Does scripture offer guidance on when (if ever) to kill?

BlakeJM

Feb 21, 2017
California
✟15,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The question is, I understand, complicated and not fully explained. However, is there any guidance even that can be used as basis for interpretation/understanding?

This in mind: Leaving a decision about killing up to government to do what they want is not answering the question, because some person has to accept responsibility for the decision, and that is the focus of the question. Plus, some of us are actually in that position, and others participate in voting for that position.

This in mind: We face violence and the certainty (virtual) of it by not taking action against aggressors, whether violent nations, organized crime, gangs, violent communities, violent individuals, violent coercion for political/economic purposes. We understand that not appropriately treating these forces will result in them becoming stronger as a result, and causing even more harm. Not dealing with them adequately means we will be attacked, killed, raped, annihilated, etc, in addition to smaller offences like theft etc).

This in mind: Resources vary in how limited we are in dealing with aggressors. Sometimes we can contain an aggressor or aggressors with police and prisons, sometimes that option is beyond our resources and isn't an option for dealing with the question. (And sometimes police and prison fall short of adequately treating the aggressive force).

For those who accept responsibility for the decision of treating these forces, what guidance is there for when to kill?

Feb 19, 2017
Houston, Tx
✟19,619.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
King Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes about a time for every purpose under Heaven. Here's just 3: A time to kill, A time to gather stones (weapons), A time of war. There are 59 major wars/confrontations in the Bible where swords or other weapons were drawn. Some were aggressive attacks while others were in defense. Even the otherwise non confrontational Apostle Paul confronted the Corinthians for tolerating sin in the church. Paul tells us numerous times throughout the Bible to "Stand your ground."

Here is what the Bible teaches on defending yourself or family. If you are being attacked by an evil person to steal or harm you, the Bible DOES permit us to defend ourselves. But if an evil person is attacking you because of your faith in Jesus, you are NOT permitted to defend yourself. You are to turn the cheek regardless of the consequences. If the attack is about our faith, Jesus requires us to be martyrs. Jesus told his disciples they would be killed for their faith and it is no different today. Jesus was correct, nothing has changed in 2000 years has it.

• Agree
Reactions: Wolfe
Upvote 0

Wolfe

Pack Leader
Aug 24, 2016
United states
✟59,662.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Defense is the only justification I can think of for the death of another human, by another human.

I'm against the death penalty for this reason.
But if an evil person is attacking you because of your faith in Jesus, you are NOT permitted to defend yourself. You are to turn the cheek regardless of the consequences. If the attack is about our faith, Jesus requires us to be martyrs. Jesus told his disciples they would be killed for their faith and it is no different today. Jesus was correct, nothing has changed in 2000 years has it.
I agree with this, also.

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2017
Houston, Tx
✟19,619.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Defense is the only justification I can think of for the death of another human, by another human.

I'm against the death penalty for this reason.

I agree with you.
I too am against the death penalty though I struggle with that thought often.

I do not believe any human, cop, government or court has the right to decide on someone's demise. Only God, who created us, should have the right to take a life. I do acknowledge there are times, perhaps many times, where law enforcement must take a life to protect the innocent. But I disagree that they always have to shoot for the heart during non threatening situations. People do have legs to shoot at.

Now I know there are several passages that appear to be for the taking of a life and there are just as many that go against taking a life. Honestly I struggle with this topic. I just feel human life is such a blessing. Go ahead and laugh at me for saying that.

Upvote 0

Lyman1969

Feb 11, 2017
USA
✟18,035.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
In the defense of your life, or the life of an innocent person.

I'd also argue that the death penalty can be considered the defense of an innocent person. Obviously not in all cases, but if you have a criminal who's killed several people and obviously cannot be rehabilitated, odds are high that he will kill again, whether that be in prison, or on the street.

I too am against the death penalty though I struggle with that thought often.

I do not believe any human, cop, government or court has the right to decide on someone's demise. Only God, who created us, should have the right to take a life. I do acknowledge there are times, perhaps many times, where law enforcement must take a life to protect the innocent. But I disagree that they always have to shoot for the heart during non threatening situations. People do have legs to shoot at.

Now I know there are several passages that appear to be for the taking of a life and there are just as many that go against taking a life. Honestly I struggle with this topic. I just feel human life is such a blessing. Go ahead and laugh at me for saying that.

I'd just like to point out that the vast majority of shots fired by Police miss, and that's aiming for high center mass. The legs are an even harder target to hit, and are likely to be fatal or permanently disabling, due to the high amount of arteries and how severe leg fractures and joint damage can be. That's why they always shoot to kill. It's safer for them.

Upvote 0

Commander Xenophon

Member of the Admiralty
Jan 18, 2016
St. Louis, MO
✟3,959.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
King Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes about a time for every purpose under Heaven. Here's just 3: A time to kill, A time to gather stones (weapons), A time of war. There are 59 major wars/confrontations in the Bible where swords or other weapons were drawn. Some were aggressive attacks while others were in defense. Even the otherwise non confrontational Apostle Paul confronted the Corinthians for tolerating sin in the church. Paul tells us numerous times throughout the Bible to "Stand your ground."

Here is what the Bible teaches on defending yourself or family. If you are being attacked by an evil person to steal or harm you, the Bible DOES permit us to defend ourselves. But if an evil person is attacking you because of your faith in Jesus, you are NOT permitted to defend yourself. You are to turn the cheek regardless of the consequences. If the attack is about our faith, Jesus requires us to be martyrs. Jesus told his disciples they would be killed for their faith and it is no different today. Jesus was correct, nothing has changed in 2000 years has it.

that doesn't tell us when killing is right or wrong

Upvote 0