Does someone have to be baptized with The Holy Spirit to be Filled With The Spirit?

swordsman1

May 3, 2015
✟251,947.00
Faith
Christian
All believers are baptized in the Spirit at the moment of conversion, when we become part of the body of Christ...
1 Cor 12:13 For in one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—Jews or Greeks, slaves or free—and all were made to drink of one Spirit.​

Being filled with the Spirit is a repeatable occurrence. Peter was filled at Pentecost, he was filled again when he stood before the Sanhedrin in Acts 4:8, and filled again in Acts 4:31. Stephen was filled in Acts 6:3-5, and again in Acts 7:55. Paul was filled in Acts 9:17, and again in Acts 13:9. The one common characteristic that is associated with all the examples of being filled with the Spirit is boldness.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟903,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Please include scriptures in your response.
John 7:
On the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried out, saying,
If anyone thirsts, let him come to Me and drink.
38 He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers
of living water.
39 But this He spoke concerning the Spirit, whom those believing in Him would receive;
for the Holy Spirit was not yet given, because Jesus was not yet glorified.

Acts 4:
Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, Rulers of the people and elders of Israel:
9 If we this day are judged for a good deed done to a helpless man, by what means he
has been made well,
10 let it be known to you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead, by Him this man stands here before you whole.

Luke 1:
For he will be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink. He will also be filled with the Holy Spirit, even from his mother’s womb.

41 And it happened, when Elizabeth heard the greeting of Mary, that the babe leaped in her womb; and Elizabeth was filled with the Holy Spirit.
42 Then she spoke out with a loud voice and said, Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb!

67 Now his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Spirit, and prophesied.

Exodus 31:
Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying:
2 See, I have called by name Bezalel the son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah.
3 And I have filled him with the Spirit of God, in wisdom, in understanding, in knowledge,
and in all manner of workmanship.

Matthew 3:11 I indeed baptize you with water unto repentance, but He who is coming
after me is mightier than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you
with the Holy Spirit.
Being filled with His Holy Spirit is displayed through the fruits of His Holy Spirit.
We tend to "quench" His work in us as our flesh is unwilling. Be filled daily and walk with His Holy Spitit who guilds us in all truth and conviction. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Being filled with His Holy Spirit is displayed through the fruits of His Holy Spirit.
We tend to "quench" His work in us as our flesh is unwilling. Be filled daily and walk with His Holy Spitit who guilds us in all truth and conviction. Blessings.

GALATIANS 5:22-23 Also the (practicality) of the book of James by works (thought word and deed) ONLY after one is 'reborn, where a true regeneration by the Spirit' has taken place within the heart.

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Can you please summarize that for us?

the preacher explains it better than i could in words. Close your eyes and listen to what's being said;), sometimes i have to listen to it a few times, so the word goes deep into my heart, soul and mind.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
the preacher explains it better than i could in words. Close your eyes and listen to what's being said;), sometimes i have to listen to it a few times, so the word goes deep into my heart, soul and mind.

Right, unfortunately I am also a man of the cloth, and I have to prepare for a baptism and my Saturday and Sunday services, so if you are unable to summarize, that’s unfortunate for me, because I don’t have the time to listen to it (what time I do have for edification I generally invest in Patristics, Liturgical Studies, and Anglican, Methodist and Eastern Christian theology).

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Right, unfortunately I am also a man of the cloth, and I have to prepare for a baptism and my Saturday and Sunday services, so if you are unable to summarize, that’s unfortunate for me, because I don’t have the time to listen to it (what time I do have for edification I generally invest in Patristics, Liturgical Studies, and Anglican, Methodist and Eastern Christian theology).

i understand. You've got a huge responsibility as a preacher, praying before preparing a sermon, preaching the word, undertaking the divine ordinances of the Gospel, even lifting the phone, visiting a member of the church, outreach, going to the hospital, helping the poor and downcast, etc, etc, etc...all for Christ and the Glory of God.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
If I wasn't retired and still had full time responsibilities, I would never have come on this forum.
Member <1 year.
Remain in the justification that is by Faith alone. I do not envy the demands of your position.
My ministry was always on the streets, in shelters, recovery programs.
Never had time for academic pursuits. Had to rely completely on the Holy Spirit, as I was
always in way over my head in most situations. Dealt directly with a lot of unclean spirits.
That was more to my interest. Be blessed in yours.

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I wasn't retired and still had full time responsibilities, I would never have come on this forum.
Member <1 year.
Remain in the justification that is by Faith alone. I do not envy the demands of your position.
My ministry was always on the streets, in shelters, recovery programs.
Never had time for academic pursuits. Had to rely completely on the Holy Spirit, as I was
always in way over my head in most situations. Dealt directly with a lot of unclean spirits.
That was more to my interest. Be blessed in yours.

Reminds me of Malachi 3:10 (which is 3-fold) and with the law being changed in Hebrews 7:12.

Paul instructed Timothy to do the same thing

1- The Priesthood in OT times is now the 'church/believers',

2- the widow/orphan are believers/members of the church who have little or no income,

3- the stranger now changed to the homeless/the outcast in society.

Malachi 3:10 - Meaning and Commentary on Bible Verse (biblestudytools.com)

Reactions: Mr. M
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Reminds me of Malachi 3:10 and with the law being changed in Hebrews 7:12. The Priesthood in OT times is now the 'church/believers', the widow/orphan are believers/members of the church who have little income, and the stranger now changed to the homeless/the outcast in society.

Malachi 3:10 - Meaning and Commentary on Bible Verse (biblestudytools.com)
If I were to be a "man of the cloth" it would be the rags needed to clean up other people's mess,
and maybe sometimes my own.....LOL

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I were to be a "man of the cloth" it would be the rags needed to clean up other people's mess,
and maybe sometimes my own.....LOL

everyone of us has to come to point like Isaiah 6:5 and it may happen frequently in our lives. The 'seen' part isn't a physical seeing, we were discussing that earlier;), its the 'vile' part that matters.

The root of Jesse (Christ), the seed faith as small as a mustard seed, etc, etc:D. That small seed needs the water of life to grow, it needs some encouragement by more mature Christians also, BUT.... when it grows it can get out of control. It needs to be rebuked and corrected. The carrot and the stick method.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
everyone of us has to come to point like Isaiah 6:5 and it may happen frequently in our lives. The 'seen' part isn't a physical seeing, we were discussing that earlier;), its the 'vile' part that matters, the root of Jesse (Christ), the seed as small as a mustard seed, etc, etc:D. That small seed needs the water of life to grow, it needs some encouragement, BUT when it goes out of control it needs rebuke and correction. The carrot and the stick.
Amen. The Holy Spirit reminds me daily of where my thoughts and words can take me when I
do not abide in Him. It is the chastisement of the Lord that disciplines us, so that we will not
be condemned with the world.

1 Corinthians 11:32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Amen. The Holy Spirit reminds me daily of where my thoughts and words can take me when I
do not abide in Him. It is the chastisement of the Lord that disciplines us, so that we will not
be condemned with the world.

1 Corinthians 11:32 But when we are judged, we are chastened by the Lord, that we may not be condemned with the world.

Amen. Hebrews 12:6-8.....Spiritual/Heavenly adoption. Sons and daughters through Christ alone.

• Winner
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
i understand. You've got a huge responsibility as a preacher, praying before preparing a sermon, preaching the word, undertaking the divine ordinances of the Gospel, even lifting the phone, visiting a member of the church, outreach, going to the hospital, helping the poor and downcast, etc, etc, etc...all for Christ and the Glory of God.

Unfortunately due to Covid-19, we can’t get into the hospital, except in some cases the Palliative Care wards. It boils my blood with righteous indignation, although not as much as some governors who during the lockdown forced churches to close while keeping liquor stores open.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟687,451.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I listened to the full sermon. Excellent Pastor, I enjoyed the teaching, thank you for sharing brother.

I would like to ask if there were any specific points he made in that sermon that you wanted to point in specific in response to my post? A topic of reply and discussion? Or just edification?

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Mr. M

Mar 9, 2020
Prescott, Az
✟38,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I came across two good bible studies on Hebrews 12.
It is time for all good children to recognize that this is their covenant in Christ.

Isaiah 55:3 Incline your ear, and come to Me.
Hear, and your soul shall live;
And I will make an everlasting covenant with you—
The sure mercies of David.

Acts 13:34
And that He raised Him from the dead, no more to return to corruption,
He has spoken thus: I will give you the sure mercies of David.

2 Samuel 7:
I will be his Father, and he shall be My son. If he commits iniquity, I will chasten
him with the rod of men and with the blows of the sons of men.
But My mercy shall not depart from him, as I took it from Saul, whom I removed
from before you.
16 And your house and your kingdom shall be established forever before you.
Your throne shall be established forever.

Luke 1:69
And has raised up a horn of salvation for us
In the house of His servant David.

The Rod And The Stripes

Upvote 0

Victor in Christ

Jehovah Tsidkenu
Jun 9, 2020
British Isles
✟17,662.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I listened to the full sermon. Excellent Pastor, I enjoyed the teaching, thank you for sharing brother.

I would like to ask if there were any specific points he made in that sermon that you wanted to point in specific in response to my post? A topic of reply and discussion? Or just edification?

SermonAudio - Media Player

you mean this post -

I think "filled" and "baptized" are simply two different ways to express the exact same thing.

That said, I think Satan has tried to copy it (possibly as some people and their gospels seem positively demonically influenced) so I think we should always compare our beliefs and influences with Scripture, and make certain we aren't off the rails.

As the Apostle said, said; even if we or an angel from heaven gives you a different Gospel than the one we have given you let them be under God's curse. (Galatians 1:8)

We must stay vigilant that we aren't off the rails, and that we are staying true to Scripture.

Sorry, i got off-tract slightly from your post (i quoted above) and that sermon on James 'Demonic faith'.

I believe there's a connection and (i think) its related to being a selfish Christian. True Christianity isn't selfish. The demonic baptism you mentioned can be very individualistic/selfish, all for me, all for what i can get and what i can do. Simon Magnus comes to mind. A true baptism of the Holy Spirit and being filled with the Holy Spirit is the opposite, your heart gets enlarged for others and you care more about giving than receiving. Money, finance, jobs, status and worldly things fade away. Don't get me wrong on working for a living, a Christian should (but with 1 hand full, not 2). Ecc tells us that and Christ also repeats it, don't lay up your treasures on earth'

The same can be said about the book of James and that sermon by that preacher, 'a faith without works is dead (demonic). ie- someone who says "i'm a professing Christian" then thinks and acts selfishly. They go to church to climb the social ladder, i'll befriend this person/that person, join this church/that church to get on in life. This church has a gym, i'll join it. This church is connected to our local residents assosiation, i'll join it......That type of faith is individualistic/selfish, and the preacher is right, (its demonic).

A real conversion of the heart/baptism wants to know more of the book of life and share 'the new birth' with others and learn how to grow spiritually and practically as a Christian in this old world.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0