Does one get punished from God, when you sin, as discipline?

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Punishment is chastisement? It evokes the same experience but the difference in usage is whether or not your are a believer. I messed up big time last week and it felt like He turned His face to me for a few days. Hiding his face is punishment enough and encourages us to hate our sin and cling to Jesus all the more.

Hebrews 12:5-6

Upvote 0

disciple1

Aug 1, 2012
✟62,178.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Does God punish your sin by disciplining you, or punishing you, or not?

We are forgiven, and sins paid for by Christ, but as a believer who commits a sin, does God punish us or chastise us?
Everyone sins if you do one sin you've done them all.
Proverbs chapter 10 verse 12
Love covers all wrongs.
1 Peter chapter 4 verse 8
Love covers a great many sins.

Reactions: PrettyboyAndy
Upvote 0

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Punishment is chastisement? It evokes the same experience but the difference in usage is whether or not your are a believer. I messed up big time last week and it felt like He turned His face to me for a few days. Hiding his face is punishment enough and encourages us to hate our sin and cling to Jesus all the more.

Hebrews 12:5-6

I agree with you, But I feel as if everytime I sin, something goes wrong, and I wonder if its discipline from God for sinning

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,250.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

We are forgiven, and sins paid for by Christ, but as a believer who commits a sin, does God punish us or chastise us?
Hi PBA, the Bible, both OT and NT, tells us that God disciplines/reproves those He loves, but He does so for our own good, like the loving Father that he is .. e.g. Proverbs 3:12; Revelation 3:19; Hebrews 12:4-13. The suffering He allows us to endure may happen as a direct response to certain sinful choices, or to impede future sinful choices in a more general sense so that we might make better choices when we are confronted with them.

As mother, Christian missionary and Christian author Elisabeth Elliot once said:

Our vision is so limited we can hardly imagine a love that does not show itself in protection from suffering.... The love of God did not protect His own Son.... He will not necessarily protect us - not from anything it takes to make us like His Son.

Here, as well, are the opening couple of sentences from Calvin's Institutes Book III/Chpt IX/Part I that talks about God's use of suffering in a Christian's life:

MEDITATION ON THE FUTURE LIFE
(By our tribulations God weans us from excessive love of this present life)

1. The vanity of this life
Whatever kind of tribulation presses upon us, we must ever look to this end: to accustom ourselves to contempt for the present life and to be aroused thereby to meditate upon the future life. For since God knows best how much we are inclined by nature to a brutish love of this world, he uses the fittest means to draw us back and to shake off our sluggishness, lest we cleave too tenaciously to that love.
~Calvin, J. (2011). Institutes of the Christian Religion 3/9/1 (J. T. McNeill, Ed., F. L. Battles, Trans.)
Yours and His,
David
p.s. - A. W. Pink looks at temporal suffering and another important reason we experience it from a slightly different angle. In the end, the suffering that God allows in the lives of His children should always be recongnized as a blessing, though it hardly feels that way in the midst of the suffering, of course.

quote-instead-of-a-river-god-often-gives-us-a-brook-which-may-be-running-today-and-dried-up-arthur-w-pink-81-85-53.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟762,613.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
That's between you and God ^_^

It could be. Our sin is magnified when we are well aware of it. There is no such thing as little sins, they are all an offense in the end. Pray to hate sin as much as the Lord, Andy!!

Eph 4:26-27 26 “In your anger do not sin” Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry,
27 and do not give the devil a foothold.

1 Thess 5:22 reject every kind of evil.

1 Cor 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.

• Agree
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

PrettyboyAndy

• Andy •
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Toronto/NY
✟93,218.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi PBA, the Bible, both OT and NT, tells us that God disciplines/reproves those He loves, but He does so for our own good, like the loving Father that he is .. e.g. Proverbs 3:12; Revelation 3:19; Hebrews 12:4-13. The suffering He allows us to endure may happen as a direct response to certain sinful choices, or to impede future sinful choices in a more general sense so that we might make better choices when we are confronted with them.

As mother, Christian missionary and Christian author Elisabeth Elliot once said:

Our vision is so limited we can hardly imagine a love that does not show itself in protection from suffering.... The love of God did not protect His own Son.... He will not necessarily protect us - not from anything it takes to make us like His Son.

Here, as well, are the opening couple of sentences from Calvin's Institutes Book III/Chpt IX/Part I that talks about God's use of suffering in a Christian's life:

MEDITATION ON THE FUTURE LIFE
(By our tribulations God weans us from excessive love of this present life)

1. The vanity of this life
Whatever kind of tribulation presses upon us, we must ever look to this end: to accustom ourselves to contempt for the present life and to be aroused thereby to meditate upon the future life. For since God knows best how much we are inclined by nature to a brutish love of this world, he uses the fittest means to draw us back and to shake off our sluggishness, lest we cleave too tenaciously to that love.
~Calvin, J. (2011). Institutes of the Christian Religion 3/9/1 (J. T. McNeill, Ed., F. L. Battles, Trans.)
Yours and His,
David
p.s. - A. W. Pink looks at temporal suffering and another important reason we experience it from a slightly different angle. In the end, the suffering that God allows in the lives of His children should always be recongnized as a blessing, though it hardly feels that way in the midst of the suffering, of course.

quote-instead-of-a-river-god-often-gives-us-a-brook-which-may-be-running-today-and-dried-up-arthur-w-pink-81-85-53.jpg

Thank you for this beautiful post, you really hit the nail on the head with this one

• Agree
Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Think of God's Love. Does it ever depart? Think of His Love, His Amazing Grace, placing you on THE pathway to victory. Think about yourself stepping off that path. Does God send a ton of bricks to fall on your head? No. The Holy Spirit says, "Come Home."

Reactions: PrettyboyAndy
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Certainly, usually through the natural consequences of that sin. If you are a habitual drunkard, you may get cirrhosis of the liver. If you rob a bank, you may spend time in jail.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Certainly, usually through the natural consequences of that sin. If you are a habitual drunkard, you may get cirrhosis of the liver. If you rob a bank, you may spend time in jail.

Yes, there are natural consequences to many sins, but to add to that, it would be a mistake to presume that happenstances we don't like are specifically negative actions against us by the hand of Jesus.

As we hear from Jesus in Luke 13, in this fallen world a lot of bad things happen at random, without regard to sin.

And let's not forget that Satan is still on the prowl and still able to stir trouble. If he can use troubles to guilt you farther from Jesus by getting you to think Jesus has turned from you, Satan will do it.

Again, from Luke 13, I don't think a bad happenstance is ever the direct hand of Jesus against you because of sin, nor is the lack of bad happenstances evidence that you're not in sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,471.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hebrews 12:4-11

God does not only punish us, but He changes our character, with His correction, so we more and more have His nature, which has us pleasing Him (1 Peter 3:4) and submitting to how He rules us in His peace (Colossians 3:15), and loving one another the way His gentle and humble love has us relating > Ephesians 4:2, Philippians 2:13-16.

So, the main purpose of correction is not only to attack sins we might do. But God's correction brings His love's perfection > 1 John 4:17 < so we become more and more like Jesus with God and one another as His family.

So, it is not only individual, but God is bringing us to share with Him and one another as family.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't know if God does punish. I know that natural consequences seems to take care of things sometimes. for instance if I touch a red hot piece of metal then I will suffer over touching it.

maybe for some souls God does punish them since they want that and it might help them.

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
But I feel as if everytime I sin, something goes wrong, and I wonder if its discipline from God for sinning
Christianity has many superstitions like this. Try an experiment: Don't sin anymore, and see if things still go wrong. I'll bet they do.

Also, does the discipline work? I'm guessing not, otherwise why would people keep sinning? Why would God bother to use an ineffective technique?

Also, we should distinguish between serious mortal sins, lesser venial sins, and things such as character weaknesses.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I don't think of it as punishment because of 1 John 4:18, but I do think of it as chastisement because of Hebrews 12:8 -
"But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons."

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,621.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think of it as punishment because of 1 John 4:18, but I do think of it as chastisement because of Hebrews 12:8 -
"But if ye be without chastisement, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons."

Be careful, don't presume that paideia necessarily means punishment. The word encompasses the whole aspect of "training up a child in the way he should go." Other verses using that word include:

And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture <paideia> and admonition of the Lord. -- Ephesians 6

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction <paideia> in righteousness. 2 Timothy 3

But if ye be without chastisement <paideia>, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. -- Hebrews 7

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Be careful, don't presume that paideia necessarily means punishment. The word encompasses the whole aspect of "training up a child in the way he should go." Other verses using that word include:

And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture <paideia> and admonition of the Lord. -- Ephesians 6

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction <paideia> in righteousness. 2 Timothy 3

But if ye be without chastisement <paideia>, whereof all are partakers, then are ye bastards, and not sons. -- Hebrews 7
Yeah, the instructive or corrective element did not escape me.
If it makes any difference, the word used in 1 John 4:18 is a combination of the two following words.(from strongs dictionary in the Online Bible)
2851 κόλασις kolasis kol’-as-is

from 2849; n f; TDNT-3:816,451; {See TDNT 397 }

AV-punishment 1, torment 1; 2

1) correction, punishment, penalty

1161 δέ de deh

a primary particle (adversative or continuative); conj;

AV-but 1237, and 934, now 166, then 132, also 18, yet 16, yea 13, so 13, moreover 13, nevertheless 11, for 4, even 3, misc 10, not tr 300; 2870

1) but, moreover, and, etc.

Upvote 0