Does sola scriptura make the bible a new member of the trinity?

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't mention this in the OP, but since you brought it up - the Veneration of Mary is misinterpreted as the Deification of Mary by others. So it's (the deification of the bible) basically the same thing.
Misinterpreted? They call her the Mother of God. What is a mother if not a source? It does answer the question about where God came from though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
However, at the same time - saying God can only say words in said book means that you are telling God what to do and say which is kind of cheeky.
Right. The burning bush was not a book.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Misinterpreted? They call her the Mother of God. What is a mother if not a source? I does answer the question about where God came from though.
Context.

Gnostics were saying Jesus was a Ghost, not a real human.

Christians make the doctrine that Jesus had a Mother essential.

This understanding didn't transfer well after the reformation.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Context.

Gnostics were saying Jesus was a Ghost, not a real human.

Christians make the doctrine that Jesus had a Mother essential.

This understanding didn't transfer well after the reformation.
Why do you say that the "Mother" aspect was essential?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
How did that not transfer well in the Reformation?
Protestants believe in the virgin birth.
I think it's because of a number of other cultural changes including neo-platonic thought and the printing press among other things.

Protestants believe in the virgin birth, but do not see that the Mother of God doctrine is to reinforce that Jesus was born in a human body - the Mother of God doctrine is misinterpreted as a deification of Mary largely due to the cultural changes leading up to the era where the reformation occurred.

I find issues understanding the doctrine from a Catholic standpoint, since sometimes the way it is expressed reinforces the protestant stereotype, but I don't get that impression at all from Orthodox Christians.

That's where my thought process is on it.

Upvote 0

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it's because of a number of other cultural changes including neo-platonic thought and the printing press among other things.

Protestants believe in the virgin birth, but do not see that the Mother of God doctrine is to reinforce that Jesus was born in a human body - the Mother of God doctrine is misinterpreted as a deification of Mary largely due to the cultural changes leading up to the era where the reformation occurred.

I find issues understanding the doctrine from a Catholic standpoint, since sometimes the way it is expressed reinforces the protestant stereotype, but I don't get that impression at all from Orthodox Christians.

That's where my thought process is on it.
Yes, I would say that calling Mary, the Mother of God, does NOT reinforce the idea that Jesus was born in a human body. What is human about being the Mother of God? Some even claim that Mary was the product of a virgin birth as well. And that she never had any children other than Jesus.

Are we off topic yet?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I would say that calling Mary, the Mother of God, does NOT reinforce the idea that Jesus was born in a human body. What is human about being the Mother of God? Some even claim that Mary was the product of a virgin birth as well. And that she never had any children other than Jesus.

Are we off topic yet?
We seem to be skirting theosis, that might actually be off topic. Hmmm ...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Saint Steven

You can call me Steve
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2018
Minneapolis, MN
✟930,146.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, cannot remember when I picked that choice of words up.
I just thought it was curious because we were talking about females.

Saint Steven said:
Yes, and "skirting" is a very curious word choice. - lol

Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I was having a discussion, and the way it seems difficult to impossible to separate a person's bible interpretation from what is Godly posed the question to me:

Does sola scriptura make the bible a new member of the trinity?

So it might make for good discussion.
Your question has a faulty premise with a Catholic teaching designed to lead the reader into unbelief. How can you separate God's Word from God? "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" - 2 timothy 3:16

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I just thought it was curious because we were talking about females.

Saint Steven said:
Yes, and "skirting" is a very curious word choice. - lol
Oh, okay. That is funny.

Don't mind laughing at myself every so often.

• Friendly
Reactions: Saint Steven
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Your question has a faulty premise with a Catholic teaching designed to lead the reader into unbelief. How can you separate God's Word from God? "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" - 2 timothy 3:16
Jesus is the Word of God, and God is the Father, they are both God yet not the same person.

The bible however, is not Jesus, and is not God.

It's simple like that.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is the Word of God, and God is the Father, they are both God yet not the same person.

The bible however, is not Jesus, and is not God.

It's simple like that.

I never said that the bible was Jesus. I asked you how can you separate Gods' Word from God? Your OP has a faulty premise designed to confuse others into unbelief of Gods' Word. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" - 2 timothy 3:16. Simple as that. There is no salvation outside of faith *Romans 14:23 according to the scriptures and faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God *Romans 10:17.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I never said that the bible was Jesus. I asked you how can you separate Gods' Word from God? Your OP has a faulty premise designed to confuse others into unbelief of Gods' Word. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" - 2 timothy 3:16. Simple as that.
My post answered your question, and you totally bulldozed over it.

Good luck finding your answer. :wave:

• Friendly
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
My post answered your question, and you totally bulldozed over it.

Good luck finding your answer. :wave:
I am sorry but I respectfully disagree. Your post did not answer my question to you. It only talked about things I was never talking about and avoided answering my question. I asked you how can you separate Gods' Word from God when God's Word comes from God? Like how can you separate my words from me when I speak my words they are the words that I have spoken. This is the same as Gods' Word. They are Gods' Word because he has spoken them. Your OP has a faulty premise designed to confuse others into unbelief of Gods' Word. "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" - 2 timothy 3:16. Simple as that. There is no salvation outside of faith *Romans 14:23 according to the scriptures and faith comes by hearing as hearing by the Word of God *Romans 10:17.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
No it didn't you avoided answering my question I asked you how can you separate Gods' Word from God when God's Word comes from God?
No I didn't. I answered your question and addressed your false understanding. Since post reformation understanding is not the origin of the faith, it has no place telling people what the correct interpretation is. Be a little more humble.

• Agree
Upvote 0

LoveGodsWord

Jun 5, 2017
Queensland
Visit site
✟252,319.00
Country
Australia
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No I didn't. I answered your question and addressed your false understanding. Since post reformation understanding is not the origin of the faith, it has no place telling people what the correct interpretation is. Be a little more humble.
If you do not want to answer the question just say so. You do not have to if you do not want to. I am sure we both have better things to do with our time.

Upvote 0