Does Jesus Want You to Cut Your Hand Off?

Does Jesus Promote Self-Mutilation?

• Jesus said it. I believe it. That settles it.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Of course not. It's hyperbole.

Votes: 21 91.3%

• Total voters

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
"And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire." (Matt 18:8 ESV)

Is Jesus interacting self-amputaion in the above verse? People have literally done this to themselves. . .

Last edited:

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,168.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"And if your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life crippled or lame than with two hands or two feet to be thrown into the eternal fire." (Matt 18:8 ESV)

Is Jesus interacting self-amputaion in the above verse?

The way I understand Jesus' hyperbole in Matthew 5:29-30 and likewise in Matthew 18:8 is that we should take our sin extremely seriously - so much so that our repentance will seem as if we were to actually make "the cut."

I think Jesus' hyperbole in these verses is also meant to reflect Old Testament judgments and drastic measures made upon particular sins, such as is seen in Deuteronomy 9:21 and Deuteronomy 25:11-12.

Peace,
2PhiloVoid

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, Jesus always spoke in parables: Matthew 13:34. Some teach the Word of God should firstly be literally understood, but for some odd reason have no problem arbitrarily deciding when to take the words literally, and, when not to do the same. It creates a very, unstable and double-minded understanding; but I'm confident that it's only a matter of time until the world is awoken en mass to spiritual understanding of the spiritual Word of God. Once the carnal understanding is crucified with Christ, and the spiritual understanding is raised, then: John 7:37-38 will be Revelation 22:1-3. Note that Jesus stood and cried on what day? The Last Day: that Great Day. Timing is everything. Anyone know what day is this Last Day upon which Jesus shouted? Great secrets hidden in plain words; revealed by the Spirit.

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There is a similar thing said in Matthew 5:30. And here's a commentary on it:
Vers. 29 and 30.—But if thy right eye, &c. It is plain that there are here two parables, taken from the two most excellent and most useful of our bodily members—the right eye and the right hand. And Christ signifies that everything which entices us to sin must be cast away, however dear, precious, and necessary it may be to us. He makes mention of the eye first, because he had just before said, Whoso looketh upon a woman, &c. 1. Thus, S. Chrysostom (Hom. 17), by the right eye and hand, understands a woman beloved, such a one as he had just been speaking of, that she must be cast off, if by her look, voice, or gesture she provoke to lust. 2. S. Augustine (lib. de Serm. Dom. in Mont., lib. 1), understands any friend and minister, even one who is necessary. 3. S. Hilary, Theophylact (in loc.), Cyril, Pacian (Epist. 3), understand parents and relations, that intercourse with them must be cut off, if it leads us into sin. 4. S. Jerome understands affections and vices of the mind. 5. Auctor Imperfecti considers that by the right eye and hand the mind and will are meant, which must be called away from carnal pleasures.

But more simply and plainly you may take the right eye and hand to be actually meant, but in such a sense as to subserve the meaning of the parable, and to be parabolically explained. For there is here a continuous parable, in which Christ has regard to concupiscence of sight. Christ is dealing with such an implied objection as this which follows: “You may urge that if the eye and the sight are adulterous when they look upon a woman to lust after her, what then shall I do with the eyes which God has given me to see with?”

Again, it is a metaphor taken from surgery. As those who are sick and injured take care that a surgeon should amputate or remove the most noble and useful of our members, if their remaining imperil the safety of the whole body; so, also, I admonish you, O my faithful people, that ye endure any loss whatsoever, rather than commit a sin, especially a deadly sin; that, indeed, whatever is a stumbling-block to you and draws you to sin, although it be as dear and necessary to you as your right eye, you should altogether pluck it out and cast it from you, at whatever cost to you of pain and inconvenience; for example, that ye should put away the sight of an eye, even if modest in other respects, that is, the friendship and society of female relations, a wife, a son, a parent, if they bring upon you peril of sin, i.e., if by other means you are not able to escape sin, for it is better to enter into heaven having one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell. But because it is always possible to escape from sin in some other way than by cutting off a member, it is not lawful to cut it off and so mutilate oneself. Thus it was that Origen, who made himself a eunuch for the sake of chastity, was condemned by the Church. Finally, the concupiscences which have to be cut off and mortified by every one so tenaciously cleave to the eyes and the body, yea, to the soul itself, that they cannot be rooted out without great force and sense of pain, so that they who cut them off suffer as much as if they plucked out an eye or a tooth. They who have gone through it know what it is. Whence it is called mortification, because it produces the feeling and pain of death.

Thus according to the letter, SS. Aquilinus and Andomarus, as is related in their Lives in Surius, who had been blind, and recovered their sight by a miracle, asked of God that they might be again deprived of sight, that they might be free from the distractions and temptations to which sight gives rise. Furthermore it was by a special leading of God that the virgin mentioned in the Spiritual Meadow of Sophronius, plucked out her eyes and sent them to her lover, who persecuted her with his attentions, because he was ravished with the beauty of her eyes. When he received this gift the lover was smitten with compunction, and exchanged his secular for a monastic life.

S. Antonius asked Didymus, a blind man, whom S. Jerome calls his seer, that is, his teacher, if he grieved over his blindness. He was silent or a little while, and nodded; then he said, “A prudent man ought not to grieve because he is without eyes, which are possessed by flies and bees; but he ought to rejoice, because he has greater opportunities for opening the eyes of his mind, by which he may see God and divine things.”

Source:
The Great Commentary Of Cornelius À Lapide Volumes 1 To 8

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
No, Jesus always spoke in parables: Matthew 13:34. Some teach the Word of God should firstly be literally understood, but for some odd reason have no problem arbitrarily deciding when to take the words literally, and, when not to do the same. It creates a very, unstable and double-minded understanding; but I'm confident that it's only a matter of time until the world is awoken en mass to spiritual understanding of the spiritual Word of God. Once the carnal understanding is crucified with Christ, and the spiritual understanding is raised, then: John 7:37-38 will be Revelation 22:1-3. Note that Jesus stood and cried on what day? The Last Day: that Great Day. Timing is everything. Anyone know what day is this Last Day upon which Jesus shouted? Great secrets hidden in plain words; revealed by the Spirit.

Do you think that Matt 18:8 reads like a parable?

Was the sermon on the mount a parable?

Upvote 0

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Chrys.: But that you may learn that there is no absolute necessity for offences, hear what follows, 'If thy hand or thy foot offend thee, &c.' This is not said of the limbs of the body, but of friends whom we esteem as limbs necessary to us; for nothing is so hurtful as evil communications."

Source:
St. Thomas Aquinas, Catena Aurea (Golden Chain)

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think that Matt 18:8 reads like a parable?

Of course; everything can be read as a parable. Reality itself can be read as a parable. That's what a parable is; metaphoric language using this for that.

Was the sermon on the mount a parable?

Of course. If the scripture says Jesus always spoke in parables, why would anyone not understand His speaking as in parables? I'm confident you're not suggesting that the writer was wrong when he wrote that Jesus never spoke to the crowds without parable? (Matthew 13:34-35) Then, what? The disciples even asked Him why He did this, and Jesus answered them as to why.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
"Chrys.: But that you may learn that there is no absolute necessity for offences, hear what follows, 'If thy hand or thy foot offend thee, &c.' This is not said of the limbs of the body, but of friends whom we esteem as limbs necessary to us; for nothing is so hurtful as evil communications."

Source:
St. Thomas Aquinas, Catena Aurea (Golden Chain)

I don't see how that commentary could be true.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ken777

"to live is Christ, and to die is gain"
Aug 6, 2007
Australia
✟48,308.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A one handed - or footed - man cannot sin?

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,052,941.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

No.

Upvote 0

Stillicidia

Revanche Flower
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2016
Mystic Meadows
✟11,021.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution
Cutting your hand off if it offends you is not a hyperbole, it's not an exaggeration.
Learn what he is saying, if your right hand offends you, cut it off,
an offended brother is harder to win than a defensed city,
never be offended,
what offendedness does is it builds in your subconscious, strongholds, which block your flow of love outward,
this is called the waxing of cold hearts, when lawlessness will abound, the majority of people will be like this, offended
Never be offended, and love, the two can tend to go together

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Cutting your hand off if it offends you is not a hyperbole, it's not an exaggeration.
Learn what he is saying, if your right hand offends you, cut it off,
an offended brother is harder to win than a defensed city,
never be offended,
what offendedness does is it builds in your subconscious, strongholds, which block your flow of love outward,
this is called the waxing of cold hearts, when lawlessness will abound, the majority of people will be like this, offended
Never be offended, and love, the two can tend to go together

You are saying that Jesus is teaching self-mutilation, correct?

I have further questions.

Upvote 0

Stillicidia

Revanche Flower
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2016
Mystic Meadows
✟11,021.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Constitution
You are saying that Jesus is teaching self-mutilation, correct?

I have further questions.

Understand what he is saying, and don't care over any sort of mutilation, or the chopping off of arms, or the tearing off of legs, understand the lesson, if you're offended by your arm, yes, chop it off in the whole of the literal sense, does that happen? Yes when people have a certain nervous system error to where they don't know their own limb, and think it's someone elses'. Do not dwell on mutilation, the whole of the lesson is for greater things that one thing.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship

Is Jesus interacting self-amputaion in the above verse? People have literally done this to themselves. . .
No

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I'm not convinced that my body parts cause me to sin, according to James, my own evil desire causes me to sin, do you know of any way to cut that off?

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

Of course, we should. After all, all his 11 Apostles did so immediately after his departure, and when Mathias was selected, they immediately removed one of his hands just to be safe. I recall Paul telling of the time the angel appeared to him and said 'Peace be with you' then swiftly produced the flaming sword and cut his hand clean off, I think he even gouged out one of the eyes for good measure.

Oh, wait, none of that happened.

Upvote 0