Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Jesus told us a story how God must punish a rich man in eternal hell because during his abundant life time he never cared for the poor people. this rich man is not a corruptor, neither a swindler or a robber, he doesnt commit any crime, he just doesnt share.

In other words Jesus is saying that poverty remains in the world because rich people just do not share with the poor. Many rich people ignore the poors and live themselves like animals who feed for its own belly only.

There are hundred thousands trillions of dollars in the bank account of this world which cannot reach the poor because this is just an ignorant and stingy world.
=======================================================

Luke 16:19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and rejoice in luxury every day:
20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25 But Abraham said, "Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime received thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented".

Last edited:

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Jesus told us a story how God must punish a rich man in eternal hell because during his abundant life time he never cared for the poor people. this rich man is not a corruptor, neither a swindler or a robber, he doesnt commit any crime, he just doesnt share.

In other words Jesus is saying that poverty remains in the world because rich people just do not share with the poor.

There are hundred thousands trillions of dollars in the bank account of this world which cannot reach the poor because this is just an ignorant and stingy world.

Luke 16:19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and rejoice in luxury every day:
20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham’s bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25 But Abraham said, "Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime received thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented".
Karma is a Hindu teaching. Yes, there's plenty of greed in this world. Those that are blessed by the Lord have an additional responsibility to share and put that wealth to godly use. Peace in Christ :).

Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'd call that greed, not Karma.

Yes, that greed has ignored the poor and let the poverty remains, not Karma.

How many billions usdollars is the annual budget of your nation ? Has it ever reached the hands of the poor ? may be the hands of the corruptors.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Scripture,Tradition and Reason
Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP

How many billions usdollars is the annual budget of your nation ? Has it ever reached the hands of the poor ? may be the hands of the corruptors.

You do realize that the answer is far more complicated then you are making it? Truth defies simplicity.

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

You know who else has a lot of money that doesn't reach the poor? Churches and ministries.
They spend billions of dollars on gaudy architecture, audio/video systems, political activism, religious theme parks, and child abuse settlements. And guess who makes up for the taxes they don't pay.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Targaryen

Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
You know who else has a lot of money that doesn't reach the poor? Churches and ministries.
They spend billions of dollars on gaudy architecture, audio/video systems, political activism, religious theme parks, and child abuse settlements. And guess who makes up for the taxes they don't pay.

Are we going to use the false equivalency tactic now? So all churches and ministries are guilty of this?

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
I believe our world is abundant for everybody,
actually.
Indeed, if only everyone shared. However, it may never happen. Hence, the Lord's statement, "the poor you'll always have with you." That's my guess :).

Upvote 0

Another Lazarus

Old Newbie
Sep 19, 2013
✟49,808.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not all of them

I can understand why you are questioning churches and ministries like that.
such as ministries with private jet plane and very expensive palace style churches.
While outside the churches there are many people in desperation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
How many billions usdollars is the annual budget of your nation ? Has it ever reached the hands of the poor
The first thing that comes to my mind is answering the question of what the purpose of government is. Is the purpose of government to collect money from its citizens so it can then go and help starving people outside its borders? I don't think any of us believe that's the purpose of government.

The people we should be talking about are the people making posts on this very thread. The people that should be helping the widows, the orphans, and the poor are us. We are very good at pointing the finger at the government, or even churches. But who funds churches? We do.

So the question should be more along the lines of how are you, the reader and follower of this thread fulfilling the Biblical call to help the widows, orphans, and poor?

I'll answer the question. My wife and I are foster parents. On top of being foster parents, we go the extra mile (usually against the wishes of our agency) and reach out and connect with the parent (typically a poor single mother) of the child in our custody and do our best to also love them and help them get on the path towards self sufficiency so they can have their child back.

We also directly support ministries such as She Is Safe and Pioneers-Ghana where we have personally funded over 8 wells for villages that don't have clean water. Locally, we help keep food pantries stocked, and once or twice a week I will buy a meal for a local homeless family.

I think we are all so very good about blaming others for the troubles of this world, yet do we make ourselves hypocrites when do? So all of you who have made comments on this thread and pointed fingers, are you actively, and I mean actively engaged on a daily/weekly basis in helping take care of those in need?

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,324.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

In other words Jesus is saying that poverty remains in the world because rich people just do not share with the poor.

That story has probably been preached for almost 2,000 years,

however hot you make the fire, it does not seem to make any difference.

When taken as a sort of "Do or else".

If fear causes one to share, then it is not done willingly,

I like, "Emptyhanded come we into this world and emptyhannded shall we leave this world"

Making a difference is what it is about, would reckon.

(Or Psalms 73 is food for thought)

Upvote 0

awitch

Retired from Christian Forums
Mar 31, 2008
New Jersey, USA
✟19,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Then let's avoid the blanket statements, shall we? :)

I didn't make a blanket statement. Pluralizing churches and ministries as I did does not imply all of them.

I'll also add that if the money was legally acquired, they are entitled to spend it (or not) legally as they see fit.

Upvote 0

Targaryen

Jul 13, 2014
Canada
✟29,199.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-NDP
I didn't make a blanket statement. Pluralizing churches and ministries as I did does not imply all of them.

Actually it did. Did you specify what didn't fall under that statement. Do you think every Christian or Christian church is unaware of what is going on in the world and doing the utmost. No, You went on about:
gaudy architecture, audio/video systems, political activism, religious theme parks, and child abuse settlements. And guess who makes up for the taxes they don't pay.

Even if in some like perhaps, activism, not per say political, but activism. Activism is at its core, usually a response to make the world we live in better. Would soup kitchens,food banks,homeless outreach, aid to Africa,Asia,Middle Easterners, AA programs, and so on. All done in various churches that I know of, just in my own community add in to the following list?

Upvote 0