Nowhere
✟37,463.00
Country
Afghanistan
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
A protestant told me that the Orthodox church has a pedophile ring similar to the one the Roman Catholic church has. He also said it would be wrong and hypocritical for the Orthodox church to outlaw pedophilia since there are pedophiles in the church.

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A protestant told me that the Orthodox church has a pedophile ring similar to the one the Roman Catholic church has. He also said it would be wrong and hypocritical for the Orthodox church to outlaw pedophilia since there are pedophiles in the church.
I'm sorry, but that is a very terrible thing for them to say.

I don't wish to comment on what happens in Catholicism, nor do I know about it beyond what is publicly reported. However, it is not only an extremely rare thing in Orthodoxy (I have heard of one occurrence, and he is no longer a priest nor will he ever be again) ... it is also something that is dealt with and certainly not allowed to continue, even in the case of a single perpetrator, much less allowing an organized system to develop.

No, this is very much not true. I can't imagine what your friend is using for a source or what his motive is. Pedophilia is not even a question. Sexual activity is only condoned between a man and woman within marriage.

Incidentally, it may make a difference that we have married priests. A man must decide if he wishes to be married or remain celibate before being ordained. But the path of married life is not closed to priests.

Also, we are most concerned with the salvation of the individual and their becoming like Christ, which tends not to focus on a legalistic list of do's and don'ts. I think this focus also helps to make us more aware of ourselves and our sinful inclinations, without inciting so much temptation at the same time. It is also not so easy as just getting a seminary degree to become a priest. Each one is evaluated for his being suitable for the role as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yeah, there is no Orthodox pedophile ring. yes, there are Orthodox who have that cross, but it is not the issue that it is in Rome.

and your buddy does not know the definition of hypocritical. saying we shouldn't outlaw (whatever that means) a particular sin because folks struggle with it would be like kicking sick people out of a hospital.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
He also said it would be wrong and hypocritical for the Orthodox church to outlaw pedophilia since there are pedophiles in the church.
This doesn't even make sense. So if the Church has liars it has to say lying is ok?

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
No, there were a group of them. They were anarchists and thought it'd be immoral to force a law onto someone else.

Wait, is this one of those groups who think it's wrong to say that pedophilia is wrong, because that's forcing something onto someone else?

If it is, I would suggest you pay them no mind whatsoever. The agenda of such groups motivates them to say all sorts of things.

Replace it with murder. Is it forcing people in any way to tell them that murder is wrong?

And the Church isn't about setting up a bunch of rules and enforcing them. But it shouldn't come as any surprise that she knows what God has put forth on various actions - like murder.

• Agree
Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,107,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, there were a group of them. They were anarchists and thought it'd be immoral to force a law onto someone else.
It sounds like they are talking about making laws of the land, such as pedophilia is a criminal offense. Are they talking about Christians voting for Representatives that will make laws or keep laws that Christians support?
You are Eastern Orthodox so they are trying to say your church is guilty of the same behaviors, which doesn't make any sense at all seeing your church does not condone or allow that behavior.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟752,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Most secular systems have appropriated the religions of their nations for their political advantage. All of had degrees of moral corruption in their systems but all probably also had prohibitions against the same immorality that corrupted parts of their societies.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I think they were referring to the Russian Empire or the Byzantine Empire in which the church was very active.

even then, that is the state, not the Church. very closely aligned, but still the state.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are lots of ignorant/uninformed people out there in the world. Your protestant acquaintance appears to be one of them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZaidaBoBaida

When do I stop being a Newbie?
Jul 17, 2012
Right Here
✟50,881.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Do you want me to start listing all the Protestant churches that have had child sex abuse scandals? It's not just the Catholic church. Predators know how to choose their prey, and unfortunately, churches have been proven to be fruitful hunting grounds.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,258,288.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
There are a billion Catholics, so it is a popular target in the press, but as has been pointed out, many religions and churches (including Protestant ones) have problems with sexual abuse. It's best not to throw stones if you live in a glass house.

So I'd just say your "friend" is an ignorant bigot troll. Pay him no mind.

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

Lol. Are you trolling? If anything there maybe a problem of divorced women trying to snag married clergy. If you go to eastern Europe most think pedophilia is an Anglo/western problem.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Lol. Are you trolling? If anything there maybe a problem of divorced women trying to snag married clergy.
Really? That seems very counter-productive. They wouldn't be priests anymore if the women were successful. If there were some spiritual motive, well, it all goes out the window if they end up with the man. Strange ...

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,504,304.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Really? That seems very counter-productive. They wouldn't be priests anymore if the women were successful. If there were some spiritual motive, well, it all goes out the window if they end up with the man. Strange ...

It is strange, but it happens a lot in other churches too. People get obsessed with their clergy and want to become their lovers. I remember being warned about this when I was training!

Upvote 0