Does man naturally have ability to Seek God ?

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No man naturally can believe on Christ nor even believe in the True God, for what saith the scripture Lk 10:21-22

21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight.

22 All things are delivered to me of my Father: and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him.

Now to call upon the name of Jesus for Salvation as per Rom 10, the person must know who the Son is to believe Him Rom 10:14

14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

There can be no true calling upon Christ without Faith and the knowledge of who He is and what He accomplished and for whom. Yet Jesus reveals that naturally "no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father"

So who Christ is in His True Glorious Person must be revealed to a man as it was to Peter here Matt 16:16-17

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

See Peter was Blessed, he didnt know who Jesus Christ really was by natural man ability but by Divine revelation.

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
No man naturally can believe on Christ nor even believe in the True God, for what saith the scripture Lk 10:21-22

21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in spirit, and said, I thank thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them unto babes: even so, Father; for so it seemed good in thy sight.

22 All things are delivered to me of my Father: and no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father; and who the Father is, but the Son, and he to whom the Son will reveal him.

Now to call upon the name of Jesus for Salvation as per Rom 10, the person must know who the Son is to believe Him Rom 10:14

14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?

There can be no true calling upon Christ without Faith and the knowledge of who He is and what He accomplished and for whom. Yet Jesus reveals that naturally "no man knoweth who the Son is, but the Father"

So who Christ is in His True Glorious Person must be revealed to a man as it was to Peter here Matt 16:16-17

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

See Peter was Blessed, he didnt know who Jesus Christ really was by natural man ability but by Divine revelation.
You are conflating new birth with salvation, when they are different.

You will note from Chapter1 that Romans is addressed directly to the saints. Thus chapter10 is not telling the unregenerate how to get born again.

Rom10v8But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
In this context, being saved, is not about getting your ticket to heaven, but getting heaven to work in your life!

This is verified in v10-
10For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
ie. Believing Jesus in our heart just establishes the righteousness of God within us, but if our lives are to be transformed, then that truth has to come out of our mouths.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Yes, man has the ability to repent from unbelief to belief.

Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

"Nature is one of the ways in which God has revealed Himself to humanity. What exactly does nature, that is the universe around us, tell us about God? Can we find evidence of God's existence from looking at the world in which we live? The examination of what evidence nature can provide is known as "Natural Theology."

God's Existence And Precision Are Evident In Nature

The Bible asserts that the universe is a testimony to God's existence and precision. The psalmist had this to say:

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows his handiwork. Day unto day utters speech, and night unto night reveals knowledge. There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard (Psalm 19:1-3)."
What Does Nature Tell Us about God's Existence? (Natural Theology)

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The bible says sinners are 'slaves to sin'

Slaves do not have a chose they follow the orders of there master - sin = the devil.

Without the influence of the holy Spirit causing sinners to want to know about Jesus and starting to be aware of their sin.
No one comes to Jesus, they are willing slaves of the devil, happy where they are.

Upvote 0

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,730.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

We can’t come to God unless He draws us and yet we were made for Him, and our hearts are restless until they rest in Him to paraphrase Augustine. Being found by God is a lot like coming home, to our true home, that man’s been exiled from since the Fall in Eden.

And somewhere inside we know there’s something missing, and all search for truth is, in some way, to look for God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Christian7777777

Dec 28, 2021
✟2,917.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You will note from Chapter1 that Romans is addressed directly to the saints. Thus chapter10 is not telling the unregenerate how to get born again.

Rom10v8But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): 9that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
In this context, being saved, is not about getting your ticket to heaven, but getting heaven to work in your life!

This is verified in v10-
10For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
ie. Believing Jesus in our heart just establishes the righteousness of God within us, but if our lives are to be transformed, then that truth has to come out of our mouths.

Believing in Jesus in our heart, is believing that God raised Him up from the dead.

Confession is made unto salvation, neither can you believe in your heart without confession, as to be baptized into His death is to believe and it is confession.

To make confession and to believe is to be Baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, washing away the sons calling on the name of the Lord.

Also to be Baptized is to put on Christ, so all of that is together and immediately.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 22:14 And he said, The God of our fathers hath chosen thee, that thou shouldest know his will, and see that Just One, and shouldest hear the voice of his mouth.
15 For thou shalt be his witness unto all men of what thou hast seen and heard.
16 And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Romans 10:9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

Galatians 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Upvote 0

Christian7777777

Dec 28, 2021
✟2,917.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, man has the ability to repent from unbelief to belief.

If man had the ability, there would be no need for God to grant that ability ( to repent)

Confession is required, how that works is the mystery of faith, which none of the peo[le here would know necessarily

2 Timothy 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

1 Timothy 3:9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.

Upvote 0

Christian7777777

Dec 28, 2021
✟2,917.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes from birth we have been giving the spiritual eye known as the "noose" in some orthodoxy. It is like a spiritual organ witch allows us to seek god and stuff.

From birth wickedness strikes first..

Psalm 58:3 The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.

Being born again is something confusing then, if the wicked consider they do not require it, and as the wicked have a wrong god they seek..

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

2 Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Christian7777777

Dec 28, 2021
✟2,917.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"Nature is one of the ways in which God has revealed Himself to humanity. What exactly does nature, that is the universe around us, tell us about God? Can we find evidence of God's existence from looking at the world in which we live? The examination of what evidence nature can provide is known as "Natural Theology."

The Bible asserts that the universe is a testimony to God's existence and precision. The psalmist had this to say:

The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament shows his handiwork. Day unto day utters speech, and night unto night reveals knowledge. There is no speech nor language where their voice is not heard (Psalm 19:1-3)."

Now look at the heavens and what they declare.

Where is that wisdom and understanding to be found ?

Man does not know it, as it is not in the land of the living.

The sea and the deep do not know where it is.

It is hid from the eyes of all living, kept close from the fowls of the air ( the angels of Heaven)

Destruction and death say they heard of its fame.

God understands the way, and knows the place to find it, seeing under the whole heaven.

Job 28:12 But where shall wisdom be found? and where is the place of understanding?
13 Man knoweth not the price thereof; neither is it found in the land of the living.
14 The depth saith, It is not in me: and the sea saith, It is not with me.

Job 28:20 Whence then cometh wisdom? and where is the place of understanding?
21 Seeing it is hid from the eyes of all living, and kept close from the fowls of the air.
22 Destruction and death say, We have heard the fame thereof with our ears.
23 God understandeth the way thereof, and he knoweth the place thereof.
24 For he looketh to the ends of the earth, and seeth under the whole heaven;

God saw it ( wisdom and understanding) and declared it to man by searching it out, and taught to man, to behold that the fear of the Lord is wisdom,and departing from evil is when they have found understanding ( of the Lord)..

Job 28:27 Then did he see it, and declare it; he prepared it, yea, and searched it out.
28 And unto man he said, Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding.

Here God is began to be declared to the Gentiles.

Acts 17:23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, To The Unknown God. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

To the Gentiles ( in ignorance) Paul declares the truth ( of Jesus Christ)

Acts 17:28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.

Acts 17:30 And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent:
31 Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.

Upvote 0

Christian7777777

Dec 28, 2021
✟2,917.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The bible says sinners are 'slaves to sin'

Slaves do not have a chose they follow the orders of there master - sin = the devil.

Without the influence of the holy Spirit causing sinners to want to know about Jesus and starting to be aware of their sin.
No one comes to Jesus, they are willing slaves of the devil, happy where they are.

Jesus sent His twelve disciples ( Apostles) to cast out devils, and to freely give, as they have freely received.

Who does not receive the words ( of freely receiving and freely giving) has a terrible judgement coming to them...

Matthew 10:8 Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, raise the dead, cast out devils: freely ye have received, freely give.

Matthew 10:14 And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet.
15 Verily I say unto you, It shall be more tolerable for the land of Sodom and Gomorrha in the day of judgment, than for that city.

Two chapters later, and the Pharisee Jews dispute with Jesus.

Foolishly they state that Jesus casting out devils, is through the devils.

Jesus shows that through the Spirit of God the devils are cast out. Jesus show this also proves the Kingdom of God came to them ( but that they disputed this, as if it is wise to dispute ?)

Then to not be with Jesus is to be against Him and they scatter abroad also..

Matthew 12:24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.
25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:
26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?
27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.
28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.
30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

Upvote 0

Christian7777777

Dec 28, 2021
✟2,917.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
We can’t come to God unless He draws us and yet we were made for Him, and our hearts are restless until they rest in Him to paraphrase Augustine. Being found by God is a lot like coming home, to our true home, that man’s been exiled from since the Fall in Eden.

And somewhere inside we know there’s something missing, and all search for truth is, in some way, to look for God.

The wicked work a different way, as described.

The wicked cannot sleep, until they have done enough mischief, to satisfy their wicked heart.

That is how the wicked are described in the Gospel, hey must travel sea and land to make one child more of hell than themselves ( cant resat until they achieve it)..

Proverbs 4:14 Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men.
15 Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.
16 For they sleep not, except they have done mischief; and their sleep is taken away, unless they cause some to fall.

Matthew 23:15 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.

These continue to be described by the Apostles of the Lord.

They are described as raging waves of the sea, as wandering stars, they are restless but do not seek the rest of the Lord ( peace and kindness and the Lords wisdom instead of the wisdom of men)..

Jude 1:13 Raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame; wandering stars, to whom is reserved the blackness of darkness for ever.

Upvote 0

Christian7777777

Dec 28, 2021
✟2,917.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

No shadow of turning with God, no variableness, all is equal, nothing is different.

All are begotten with the word of truth, so the command ( to hear and stop ignoring) is to be swift to hear, and to stop talking, ( until then nobody will hear, will they ?)

James 1:17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.
18 Of his own will begat he us with the word of truth, that we should be a kind of firstfruits of his creatures.
19 Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
20 For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

Lay aside all of that naughtiness to receive the engrafted word ( this is able to save our souls and how they are saved then)

Do not be deceived, or deceive ourselves ( definately stop deceiving anyone else too) to be a doer of the word.

Look into perfect liberty ( freedom from being slave for all) and to be blessed as Peter, they shall be, being a doer of the work ( stopping the vain talk in forums) blessed then, in their DEED..

James 1:21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
23 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

All mature adults’ sin and at least until they harden their hearts, they are naturally burdened by their actions which hurt others (sins).

Humans will try many means to overcome this hurt including: Drugs, alcohol, work, worshipping other gods, sex, counselling and other stuff, but the only real help comes with humbly turning to the creator of the universe for undeserving help/ forgiveness.

God/ Christ is wanting to forgive and help everyone, but humans have to accept that forgiveness as pure undeserved charity for the transaction of forgiveness to take place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If man had the ability, there would be no need for God to grant that ability ( to repent)

Confession is required, how that works is the mystery of faith, which none of the peo[le here would know necessarily

2 Timothy 2:25 In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth;

1 Timothy 3:9 Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience.
Repentance is changing ones mind. One must first , from their own volition, repent from unbelief. This is why there are so few true Christians because they constantly doubt belief one way or the other. Doubt comes from the human heart as well as faith. If we come to true repentance then we are regenerated through His Holy Spirit and are in the Body of Christ.
Blessings

Reactions: mnorian
Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

This is verified in v10-
No man naturally can believe on Christ nor even believe in the True God,

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

This is about spiritual ability.

Upvote 0

Brightfame52

Dec 14, 2020
Georgia
✟125,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Once God draws an individual its outside of the natural mans ability. Gods drawing is inward, spiritual, and the new birth.

Upvote 0