Does Science Agree With the Bible?

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
It is no personal attack to point out you posted a silly pic with no explanation despite being asked to explain what you thought it meant. Then you post statements of faith that have zero support like 'there was no flood. Sorry, but anti bible nonsense with no support cannot be tolerated by sane men.
Your claims of 'your side' having evidence are exposed as ridiculous chirping, with zero back up. Work on that.

The concept of evidence is this...you need some. Not discussing whether you do. We wait.
dad, you ran away from the discussion. You can't blame me if you run away.

And I have never posted "statements of faith". That only shows that you do not understand what is and what is not evidence. A topic that I have offered to discuss with you countless times, yet you ran away from those discussions as well.

And pointing out the errors in the Bible is hardly "anti bible nonsense".

Until you learn what is and what is not evidence you can only make remarks that illustrate your lack of understanding of this topic.

• Agree
Reactions: HitchSlap
Upvote 0

EpiscipalMe

Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2017
USA
✟171,590.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
I would like to sum up this entire debate:

A) Evolutionist presents data.
B) Creationist states that his/her literal interpretation of the Bible says otherwise.
C) Evolutionist presents more data.
D) Creationist states that his/her literal interpretation of the Bible (the only correct interpretation - the rest of us Christians are all lost sheep and sinners) says otherwise.
E) Repeat.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would like to sum up this entire debate:

A) Evolutionist presents data.
B) Creationist states that his/her literal interpretation of the Bible says otherwise.
C) Evolutionist presents more data.
D) Creationist states that his/her literal interpretation of the Bible (the only correct interpretation - the rest of us Christians are all lost sheep and sinners) says otherwise.
E) Repeat.

Pretty much.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
dad, you ran away from the discussion. You can't blame me if you run away.

And I have never posted "statements of faith". That only shows that you do not understand what is and what is not evidence. A topic that I have offered to discuss with you countless times, yet you ran away from those discussions as well.

And pointing out the errors in the Bible is hardly "anti bible nonsense".

Until you learn what is and what is not evidence you can only make remarks that illustrate your lack of understanding of this topic.
NO ONE RUNS AWAY FROM A SILLY PIC POSTED WITH NO EXPLANATION, THAT IS SUPPOSED EVIDENCE FOR HEAVEN KNOWS WHAT.

Upvote 0

Tom Larkin

Jul 9, 2017
Boston MA
✟7,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All: I have written a short book for which I would like to get the opinion of this team:

I have presented a biblical argument for evolution and Genesis being compatible (Genesis and Evolution (Larkin)) as I believe the accounts in Genesis 1 and 2 are sequential. Throughout the book of Genesis, the "generations" of the line not leading to Jesus are always given first (Cain before Seth, the generations of Japheth and of Ham are given before the generations of Shem, and so on).

I believe that the creation described in Chapter 1 is consistent with this approach, describes the line not leading to Jesus (and the "daughters of men" in Chapter 6), and the creation describe from Chapter 2 on describes the generations leading to Christ (the "sons of God" in Chapter 6, consistent with the rest of Genesis (more detail in the book).

This argument is also consistent to data published in Science and Nature.

My goal is not to sell books but to get this word out as many reject the Bible because of a perceived conflict that I do not believe is there, the manuscript is attached, it is also free on Kindle.

Tom

Attachments

• Genesis and Evolution.pdf
    173.7 KB · Views: 9
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
All: I have written a short book for which I would like to get the opinion of this team:

I have presented a biblical argument for evolution and Genesis being compatible (Genesis and Evolution (Larkin)) as I believe the accounts in Genesis 1 and 2 are sequential. Throughout the book of Genesis, the "generations" of the line not leading to Jesus are always given first (Cain before Seth, the generations of Japheth and of Ham are given before the generations of Shem, and so on).

I believe that the creation described in Chapter 1 is consistent with this approach, describes the line not leading to Jesus (and the "daughters of men" in Chapter 6), and the creation describe from Chapter 2 on describes the generations leading to Christ (the "sons of God" in Chapter 6, consistent with the rest of Genesis (more detail in the book).

My goal is not to sell books but to get this word out as many reject the Bible because of a perceived conflict that I do not believe is there, the manuscript is attached, it is also free on Kindle.

Tom

Give us the cliff notes summary.

Does this then mean, that you accept the theory of evolution?

Upvote 0

Tom Larkin

Jul 9, 2017
Boston MA
✟7,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Give us the cliff notes summary.

Does this then mean, that you accept the theory of evolution?

I strongly believe the Bible is the Word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit, it to be taken literally and that every person mentioned in the Bible was a real person (e.g. Adam and Eve). I think we take a lot of baggage along when we read the Bible (e.g. most of our concepts of Heaven, Hell, Satan and Angels comes from medieval art and literature and not from the Bible, the Bible paints a very different picture) and if we just let the Bible say what it says, I think we get a different picture. The book is only the equivalent of a 10 page paper that will not take very long to read, I welcome the feedback.

I have a Masters Degree in BioChemical Engineering and have worked for over 25 years in the biotechnology industry. Evolution is a very well established scientific theory that by no means eliminates a Creator.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I strongly believe the Bible is the Word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit, it to be taken literally and that every person mentioned in the Bible was a real person (e.g. Adam and Eve). I think we take a lot of baggage along when we read the Bible (e.g. most of our concepts of Heaven, Hell, Satan and Angels comes from medieval art and literature and not from the Bible, the Bible paints a very different picture) and if we just let the Bible say what it says, I think we get a different picture. The book is only the equivalent of a 10 page paper that will not take very long to read, I welcome the feedback.

I have a Masters Degree in BioChemical Engineering and have worked for over 25 years in the biotechnology industry. Evolution is a very well established scientific theory that by no means eliminates a Creator.

I wasn't asking you to eliminate a God, was just curious if you accepted the well evidenced theory of evolution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

xianghua

Feb 14, 2017
tel aviv
✟111,545.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Single
Yes, for although the Bible is not a science textbook, it is accurate when it mentions matters of science. Consider some examples showing that science and the Bible agree and that the Bible contains scientific facts that differed greatly from the beliefs of many people living at the time it was written.

• The universe had a beginning. (Genesis 1:1) In contrast, many ancient myths describe the universe, not as being created, but as being organized from existing chaos. The Babylonians believed that the gods that gave birth to the universe came from two oceans. Other legends say that the universe came from a giant egg.

• The universe is governed day-to-day by rational natural laws, not by the whims of deities. (Job 38:33; Jeremiah 33:25) Myths from around the world teach that humans are helpless before the unpredictable and sometimes merciless acts of the gods.

• The earth is suspended in empty space. (Job 26:7) Many ancient peoples believed that the world was a flat disk supported by a giant or an animal, such as a buffalo or a turtle.

• Rivers and springs are fed by water that has evaporated from the oceans and other sources and then has fallen back to earth as rain, snow, or hail. (Job 36:27, 28; Ecclesiastes 1:7; Isaiah 55:10; Amos 9:6) The ancient Greeks thought that rivers were fed by underground ocean water, and this idea persisted into the 18th century.

• The mountains rise and fall, and today’s mountains were once under the ocean. (Psalm 104:6, 8) In contrast, several myths say that the mountains were created in their current form by the gods.

• Sanitary practices protect health. The Law given to the nation of Israel included regulations for washing after touching a dead body, quarantining those with infectious disease, and disposing of human waste safely. (Leviticus 11:28; 13:1-5; Deuteronomy 23:13) By contrast, one of the Egyptian remedies in use when these commands were given called for applying to an open wound a mixture that included human excrement.
Are there scientific errors in the Bible?
A reasonable examination of the Bible shows the answer to be no. Here are some common misconceptions about the scientific accuracy of the Bible:

Myth: The Bible says that the universe was created in six 24-hour days.

Fact: According to the Bible, God created the universe in the indefinite past. (Genesis 1:1) Also, the days of creation described in chapter 1 of Genesis were epochs whose length is not specified. In fact, the entire period during which earth and heaven were made is also called a “day.”—Genesis 2:4.

Myth: The Bible says that vegetation was created before the sun existed to support photosynthesis.—Genesis 1:11, 16.

Fact: The Bible shows that the sun, one of the stars that make up “the heavens,” was created before vegetation. (Genesis 1:1) Diffused light from the sun reached the earth’s surface during the first “day,” or epoch, of creation. As the atmosphere cleared, by the third “day” of creation, the light was strong enough to support photosynthesis. (Genesis 1:3-5,12, 13) Only later did the sun become distinctly visible from the surface of the earth.—Genesis 1:16.

Myth: The Bible says that the sun revolves around the earth.

Fact: Ecclesiastes 1:5 says: “The sun rises, and the sun sets; then it hurries back to the place where it rises again.” However, this statement merely describes the apparent motion of the sun as viewed from the earth. Even today, a person can use the words “sunrise” and “sunset,” yet he knows that the earth revolves around the sun.

Myth: The Bible says that the earth is flat.

Fact: The Bible uses the phrase “the ends of the earth” to mean “the most distant part of the earth”; this does not imply that the earth is flat or that it has an edge. (Acts 1:8; footnote) Likewise, the expression “the four corners of the earth” is a figure of speech referring to the entire surface of the earth; today a person might use the four points of the compass as a similar metaphor.—Isaiah 11:12; Luke 13:29.

Myth: The Bible says that the circumference of a circle is exactly three times its diameter, but the correct value is pi (π), or about 3.1416.

Fact: The measurements of “the Sea of cast metal” given at 1 Kings 7:23 and 2 Chronicles 4:2 indicate that it had a diameter of 10 cubits and that “it took a measuring line 30 cubits long to encircle it.” These dimensions might have been merely the nearest round numbers. It is also possible that the circumference and diameter represented inner and outer measurements of the basin respectively.
according to both bible and science the word created by a designer. so the basic idea is true according to both side.

Upvote 0

dad

Undefeated!
Site Supporter
Jan 17, 2005
✟25,524.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Tom
So Eve came from a bone of man?

Upvote 0