, among other things, a sexual encounter. It ain't Spike Jones.

Singing "the first time ever I kissed your mouth" and "the first time ever I lay with you" to Jesus seems really creepy on a number of levels to me, not to mention grossly Unbiblical.

Well buddy……. Your Thoughts…….were never my thoughts.

My thoughts (on that occasion and others) are known to my LORD

And He delights in them.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well buddy……. Your Thoughts…….were never my thoughts.

My thoughts (on that occasion and others) are known to my LORD

And He delights in them.

Don't get mad at me. You're the one who said you were singing a romantic song to Jesus. Those are the words of the song you said you were singing to Him. .

Upvote 0

moonbeam

Site Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
✟33,604.00
Faith
Calvinist
Don't get mad at me. You're the one who said you were singing a romantic song to Jesus. Those are the words of the song you said you were singing to Him. .

Buddy……I'm not mad…….I'm sad

Sad…..that you failed to appreciate the intimacy of what I was communicating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Buddy……I'm not mad…….I'm sad

Sad…..that you failed to appreciate the intimacy of what I was communicating.

I get the intimacy you were communicating. Believe me, I'm familiar with the song.

I just think it's really creepy and Unbiblical that you say you were singing such an "intimate" song (i.e. "the first time ever I kissed your mouth", "the first time ever I lay with you") about Jesus.

Jesus is not your girlfriend.

Upvote 0

Johnnz

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2004
New Zealand
✟74,521.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
In the nineteenth century various Christians were scandalized by the content of the Song of Solomon. Some decided it could not actually mean anything close to the way it is written. As a result, these Victorians gave it a spiritual spin in which the primary character (Solomon) is really God expressing his great love for His bride, the Church.

IMO, this is creative spin which is unsupported by the text. There are, however, many christian bodies which cling tenaciously to this view.

It goes back many centuries before the 19th one. An allegorical interpretation was most commonly taken largely due to the church's discomfort with human sexuality in general.

Today modern expositors regard it as a 'love letter', a celebration of our relational sexuality. But many do hold to an allegorical view. The difficulty with that is there are many different allegorical interpretations of the same passages, according to the creativity of the writer.

John
NZ

Upvote 0

moonbeam

Site Supporter
Jul 16, 2004
✟33,604.00
Faith
Calvinist
I get the intimacy you were communicating.

No you don't.

Your "Jesus is not your girlfriend" line………………………………………………………………………………………..is the evidence.

Upvote 0

South Bound

I stand with Israel.
Jan 3, 2014
✟31,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No you don't.

Your "Jesus is not your girlfriend" line………………………………………………………………………………………..is the evidence.

Like I said, don't get mad at me. You're the one who said you sang a romantic song about sex between two lovers to Jesus, not me.

Upvote 0