What Does Put Away Their Wives Mean in the Bible? Same as Divorce?

lost72

Nov 11, 2004
✟15,136.00
Faith
Lutheran
I have been doing research and from articles I have read, I am led to believe that the term put away and the word divorced have been incorrectly translated to english versions of the bible in the exact context it was meant. I would love any Christian input on this topic.
In most scriptures in the bible if you replace the word put away with the word divorce it gives the sentence a whole new meaning. People didnt get divorced they only put away (separated from their wives) So is it really divorce that is wrong or the putting away without divorcing?

It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

Matthew 5:31-32

This is where my questions come in. There was only 2 divorces in the bible. This seems to clearly state that whoever puts his wife away must give her writing of divorcement. Whoever puts his wife away causeth her to commit adultery. Is the put away with or without the writing of divorcement, since the bible only talks about 2 divorces. Was this Jesus way of making sure people got divorced rather than "just separated" because of the hardness of mans heart?? The hardness of mens hearts meant that the men did not want to divorce their wives and give them freedom, they wanted to claim them back one day. They put them away for future use, obvioulsy the woman would commit adultery if she remarried because she still belonged to her husband. UNLESS OF COURSE HE HIMSELF COMMITTED ADULTERY THUS FREEING HER BOND TO HIM.

Another.....
Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from [her] husband committeth adultery.

Luke 16:18

I am led to believe because of the translation of the greek and hebrew words that this wife is put away without a writing of divorcement.

The Pharisees also came unto him, tempting him, and saying unto him, Is it lawful for a man to put away his wife for every cause? And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made [them] at the beginning made them male and female, And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? Wherefore they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder. They say unto him, Why did Moses then command to GIVE A WRITING OF DIVORCEMENT, AND to PUT HER AWAY? He saith unto them, Moses because of the HARDNESS of your hearts suffered you to put away your wives: but from the beginning it was not so. And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except [it be] for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
Matthew 19:3-9

My understanding again is that men were forced to divorce their wives rather than just putting them away and being greedy because of the hardness of their hearts. That is why one is only free if the husband put her away without divorcing her if he was unfaithful. In some other scriptures it uses the word divorce when it should be put away, making it confusing. Could this be a mistranslation over many years. It really has me curious. Have you ever played the gossip game. One person starts a sentence and u pass it around the room. When it is passed on the 25 person or so, it is a completly changed sentence. How can we be sure that the Hebrew and greek words were properly put into english with the exact context that was intended?????? The greek word for put away is apuolo I can not remember the greek word for divorce, but translators that have reasearched this have that the exact translation was lost. Another loophole? Or is there any possiblity?

The greek word for sent away is apoulo and the greek word for divorce is aposatian. The word divorce is used three times in the bible and it refers to the legal aspects, not just sending one away.

I have a few websites to read more if you are interested. I found so many regarding this topic.

Please let me know what you think.

www.webedelic.com/church/putawayt.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~truth/sec8-4-2marriage.html

Jennifer615

Jul 5, 2004
Cairns
✟8,497.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Labor
Thankyou Lost72 :D . This was one of the most freeing, soothing articles I have ever read. :)

I read something quite similar in a book called "Divorce, God's Will?" The website is:

www.divorcehope.com

It is so true. So many innocent abused women get doubly abused by Christians who put so much condemnation on them for divorcing abusive husbands. I was one of them. It is also true that alot of those women join feminists groups and become anti-man and anti-church. I have a friend who this happened to. She considers herself a Christian, but she has become pro-choice, and advises women against marrying Christians.:eek:

Thanks again and God bless.

Upvote 0

Yitzchak

יצחק
Jun 25, 2003
Visit site
✟26,333.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I have never heard this perspective before. It is an interesting perspective. I am not sure what I think about it yet.
I do know that divorce has caused many problems in our generation espeacially for the children. Even without an explicit command in scripture against it, I would say common sense goes against it being a good thing for me to be breaking a vow I made to God and to the witnesses present.
I do think also that common sense dictates exceptions for some cases. But to divorce just because I no longer want to be marryed breaks a vow I made to God regardless of hwo I interpret a given passage.

Upvote 0

Angelfire70

Mar 11, 2016
California
✟17,184.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Our Heavenly Father is a Father of second chances. The blessings He bestowed on King David, the murderer and adulterer, and his wife Bathsheba, is proof of this. While it is true that God hates divorce, it is only one of many things He hates (see Proverbs 6:16-19). Remember: he never hates His children, who through their sinful nature, are embroiled into such things. God is a loving God who forgives your sins when you truly repent, He knows our hearts.
He requires a certificate of divorcement, not just a separation, so that the other spouse can be Legally Re-Married to another person and NOT be committing adultery.
Praise our glorious Lord for his infinite wisdom and grace! Go and sin no more. In Jesus precious name, Amen.

Upvote 0

JAM2b

Sep 20, 2014
✟93,117.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
This has the be the oldest threat that I've seen resurrected! 2004, that's 12 years ago!

I'm glad it has been brought up again. It was good to read. I wish I had seen it back in 2007 when I was going through my separation and divorce. It would have saved me a lot of guilt and confusion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
This topic comes up from time to time on the divorce board, and I, for one, have been spreading this same message for years. Some people still refuse to listen, but it is very liberating for those going through separation and divorce.

Upvote 0

R Simon

May 24, 2016
Ontario
✟15,131.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think this topic will (unfortunately) always remain relevant as we as humans struggle through many painful blows such as (a) the repeatedly felt trauma of losing someone to whom we promised ourselves; (b) the pain and guilt in failing God; (c) the despair of believing that we are now untouchable and locked out of marital companionship for life. Creating a space and providing resources to explore these realities makes this a constantly relevant topic. To all who have suffered, I feel your pain and hope for your better days.

Upvote 0

Epimetheus

May 15, 2016
Sydney
✟7,641.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There are many websites and YouTube videos discussing the apoluo "put away" vs "divorce" argument, with no universal conclusion.

After studying the various arguments and translations with reference to the Greek, I am inclined to accept the "put away" (i.e. separation) position rather than divorce, as it seems to be more consistent with what I know about the Jewish culture and law of the time regarding "putting away" (separation), divorce and the punishment for adultery. Of course, acceptance of that position would tend to throw the ideas of many Christians and church authorities regarding divorce completely out the window, which is problematic - for them and for divorcees who wish to associate with them in their "club".

The comparison of translations is very interesting. "Put away" is mainly to be found in earlier works. Looking at a few major NT references to divorce such as Matt. V.31-2, Matt. IXX.3-12 and Mark X.2-12, the Revised Version of 1885 always uses "put away", not "divorce". The Authorized Version uses "put away" in all but one instance.

This is just my non-expert opinion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums