Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As regular readers of the TLT sub-forum know, I am attempting to work my way through a book written in the late 70s called "Does Sin Change?" by Father Sean Fagan, Society of Mary. I promised to start some threads on topics from or related to the reading as I progressed.

This is actually a very challenging book so far, and not entirely what I expected. Honestly, I thought I'd just start typing out excerpts from someone I kind of expected to be a better educated holier man than I am, but one who had similar progressive liberal instincts and would wind up saying a bunch of things I mostly agreed with, but having extra facts, insights, and better use of language and analogies at his disposal.

Instead, I am finding something quite different.

Father Fagan comes out of the gate sounding very conservative. For like 50-60 pages. You can kind of see in there a touch of liberalism, like implied criticism of what one might refer to as pharasitical attitudes in the pre-Vatican II church and the quotations of somewhat ridiculous sounding detailed clarifications (At one point, he quotes something that tried to define whether it was morally licit to scratch an inch in a literal sense that happened to be in an area that might cause arousal and, if so, under what conditions and to what extent, it was permissable, in detail), hints of someone who thinks that morality depends on context and that that context can change in fundamental ways, and so on and so forth. However, really, this is not as far of from reading Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger's (Pope Benedict) writings in overall tone.

This was written by someone who was presumably a young priest in the 60s and 70s, and one can sense a sort of flavor of that era in the writing itself. Some of the writing style itself just shouts "1950s!" at me in the same way watching select old episodes of The Twilight Zone do. By 1950s, I don't mean the actual stances he takes or slang terms, but rather an intense studied interest in society and digressions into why civil laws are needed and how they generally serve to make people become better people, and to increase efficiency, in the latter case by, for example deciding whether we all drive on the left or right side of the road, because everyone deciding for themselves would cause problems, even though there is no moral difference or even rational reason why the left side is better than the right side or vice-versa. The distinguished but accesible way he communicates makes me think of a man in a black and white movie or television show who goes to a white collar middle class job with a suit coat and tie, greets the wife, and then heads to the study to smoke his pipe and read a newspaper.

Yet, one can see the influence of the next decade or two in that he questions things and comes to interesting conclusions.

Largely, he has traditional notions about sin being a very significant thing, and is a John the Baptist type figure calling for people to refocus on it and repent, while "calling out" some of his liberal contemporaries (Not by name) for disregarding the importance of sin.

He buids up this sort of discussion of man's relationship to God and everything else in such a way that I think most modern conservatives (At least the JP2 types, not the SSPX types) would be pleased with the foundation he lays out.

Then, all of the sudden, based on the foundation, he briefly and casually slips in a significant deviation from the way a conservative would think of natural law, and a view that humankind's nature has been intrinsically changed by civilization and technology. And calls into question whether artificial truly has any meaning, and whether whether something is natural or not means much in a Christian context in the way that is usually used. This, of course, totally tears the "logic" behind Humane Vitae to shreds (Without ever directly mentioning it, or Pope Paul), and one begins to see why I could not find an inpramatuer on the back of the title page. ;)

Despite the opening for some moral uses of artifical contraception and several other things, I don't feel like I'm really reading something that would make Christianity easier for people in most circumstances. Its challenging. And he does not come off as someone who is a leftist is the way a Marcus Borg or John Shelby Spong is, or even most liberal Catholic theologians.

He's using a conservative, albeit not traditionalist, framework to build structures of logic that are just a hair different on each level and in some cases build to liberal or progressive conclusions, but do so in such a way that he still seems very much the product of a conservative culture.

I guess the big thing I see that isn't conservative is that he tends to question authority. But its not a hugely significant amount of the text so far, nor does it seem like an act on authorities.

Its hard to really get a handle on. Its interesting, but not in the way I thought it would be.

He speaks of relationship being more important than specific rules when it comes to understanding God, but its mostly in the vein of Jesus' disciplines plucking corn on the Sabbath or the bible story of rescuing someone who'd fallen into a hole on the Sabbath. A personal relationship with God and being anti-legalism doesn't seem especially radically liberal to me today, but maybe it was then when there was a strong traditionalist faction at the council that got voted down but was still in power in places who were still active in the Church and actually did want those rules that detailed exactly when and for how long you could scratch yourself before it becomes a sin brought back. ;)

I really struggle with understanding and defining the book so far in some ways. It doesn't fit into pre-defined categories and one can tell its an old book also, in addition to ways already mentioned, in that he doesn't seem to really take a side and fit with a modern faction of people. Some of what he says and thinkings seem like the building blocks for JP2/Benedict's theology, and others like the precurers for progressove Catholics. He seems like a man who is not yet done the journey of defining himself, and like this is sort of a step towarss who he will become, but that he isn't there yet.

See, and when I started typing, I didn't think I'd have enough to write. ;) I don't know what I think of the book yet. Its confounding my expectations and is hard to categorize.

I may do more of these as I continue to progress in the book, but I may not. I am not really sure where it is going.

I will leave you all with this random quote from the book:

"It is a misleading oversimplification to think of the Bible as God's revelation dictated to the sacred writers. It is more correctly understood as the written account of the religious experience of the people of God in the Old Testament and of the Christian communities in the New Testament. These writings are inspired in the sense that not only the experiences, but the understanding and recording of it were under the influence of the Holy Spirit. That experience was primarily of the special relationship of intimacy to which they believe God had called and introduced them."

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
He doesn't sound like a conservative catholic, he sounds like an early 60's liberal.

I agree about talking about what is natural is often meaningless in a modern context. Like one conservative catholic I read recently admitted, maybe this stuff meant something 800 years ago when the world was far more enchanted. We need to face up to the fact we do not live in an enchanted world anymore. Not because it's not there but just the patterns of our life rarely interact with it.

Upvote 0

archer75

Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2016
USA
✟256,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
He doesn't sound like a conservative catholic, he sounds like an early 60's liberal.

I agree about talking about what is natural is often meaningless in a modern context. Like one conservative catholic I read recently admitted, maybe this stuff meant something 800 years ago when the world was far more enchanted. We need to face up to the fact we do not live in an enchanted world anymore. Not because it's not there but just the patterns of our life rarely interact with it.
Could you elaborate a little, if appropriate to the thread, about your last sentence?

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Could you elaborate a little, if appropriate to the thread, about your last sentence?

I mean the stuff that Bonhoeffer talked about. We live before God without God in a godless world. We live in a world come of age. When I am sick, I don't go to an exorcist, I go to a doctor. When my psyche bothers me, I go to a therapist, not a confessor. Not because I deny Church doctrines, but just because I'm a modern, western pragmatic person that has found modernism so much more useful for 90 percent of my life.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Now the author is transitioning to the idea of saying that God leaves us precepts and not laws. Moral laws in their ideal form are essentially precepts adapted into the present according to our best understandings of situations in general terms, but as times and understandings change, or we encounter specific situations where a moral law strictly interpreted would counter an undlying moral precept, and we discover that older moral laws are no longer in accordance with our precepts, moral laws must change. Following moral laws can lead to good outcomes and well lived lives in some cases, but following the moral law because it is the moral law and not adopting the underlying moral precepts to the point where we can adapt them where the law no longer functions as intended is a form of spiritual immaturity.

I tend to think that is a big chunk the Gospel in a nutshell. That's what Jesus was getting at and his contemporaries were not quite understanding most of the time.

Anyway, another interesting thing here is that Father Fagan straight forwardly identifies himself as a relativist. That seems kind of shocking, because certain corners of the Church have spent decades railing against relativism, and generally even the most liberal young theologians would be careful about using that word, but Father Fagan doesn't seem to think twice in the late 70s. Could the idea that relativism is always bad be an overreactions to the 60s and 70s by JP2 and Benedict?

Interesting to note that while this book does not seem to have an impramatuer, Father Fagan was not sanctioned for it at the time. The sanctions that were imposed and then lifted did not come down until the 00s- decades later.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
"It has often been remarked that the worst thing that could happen to the documents of the Second Vatican Council would be to transform them into a new code of canon law.".

A new code of canon law came out in 1983, approximately 5 years after this book was published. :) Father Fagan seems to have been prophetically objecting to it in advance. :)

Arguably, the JP2 catechism from the early 90s is only a mildly dissimilar document to a code of canon law depending on who is reading it and how they are applying it.

Father Fagan tells a lot of stories in here about very specific definitions of mortal and venial sins from the pre-Vatican II era, including a Scottish theologian who said it was not a sin to take up to 5 grains of corn from a rich man's harvest was no sin, between 5-9 was a veniel sin, and 10 or more was a mortal sin for which you could go to hell. Also, he talks about a textbook reprinted in the 60s that talked about kissing private and semi-part parts of the body usually covered by clothes as being a grave sin- without even making an exception for married couples! It goes on to say that watching animals mate is a serious sin, although not as much so in the case of small birds. ;) Obviously, Father Fagan doesn't think much of these strict legalistic, and almost comical, proscriptions.

Interestingly, he really lays into the idea of missing Sunday mass being a mortal sin and the old fasting rules (Even the one full meal and two half-meal thing), at times leaving the impression that these things were being phased out or even had been phased out, perhaps in all but the most formal technical senses, by the time the book was written. I often think that the Spirit of Vatican changed the Church signficantly before JP2 and Cardinal Ratzinger put a lid on some of the changes as tightly as they could and started turning the clamps.

Its always interesting to go back and read something that is actually of its time versus a retospective analysis of the time.

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
One thing Father Fagan talks about is an orientation toward self or an orientation towards God, and that its often a series of things that get us from point a to point b. For example (My example, not one from the book), if a very selfish person decides to one day do something selfless, this does not necessarily make him a Saint or mean that he has reoriented himself towards God and will be any less selfish the next second, minute, hour, day, or week. Similarly, if a selfless person commits an act of selfishness, that person is more likely to also revert to form and be selfless going forward than to have a slip turn into a whole new way of life.

As such, Father Fagan's point does not necessarily seem to be that sins should be discarded, but rather that the idea that a certain type of sin will always send someone to hell or a type of act, or even confession of faith, will always send someone to heaven, are outmoded in same respects and that we have to be understood as whole persons and not a list of virtues and vices, even a cumulative one. Faith to Father Fagan seems more like an ongoing attitude or way of life, and a relationship.

In general, though, he is actually coming off much harsher than I feel like I am conveying. I feel like I am conveying things through thr Fish and Bread filter and leaving out the parts where he gets tough on people and on people sinning. :) I'm not doing it on purpose, its just that he does this in ways that are hard for me to summarize in my own words for whatever reason.

So, I would encourage people not to wholly judge Father Fagan on my sort of running commentary on his book. I think many would find a different experience in the words of the book than in the words I am typing.

Honestly, he seems both more conservative and more liberal than I am at the same time. There are certainly some interesting things here, but I'm not about to tell anyone to base their lives on the book. :)

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
He speaks of relationship being more important than specific rules when it comes to understanding God, but its mostly in the vein of Jesus' disciplines plucking corn on the Sabbath or the bible story of rescuing someone who'd fallen into a hole on the Sabbath. A personal relationship with God and being anti-legalism doesn't seem especially radically liberal to me today, but maybe it was then when there was a strong traditionalist faction at the council that got voted down but was still in power in places who were still active in the Church and actually did want those rules that detailed exactly when and for how long you could scratch yourself before it becomes a sin brought back. ;)

How would you define legalism? Is it legalistic for God to give one or many commands or to think one or many of God's commands should be obeyed? If God had commanded not to pluck corn on the Sabbath, would it be legalistic to give that command or to think it should be obeyed? If the correct understanding of God's commands is that we shouldn't itch ourselves in certain places for a prolonged period of time, is it legalistic to give that command or to think that it should be obeyed? If that is a misunderstanding of what God commanded, does that change anything? Is it legalistic to think that the laws of your country should be obeyed? Or something else?

Upvote 0

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
How would you define legalism? Is it legalistic for God to give one or many commands or to think one or many of God's commands should be obeyed? If God had commanded not to pluck corn on the Sabbath, would it be legalistic to give that command or to think it should be obeyed? If the correct understanding of God's commands is that we shouldn't itch ourselves in certain places for a prolonged period of time, is it legalistic to give that command or to think that it should be obeyed? If that is a misunderstanding of what God commanded, does that change anything? Is it legalistic to think that the laws of your country should be obeyed? Or something else?

I think that whenever the letter of the law is in conflict with the spirit of the law, and you choose the letter of the law, that's a form of legalism. I'm speaking of moral law here, not secular law, which by it's nature is legalistic because it's literally, well, the law. However, legalism in a religious context is different.

Jesus disagreed with the religious authorities of his day when the letter of the religious law would have prevented them from helping a man who had fallen into a hole because it was the Sabbath, or when the letter of the law would have forbid his hungry disciples from eating.

Today, I think it is important that we view everything through the prism of love and inclusion. If we are being exclusive and not acting with love, there is a good chance that we are falling into the trap of legalistic thinking, even if we think that the bible or tradition give us good excuses to do so. We live in the spirit, not in a very specific written set of rules.

Actually, it's notable that God didn't send us a rule book. The bible isn't really a rule book, if you read it- maybe it was for the ancient Israelites, but we aren't the ancient Israelites. It could be a lot more specific than it is, and it isn't. Tradition guides us, too, but of course is limited to the understandings that human beings had at certain times in history, applied to their then-present circumstances, so we have to view that in it's proper context and be influenced but not chained into place by it. God is a living God who still speaks today.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
I think that whenever the letter of the law is in conflict with the spirit of the law, and you choose the letter of the law, that's a form of legalism. I'm speaking of moral law here, not secular law, which by it's nature is legalistic because it's literally, well, the law. However, legalism in a religious context is different.

Jesus disagreed with the religious authorities of his day when the letter of the religious law would have prevented them from helping a man who had fallen into a hole because it was the Sabbath, or when the letter of the law would have forbid his hungry disciples from eating.

Today, I think it is important that we view everything through the prism of love and inclusion. If we are being exclusive and not acting with love, there is a good chance that we are falling into the trap of legalistic thinking, even if we think that the bible or tradition give us good excuses to do so. We live in the spirit, not in a very specific written set of rules.

Actually, it's notable that God didn't send us a rule book. The bible isn't really a rule book, if you read it- maybe it was for the ancient Israelites, but we aren't the ancient Israelites. It could be a lot more specific than it is, and it isn't. Tradition guides us, too, but of course is limited to the understandings that human beings had at certain times in history, applied to their then-present circumstances, so we have to view that in it's proper context and be influenced but not chained into place by it. God is a living God who still speaks today.

There are a number of times where God Laws appear to contradict, such as when someone wanted to obey the command to circumcise their baby boy on the 8th day and it happened to fall on the Sabbath. However, it was not the case that they were forced to sin by breaking one of the two commands no matter what they chose to do, but rather that one of the commands was never intended to prevent the other command from being obeyed. For example, the command not to work on the Sabbath was never intended to prevent priests from doing their duties, so they were held innocent (Matthew 12:5). With the issue of when someone needed healing on the Sabbath, the school of Shammai taught that healing was work and therefore prohibited, but the Sabbath was never intended to be used as an excuse to avoid doing good. In general, none of the other commands were meant to be used as an excuse to avoid obeying the greatest two commands, so I am in agreement that love should be our guideline.

In Matthew 15:2-3, Jesus was asked why his disciples broke the traditions of the elders and he responded by asking them why they broke the command of God for the sake of their tradition (Deuteronomy 4:2). He then went on to say that for the sake of their tradition they made void the Word of God (Matthew 15:6), he quoted Isaiah 29:13 to say that they worshipped God in vain because they taught as doctrines the commands of men (Matthew 15:8-9), and he called them hypocrites for setting aside the commands of God in order to establish their own tradition (Mark 7:6-9), so the issue that Jesus had with the religious authorities was not with God's Law, but with their traditions for how they taught to obey God's Law. I agree that many of God's Laws could have been more specific and some almost beg for clarification, such as what counts as work on the Sabbath, so God's Laws cannot be obeyed apart from traditions, yet we should be careful to make sure that our traditions are in accordance with God's commands and to not make the same mistake of setting aside to commands of God to establish them.

I think legalism is not in regard to whether someone thinks one or many laws should be obeyed, but rather it is in regard to the manner in which they obey the laws. Is someone obeying God's Laws because they are legally required to or because of what they will be legally owed in return for their obedience, or are they obeying God's Laws because they love Him and they have faith in Him about how they should live? Are they outwardly obeying God's Law according to the letter without regard to its intent of inwardly growing in a relationship with Him based of love and faith?

Upvote 0