Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Numbers of people take little or no notice of basic grammar rules. Some think that grammar is a little old lady in a retirement home.

In my last job, I had to interpret emails at least once a day from a colleague who had forgotten what a full stop was for. So I emailed a bunch to him just for fun, like so...............................................................................................................................
He returned my full stops by.putting.a.full.stop.after.every.word.

A bit of fun, but there is a point. (Gettit? point?)
Two sentences that could be used in the US election:
"Donald Trump is going great!"
"Donald Trump is going. Great!"

Yes, a full stop does make a difference.

Tra Phull

Ecumenical Loose Canon
Oct 24, 2019
Waco
✟45,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
For centuries, all copies of New Testament books were in Uncials - all upper case Greek letters.

Miniscule came much later, in them, almost every Greek character was lowercase, unless it was the first letter of the first word of a paragraph, or the first letter of a proper name. Koine Greek had no spaces between words, whether Uncial or Miniscule. There is no indefinite article in Koine Greek, this is how JWs get away with "and the Word was
a
god"
In translating John.

I find AUTOCORRECT on this Kindle a real hindrance, and constantly have to 're-correct' what it does, and sometimes don't catch things.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is important to be as clear as we can be - we must also realize that UNSOPHISTICATED spell-checkers will consider something "okay" if a word is spelled correctly, but IS IN FACT A DIFFERENT WORD from what the writer intended!
Let’s not even mention most of these grammar aids will not correct for passive voice statements.

• Agree
Reactions: Tra Phull
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tra Phull

Ecumenical Loose Canon
Oct 24, 2019
Waco
✟45,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have never studied Hebrew, but it is upside down and backwards.

I did take 4 semesters of undergraduate Greek, but have forgotten much. My once-steel-trap mind is rusting out.

What was I talking about - oh, yeah - let's be clear in what we post.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Yes a full stop does, but so do using the correct wording. When I was in grad school we got marked down for any grammar or spelling errors.

The first correct way this sentence could be used is:
Donald Trump is doing great!

The sentence (Donald Trump is doing. Great!) isn't a complete sentence because it says going which should be doing for starters and it doesn't say where he's going/doing. It cuts off short of being a complete sentence. So if you want to properly use that sentence it would look like this.

Donald Trump is doing, great!

Add the program, grammarly.com, to your computer and it will guide you with correct punctuation/grammar and proper word choice.
*sigh* I stole that from a political advert around 40 years ago. I was just trying to make a point about the use of punctuation and how one full stop can change the meaning of a sentence completely. I detest subscription software so I refuse to use grammarly. It's not even good English! (The word "grammarly", I mean).

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,564.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0