Does Matthew 22:14 prove Calvinism and Predestination?

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Eternal life is not a super power or a magic wish granted to a person like from a genie. Eternal life is possessed alone by one man.

His name is Jesus Christ.
Jesus says, I am the way, the truth, and the LIFE (John 14:6).

For Christ alone possesses "immortality" (See: 1 Timothy 6:16);
And we have to abide in the Son to have life.

"He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life."(1 John 5:12).

How can we have an assurance that we know the Lord (or the Son)?

"And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments." (1 John 2:3).

What if a person says they know the Lord and yet they do not keep His commandments?

"He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." (1 John 2:4).
One more passage on that that I think ties it all together.

3 And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.

It's not about time.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Strong's says it means all. Every person. You're right. Strong's does help.

a. any, every one (namely, of the class denoted by the norm annexed to πᾶς); with the singular: as πᾶν δένδρον, Matthew 3:10; πᾶσα θυσία, Mark 9:49 (T WH Tr marginal reading omits; Tr text brackets the clause); add, Matthew 5:11; Matthew 15:13; Luke 4:37; John 2:10; John 15:2; Acts 2:43; Acts 5:42; Romans 14:11; 1 Corinthians 4:17; Revelation 18:17, and very often; πᾶσα ψυχή ἀνθρώπου, Romans 2:9 (πᾶσα ἄνθρωπος ψυχή, Plato, Phaedr., p. 249 e.); πᾶσα συνείδησις ἀνθρώπων, 2 Corinthians 4:2; πᾶς λεγόμενος Θεός, 2 Thessalonians 2:4; πᾶς ἅγιος ἐν Χριστῷ, Philippians 4:21ff with the plural, all or any that are of the class indicated by the noun: as πάντες ἄνθρωποι, Acts 22:15; Romans 5:12, 18; Romans 12:17; 1 Corinthians 7:7; 1 Corinthians 15:19; πάντες ἅγιοι, Romans 16:15; πάντες ἄγγελοι Θεοῦ, Hebrews 1:6; πάντα (L T Tr WH τά) ἔθνη, Revelation 14:8; on the phrase πᾶσα σάρξ, see σάρξ, 3.

The 'class denoted' in this case is 'men' or 'mankind' but the absence of the word ανθροποι means that all is especially broad.

You misunderstand those passages.

then you have a real real problem. for you aer saying that the gospel had by the mid 50's AD had been preached to all the inhabited continents and to every human on the planet! I guess Paul did a better job reaching all of humanity than the church has in the 20th and 21st century! (all sarcasm intended)

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So, it is clear that it is of God, not of our own selves. How ever could I have been superior to others, so I got my own self to choose Jesus, while others did not?? I was a child of wrath, "just as the others." (Ephesians 2:3) So, if I was just as other children of Satan . . . I did not have some special other-thing of my own, that got me to choose Christ. If I became receptive, then, I consider > the receptivity and the ability to hear was given to me >

"For who makes you differ from another? And what do you have that you did not receive? Now if you did indeed receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?" (1 Corinthians 4:7)

And 2 Corinthians 3:4-5 says our sufficiency is not of our own selves.

But the glory and credit are to God > Romans 6:17.

And Jesus says a person needs to deny oneself, right? Luke 9:23. My self includes my own character which effects what my own will can do. I need how God changes my nature, so it is natural for me to submit to how God rules us in His peace > Colossians 3:15. And the thanks is to Him, for this, if I ever succeed in doing what He knows He means . . . not what I can fabricate and get my self to try to do.

Excellent answer!

It is not us trying to reform our old self to live better, but to daily learn how to live dead to our old self and live in the new man!

• Winner
Reactions: com7fy8
Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
then you have a real real problem. for you aer saying that the gospel had by the mid 50's AD had been preached to all the inhabited continents and to every human on the planet! I guess Paul did a better job reaching all of humanity than the church has in the 20th and 21st century! (all sarcasm intended)

I don't get the problem. The problem is, do you believe Jesus and Paul or not. Jesus was indicating here that he would be drawing all men, not just Jews to him.

But Paul says that indeed (later) everyone had been preached the gospel.

Colossians 1
23 if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't get the problem. The problem is, do you believe Jesus and Paul or not. Jesus was indicating here that he would be drawing all men, not just Jews to him.

But Paul says that indeed (later) everyone had been preached the gospel.

Colossians 1
23 if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister.

So you believe that by th emiddle of the first century, when the church was about 20 years old, the gospel had been preached on all 6 inhabited continents?

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
So you believe that by th emiddle of the first century, when the church was about 20 years old, the gospel had been preached on all 6 inhabited continents?

Why wouldn't I believe what Paul wrote by inspiration from the Holy Spirit of God? Now Paul could have been using hyperbole there. Every creature probably doesn't mean dogs and cats. But we don't know for sure about all of the continents with humans inhabiting them. I try to accept the word as written. Jesus commanded the apostles to go into every nation and make disciples. We are pretty sure Thomas went into Asia and preached there. He probably means that it was preached to all of the Roman provinces or everywhere it was possible for a disciple to travel. 20 years is a long time in terms of traveling and preaching. Paul himself went all over preaching.

Yet this is a distraction. Jesus included every man when he said "I will draw all to myself." He wasn't saying that there was a select group that would be magically zapped by God and that the rest had been pre-destined to condemnation.

All have an opportunity to hear and obey.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The error in your thinking is that you inject the idea that God is saying here that Pharaoh was created to disobey God. The grammar there however says that the purpose of God showing his grace on Pharaoh and making him exalted among his people was not that he would sin, but that God's name would be exalted. That's the purpose every man was created for.

Pharaoh rejected his purpose and disobeyed God. He became offended by God's word and instead of recognizing the grace God had already bestowed upon him, he rejected it.

Your error is in asserting that God glorifies in the sin of his people.

Had Pharaoh obeyed, God's name would have been glorified. He brought the people out of Israel in spite of Pharaoh's disobedience, not because of his disobedience. He didn't cause Pharaoh to sin so he could have the appearance of being powerful. That is really a gross slander against God and it was obviously not Paul's intent to malign God.

So God's name was glorified through the event but it was not through Pharaoh or Pharaoh's sin, but because of what God accomplished. Had Pharaoh obeyed God, then he would have satisfied the purpose for which he was created. Instead he became a vessel "refitted for destruction."

In context of the original passage in Exodus, which those to whom he was writing knew full well, God complained that even though he had given Pharaoh authority and power which he should have used to glorify God, he still refused to listen to God.

16 But indeed for this purpose I have raised you up, that I may show My power in you, and that My name may be declared in all the earth. 17 As yet you exalt yourself against My people in that you will not let them go.

For what purpose did he raise him up? Was it to sin? And how would God's name be declared by a sinner? How would it be exalted? God's complaint was that Pharaoh didn't heed his word. He was going against the purpose for which he was created. His disobedience was CONTRARY to the purpose for which God created him.

And so "God hardens whom he hardens..." God takes responsibility for the words he speaks and recognizes that not everyone will accept them. None of that lesson speaks to God's intentional hardening of anyone's heart. They chose to be hardened themselves, in spite of the grace God has already shown them.

Lots of extrabiblical conjecture you posited here.

So according to you (using fitted to be refitted ) Pharoah was born as an object of wrath, God changed him to not be, then God refitted Him for destruction again?

YOur first problem is that verse 17 is a singular person (pharoah) and verse 22 is plural.

Second you failed to parse out the verses to understand them.

Third you isolate this verse from the rest of the passages that describe mankinds natural fate by birth.

A text out of context is a pretext.

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What are your thoughts on Revelation 2:20-21?

“But I have this against you, that you tolerate the woman Jezebel, who calls herself a prophetess, and she teaches and leads My bond-servants astray so that they commit acts of immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols. I gave her time to repent, and she does not want to repent of her immorality.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭2:20-21‬ ‭NASB‬‬

or Romans 2?

“Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God,”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭2:4-5‬ ‭NASB‬‬

In light of Romans 2:4-5 and Revelation 2:21 what do you think Paul meant in Romans 9:22?

“What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction?”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭9:22‬ ‭NASB‬‬

Why is God enduring with much patience the vessels of wrath?

Rev. 2? A false prophetess!

Romans 2? What it says, I agree.

Romans 9? God endures with patience those whom He has fitted for destruction for His glory!

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Lots of extrabiblical conjecture you posited here.

No conjecture required. The scripture says specifically that Pharaoh was created by God that he might show his power in him, not to sin so God would look more powerful. That's what the words say.

So according to you (using fitted to be refitted ) Pharoah was born as an object of wrath, God changed him to not be, then God refitted Him for destruction again?

No. God himself says that Pharaoh was created and 'raised up' (put in a high position of authority) that people might see God's power in him. Thus he was created for honor as everyone was. He was refitted for destruction when he resisted God. The Greek word there which is translated "made" means adjusted or refitted.

YOur first problem is that verse 17 is a singular person (pharoah) and verse 22 is plural.

Paul is just pointing out that the vessels do not come from the factory for the specific purpose of dishonor or wrath. They come out as vessels for honor and are refitted for destruction. For us then to blame God for our sin, is ridiculous. God made us to show his power in us. He did not make us to disobey him so that he could gloat over how he made us disobedient.

A God who would do that is literally an insane person to then get angry when a man disobeys him. There is no way that Paul's message here is to point out God's irrational nature.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Rev. 2? A false prophetess!

Romans 2? What it says, I agree.

Romans 9? God endures with patience those whom He has fitted for destruction for His glory!

What patience would God need for that? He made them that way so they're not disobedient, they're obedient. So he's then later going to punish them for doing exactly what he made them to do!

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Eternal life is not a super power or a magic wish granted to a person like from a genie. Eternal life is possessed alone by one man.

His name is Jesus Christ.
Jesus says, I am the way, the truth, and the LIFE (John 14:6).

For Christ alone possesses "immortality" (See: 1 Timothy 6:16);
And we have to abide in the Son to have life.

"He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life."(1 John 5:12).

How can we have an assurance that we know the Lord (or the Son)?

"And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments." (1 John 2:3).

What if a person says they know the Lord and yet they do not keep His commandments?

"He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him." (1 John 2:4).
“I tell you the truth, whoever believes has eternal life.” John 6:47 (EXPNT)

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You have no idea who fails or doesn't and neither do I. The flesh can only mimic the lifestyle of the born again. That is true as Paul taught. But what he didn't teach is that it was impossible for us to set our minds on spiritual things so as not to be "in the flesh." He taught that one could chose to be born again and described exactly how that worked. To be born again was a command, not a promise.
So he commanded you to be born when you didn't exist, despite your parent's involvement?

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yes I agree, looking at it from God’s perspective those who are written in the book of life will be saved and cannot lose their salvation because it was written according to His foreknowledge of who would believe and abide in Christ to the end. But from a human perspective we don’t know who is written in the book of life. We are right now living out and shaping what God has already foreseen. The choices we make right now are determining what He foresaw before the book of life was written. So a person can lose their salvation in the aspect that they could be on the path to salvation and later veer off of that path and the result will be that they lost what they would’ve received if they hadn’t turned away from Christ.

WOW!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Paul is just pointing out that the vessels do not come from the factory for the specific purpose of dishonor or wrath. They come out as vessels for honor and are refitted for destruction. For us then to blame God for our sin, is ridiculous. God made us to show his power in us. He did not make us to disobey him so that he could gloat over how he made us disobedient.

A God who would do that is literally an insane person to then get angry when a man disobeys him. There is no way that Paul's message here is to point out God's irrational nature.

I will only answer this part. YOu have shown that you accept the Bible only when it fits your ideology and philosophy.

All are born lost and condemned and dead to God! Ephesians 2 makes that clear. Romans 3 also says no one is rigtheous and David in the Psalms said we were conceived in iniquity!

God said exactly that some are vessels of dishonour and were MADE not remade that way!

18 Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

19 Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

20 Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

21 Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

As for your hypothetical definition of katartizo (fitted not refitted) First it is God who would do the refitting. but seeing how all are born lost and dead in trespasses and sins and by nature objects of wrath, why would he have to refit anyone for that which they are by nature??

Also why does not one english translation translate katartizo your way???? What do you know that all those greek scholares don't???

New International Version
What if God, although choosing to show his wrath and make his power known, bore with great patience the objects of his wrath--prepared for destruction?

New Living Translation
In the same way, even though God has the right to show his anger and his power, he is very patient with those on whom his anger falls, who are destined for destruction.

English Standard Version
What if God, desiring to show his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,

Berean Study Bible
What if God, intending to show His wrath and make His power known, bore with great patience the vessels of His wrath, prepared for destruction?

Berean Literal Bible
And what if God, desiring to show the wrath and to make known His power, bore with much patience the vessels of wrath, having been fitted for destruction,

New American Standard Bible
What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction?

New King James Version
What if God, wanting to show His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath prepared for destruction,

King James Bible
What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

Christian Standard Bible
And what if God, wanting to display his wrath and to make his power known, endured with much patience objects of wrath prepared for destruction?

Contemporary English Version
God wanted to show his anger and reveal his power against everyone who deserved to be destroyed. But instead, he patiently put up with them.

Good News Translation
And the same is true of what God has done. He wanted to show his anger and to make his power known. But he was very patient in enduring those who were the objects of his anger, who were doomed to destruction.

olman Christian Standard Bible
And what if God, desiring to display His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience objects of wrath ready for destruction?

International Standard Version
Now if God wants to demonstrate his wrath and reveal his power, can't he be extremely patient with the objects of his wrath that are made for destruction?

NET Bible
But what if God, willing to demonstrate his wrath and to make known his power, has endured with much patience the objects of wrath prepared for destruction?

New Heart English Bible
What if God, willing to show his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath made for destruction,

Aramaic Bible in Plain English
But surely God was willing to show his wrath and reveal his power, bringing wrath with a multitude of patience against vessels of wrath that were perfected for destruction,

GOD'S WORD® Translation
If God wants to demonstrate his anger and reveal his power, he can do it. But can't he be extremely patient with people who are objects of his anger because they are headed for destruction?

New American Standard 1977
What if God, although willing to demonstrate His wrath and to make His power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath prepared for destruction?

King James 2000 Bible
What if God, willing to show his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

American King James Version
What if God, willing to show his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much long-suffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

American Standard Version
What if God, willing to show his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering vessels of wrath fitted unto destruction:

Douay-Rheims Bible
What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath, fitted for destruction,

Darby Bible Translation
And if God, minded to shew his wrath and to make his power known, endured with much long-suffering vessels of wrath fitted for destruction;

English Revised Version
What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering vessels of wrath fitted unto destruction:

Webster's Bible Translation
What if God, willing to show his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much long-suffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

Weymouth New Testament
And what if God, while choosing to make manifest the terrors of His anger and to show what is possible with Him, has yet borne with long-forbearing patience with the subjects of His anger who stand ready for destruction,

World English Bible
What if God, willing to show his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much patience vessels of wrath made for destruction,

Young's Literal Translation
And if God, willing to shew the wrath and to make known His power, did endure, in much long suffering, vessels of wrath fitted for destruction,

And please don't use the old line of ,"Well I know what it says, but this is what it means." Unless you can empirically show why your meaning is more valid than what the inspired writers wrote!

Upvote 0

nolidad

Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2006
onj this planet
✟221,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What patience would God need for that? He made them that way so they're not disobedient, they're obedient. So he's then later going to punish them for doing exactly what he made them to do!

Well you are the one who seems to speculate and figure out what the bible does not give information about, so I will leave that to you!

All I can say with any authority is that God shows His patience with those whiom He has fitted for destruction- those vessels made for dishonour. See if the writers who wrote under the power of the Holy Spirit wrote ana-katartizo, I would be 100% on your side. But they didn't so I have to disagree with your opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: JIMINZ
Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
All I can say with any authority is that God shows His patience with those whiom He has fitted for destruction- those vessels made for dishonour.

He doesn't show patience for them if he created them for the specific purpose of going to hell. He's very upset with them, hence hell. A God that would create a human that he designed to be evil and then complain that he was evil, would not be a sane God at all. A God that could do that would not be rational enough to create a universe.

See if the writers who wrote under the power of the Holy Spirit wrote ana-katartizo, I would be 100% on your side. But they didn't so I have to disagree with your opinion.

What on earth are you referring too?

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well you are the one who seems to speculate and figure out what the bible does not give information about, so I will leave that to you!

All I can say with any authority is that God shows His patience with those whiom He has fitted for destruction- those vessels made for dishonour. See if the writers who wrote under the power of the Holy Spirit wrote ana-katartizo, I would be 100% on your side. But they didn't so I have to disagree with your opinion.

Adjusted.

2675 katartízō (from 2596 /katá, "according to, down," intensifying artizō, "to adjust," which is derived from 739 /ártios, "properly adjusted") – properly, exactly fit (adjust) to be in good working order, i.e. adjusted exactly "down" to fully function.

It is changed or adjusted for destruction after coming from the factory. The word there is not created or made. There are perfectly good words for that and this isn't it.

Upvote 0

Ilikecats

Dec 27, 2019
Alberta
✟57,244.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
He doesn't show patience for them if he created them for the specific purpose of going to hell. He's very upset with them, hence hell. A God that would create a human that he designed to be evil and then complain that he was evil, would not be a sane God at all. A God that could do that would not be rational enough to create a universe.
The problem is how you view evil itself. How did it originate? Is there a conflict between good and evil? No of course not God is good and has more power than the most evil creature created-Satan. Evil is from the heart. That’s where it originates. Is the lion killing the gazelle evil? Of course not. Is man murdering man evil? Yes. The next question is
is everyone capable of resisting evil the same? Without the Holy Spirit all men sin which is evil. Why? That’s answered under the doctrine of Original Sin. So every single human who existed past Adam has a sin nature which causes them to sin. They are all evil. They do not follow the ways of the Lord and none seek him. The next question is does God play a role in the creation of new human beings. The biblical answer is yes. Why then does he not create human beings that are free from Original Sin? Because they are vessels of wrath. People are not created equal. Some are loved by God and some are not. Why are some chosen? God only knows. How is this unfair? How do you know that you experience the world the same way as another person? Does the blind man see the same thing as a man with sight?

Upvote 0