Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
People tell you they're going to pray for you about something you know for a fact won't change? Such as a health thing, or your job (because they view it differently) or something else in your life? How do you handle these situations?

For example: As practically all of you know, I'm in a wheelchair and totally content with it, never been a major issue. But especially when I was younger people would come up to me and say that they would pray that the Lord would heal me, or that "they know some day He will". It use to make me really uncomfortable because forever I always was content in the way I was and I didnt pray for God to heal me, I didnt even pray 'if it's your will", it just never entered my mind to do so. I got to the point where I just told people who would say that that "I feel this is my purpose that God has given me, to be this way and I am very content with that fact. It is not impossible for Him to heal me." Or something along those lines.

So anyway, ever had one of those situations? Where someone says "I'll pray for you" but you feel uncomfortable about it?

Reactions: puffca

SweetDee

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.
Jul 13, 2010
Hogwarts
✟22,875.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Not really...but i have had the uncomfortable situation where i didnt want people to pray certain things over me.

When I was 14, my appendix rupture. To save you from a long story: due to certain things that happened leading up to that and afterwards, I almost died. Doctors said if I had waited another hour before coming in I would have. After months of recuperation, people would pray that my appendix would grow back and I was just like um...thanks but no thanks, I don't want to go through that again. That was uncomfortable and awkward.

Reactions: HazelWings
Upvote 0

mina

Brown Eyed girl
Sep 26, 2003
in the South
✟115,511.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That would make me uncomfortable. I mean if you ask for them to pray for something specific- that's one thing. But someone just to say they are going to pray for something of that nature is sorta rude on their part to me. I have sincerely asked people to pray for something and they say something like "well instead of that I'll pray for something else" and that makes me uncomfortable and irks me. Like they think God wouldn't do anything for me so why bother.

Upvote 0

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
No. I believe that God sends His children to pray, so I believe that each person who offers to pray for me does so because it is within the will of God. Now, if it was someone who I know is not a Christian, it doesn't make me uncomfortable, but I will ask them not to "pray" for me to their god. I don't mind "positive energy" being sent my way, but I do not want them trying to tie me to their religion in any way.

Also, you said you know for a fact it (your health situation) won't change? Or implied it. Either way, I think God can heal you if He so chooses and I would say that it's great that you're content with how you are, but it is spiritually dangerous to assume that you know that He will never do so.

Upvote 0

SnowyMacie

Apr 12, 2011
North Texas
✟118,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
In Relationship
After months of recuperation, people would pray that my appendix would grow back.

Wait, really? Are they not aware that the appendix doesn't do anything post-natal? If someone prayed that for me (however, I still have my appendix) I would be thinking "do you really realize what your praying?". Then probably inform that the appendix does not serve any function anymore. That's probably the most ridiculous prayer request I've ever heard.

But anyway, it can annoying for me. I messed up my back in junior, the injury itself is fully healed. However, I do not know how many times some people want to pray for my back to be healed when it's hurting. I just politely say "no thanks, it's fine" then take some pain killers and I'm fine by the next day. It's not that I'm doubting that God can heal people, I'm just saying that my back has been healed for years, and (In my opinion) God designed the human back to do that to prevent a worse injury from happening.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟379,648.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If it's something I would like to change and have given up on, I don't mind. Maybe God will listen to them, if not me. If it's something I don't want to change, then I might given them a look, but I figure it's in God's hands. If it's a move of the Holy Spirit to actually change that circumstance, then it'll happen soon enough.

What I really don't like though is when people say they'll pray for you, and prayer is just a more presentable layer over some underlying snippiness. If you've got a problem with me, don't put a "holy" layer over it. Feuding is what it is, and unless a neutral third party who hasn't heard your side of the story first says I am 100% in the wrong on a Biblical basis, the "I'm going to pray for you" really only means "I'm right, I'm not caving, and I'm going to (try to) get God on my side to make you realize it rather than talk with you to work this out." That's when I really get annoyed with "I'll pray for you." Fortunately, that hasn't been a problem I've seen in a very long time.

Upvote 0
M

Marycita

No. I believe that God sends His children to pray, so I believe that each person who offers to pray for me does so because it is within the will of God. Now, if it was someone who I know is not a Christian, it doesn't make me uncomfortable, but I will ask them not to "pray" for me to their god. I don't mind "positive energy" being sent my way, but I do not want them trying to tie me to their religion in any way.

Also, you said you know for a fact it (your health situation) won't change? Or implied it. Either way, I think God can heal you if He so chooses and I would say that it's great that you're content with how you are, but it is spiritually dangerous to assume that you know that He will never do so.
You put this wonderfully.

Upvote 0

GodsChild77

Oct 3, 2010
✟12,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I haven't had that exact thing happen to me before, but I can see how that would make you uncomfortable. Especially if you've heard it over and over and over again. I do know what it feels like to have people think that something is wrong with youwhen there isn't anything wrong... or to keep asking you about a past issue like it stills exists long after it's over and you've healed from it... or to try to help you with things that you're perfectly capable of doing yourself... so I guess I can kind of relate in a way -- People feeling sorry for you or trying to "help" when it's unnecessary.

I understand that you're content with where you are and that you see that as how God made you. I guess they are assuming that you're not happy because they are imagining being in the same position and not being happy. I think it shows spiritual maturity and healthiness on your part that you have accepted where God has you in your life and I believe that that is pleasing to God. I don't think there's anything wrong with the response you used above when it happens. Prayer from a sincere heart is still a good thing. But if you want to feel better understood for who you are, some people are just not going to get it unless you say something.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GodsChild77

Oct 3, 2010
✟12,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If you've got a problem with me, don't put a "holy" layer over it. Feuding is what it is, and unless a neutral third party who hasn't heard your side of the story first says I am 100% in the wrong on a Biblical basis, the "I'm going to pray for you" really only means "I'm right, I'm not caving, and I'm going to (try to) get God on my side to make you realize it rather than talk with you to work this out."

Yeah, I don't think this is the type of situation the OP is talking about, but in this kind of case, I think it would be prideful and inappropriate for a person to tell you they will pray for you. Sure, they can privately pray for you later if they feel led to, but while with you, the most they should do is tell their belief and why they believe it... it's up to you whether you'll take value in what they put out there, that's not something in their control. That twists prayer, which should be a holy matter, into a method of supporting the ego or bringing condemnation.... not good.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
hm not really. but my situation is different. My disabiliy isn't quite as noticeable - unless I'm having a really bad day and it shows on my face or in how I walk, or if i have to wear a wrist support or something. So I don't have people randomly telling me they'll pray for my healing. When people do offer to pray I appreciate it because I know it means they care for me. I believe complete healing is possible if He wills it, but at the same time I'm learning to be content in the life He's given me - even if it means having really bad days. He's got a purpose for it.

What makes me really uncomfortable, is when people tell me that He does want to heal me but its my lack of faith that prevents Him from being able to. That is not only a slap in the face to me for everything I've struggled with and how God has used those struggles to draw me closer to Him and strengthen my faith in Him, i think it actually borders on blasphemy against God. Because it, in essence, makes me more powerful than Him - as if I had the power to control Him or limit Him in anyway. My God is sovereign enough to be strong when I am weak and to do with my life whatever He chooses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SweetDee

I solemnly swear I am up to no good.
Jul 13, 2010
Hogwarts
✟22,875.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Wait, really? Are they not aware that the appendix doesn't do anything post-natal? If someone prayed that for me (however, I still have my appendix) I would be thinking "do you really realize what your praying?". Then probably inform that the appendix does not serve any function anymore. That's probably the most ridiculous prayer request I've ever heard.

Yeah, she meant well, though. I just categorize it as a crazy Pentecostal people thing :p

Upvote 0

JRSut1000

Newbie no more!
Aug 20, 2011
United States of America
✟14,114.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
"Pray about everything!" I believe GOd still heals today, does He heal ALL, no. I don't have all the 'why' answers, I'm not God. But I DO know that He has done amazing things through people who had the faith as small as a mustard seed to pray His will and He willed to heal them. So I'd say, don't close that door. God may one day want to open that door and heal you supernaturally through someoen's prayer as was done so many times in the Scriptures.

Upvote 0

Amber.ly

Predictably eccentric and honestly hypocritical
Mar 1, 2010
Gone- PM if you need me
✟22,486.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think that no matter what you pray or for whom- if you are doing it with a sincere heart that seeks God's will, you can't go wrong.

I don't always pray what my friends or family ask for. Because sometimes what they want isn't what they need. Thankfully, I don't have to make that judgement call though, God will, no matter who prays for what.

Upvote 0

Tink

our God is faithful. ♥
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2004
Texas
✟56,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
What makes me really uncomfortable, is when people tell me that He does want to heal me but its my lack of faith that prevents Him from being able to. That is not only a slap in the face to me for everything I've struggled with and how God has used those struggles to draw me closer to Him and strengthen my faith in Him, i think it actually borders on blasphemy against God. Because it, in essence, makes me more powerful than Him - as if I had the power to control Him or limit Him in anyway. My God is sovereign enough to be strong when I am weak and to do with my life whatever He chooses.

I hate when people do that. :(

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Touma

Feb 19, 2007
Virginia
✟19,033.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Make me uncomfortable that someone cares enough to pray for me? What???? o_O Even if it doesn't change anything about me, I am deeply touched by their kindness and love. Never did I imagine that I'd see the day when Christians get upset about other Christians praying out of love for them.

Reactions: PinkSweetart
Upvote 0

GodsChild77

Oct 3, 2010
✟12,611.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I completely agree. Look at Paul in the bible, did his "thorn in the flesh" mean that he lacked faith? No. He suffered very greatly to spread the gospel, he was one of the most influential early Christian missionaries and wrote 13 books of the NT. God CHOSE to have him keep that thorn in the flesh. Yes God heals sometimes, but not always:

7 Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Upvote 0

Thunder Peel

You don't eat a peacock until it's cooked.
Aug 17, 2008
Missouri
✟40,869.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm kind of uncomfortable with people praying for me in general. I love to pray for others but when they mention they're praying for me I always feel guilty. I guess if I have a problem I prefer to pray and deal with it myself instead of burdening others with it.

Upvote 0