green wolverine

to God be the glory!
May 9, 2009
✟16,164.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
There's a post in the advice forum asking if God takes His Holy Spirit from a person. I don't believe He does based on what I've read and studied, but I'm no theologian. According to the Reformed Faith, does He??

BTW, here's a link to the thread that I've been following:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7367186/

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
For what it's worth...

While God doesn't remove His Holy Spirit from anybody into whom the Holy Spirit has entered, sometimes in our struggles we realize that God would be absolutely justified if He were to do just that. That's not a very good feeling as we go through our Romans 7 struggles. We also see this feeling reflected by David in Psalm 51:10-12.

Create in me a pure heart, O God,
and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

Do not cast me from your presence
or take your Holy Spirit from me.

Restore to me the joy of your salvation
and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

Funny...but I've heard people protest that the song Create in Me a Clean Heart is unscriptural because it contains the line "...take not thy Holy Spirit from me...", when the line is an exact quote from the KJV.

Now, seeing that this feeling is a real thing that we can experience, this is a perfect reason about why even Christians need to hear "grace" proclaimed regularly from our pulpits. Grace is something we never outgrow as Christians, and we need to be constantly reminded of that.

Upvote 0

McWilliams

Senior Veteran
Nov 6, 2005
Texas
✟15,077.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
Once we are His, we are His forever! Christ died for all our sin, past, present and future so there is no way to die with sin clinging to you as your sin is not on you but at the cross by the mercy and grace of Christ!

We can however 'quench' the spirit by sinning but we are so remorseful at such a thought that we plead for His forgiveness and restoration! Believers are horrified at doing what would be unpleasing to their Lord! Their desire is to bring glory to His name in life, thought and deed.

Quench- to suppress http://www.myutmost.org/08/0813.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mlqurgw

Aug 19, 2005
kain tuck ee
✟8,844.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There's a post in the advice forum asking if God takes His Holy Spirit from a person. I don't believe He does based on what I've read and studied, but I'm no theologian. According to the Reformed Faith, does He??

BTW, here's a link to the thread that I've been following:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7367186/
The Spirit never forsakes a believer though it sometimes seems He does. At times we do, as the bride in Song of Solomon 5, make excuses for not opening to Him who is our Beloved and He does seem to withdraw Himself. Those times are to make us seek Him whom our hearts desire above our necessary food. Still we do find Him again because He was always where He said He was, in His garden among the people He has planted.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
For years I was in this hideous church that implied that every time you sinned, God withdrew the Holy Spirit and you back to square one.

If that was the case, one sin would equal the Spirit being withdrawn from you, you would lose your salvation.

Then, you would have to repent all over again. And then, once repented, you'd havwe to be re-baptized, again.

It makes no logical sense.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
There's a balance. No, in God's sight you're not back to square 1. The Spirit is sealed with you (Ep 1:13). That is God-in-you. You don't lose that through sinful actions. Were that true, Paul wouldn't be right to say, "Let me ask you only this: Did you receive the Spirit by works of the law or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?" Gal 3:2-3 And maybe we just need to quote Paul more often.

That's the objective situation. However, we can ignore God even when He's in us, and He is perfectly capable of disciplining us, inside & out. We can lose gifts; we can lose assurance; we can lose an outward reputation. These things aren't saving us, so God is free to do quite a bit to get us back in line. Westminster puts it this way:
True believers may have the assurance of their salvation divers ways shaken, diminished, and intermitted; as, by negligence in preserving of it, by falling into some special sin which wounds the conscience and grieves the Spirit; by some sudden or vehement temptation, by God's withdrawing the light of His countenance, and suffering even such as fear Him to walk in darkness and to have no light: yet are they never so utterly destitute of that seed of God, and life of faith, that love of Christ and the brethren, that sincerity of heart, and conscience of duty, out of which, by the operation of the Spirit, this assurance may, in due time, be revived; and by the which, in the mean time, they are supported from utter despair.
God can seem to disappear if you close your eyes or turn out the lights. But He's still there.

Upvote 0

BrotherBob

Zealot
Mar 6, 2010
Hornitos, California
✟15,761.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
:wave:Since Pentecost all true believers are said to be indwelt (1Corinthians 6:19)(1Samuel 16:14). In the OT believers were temporarily indwelt (for a time).

The Holy Spirit was the helper promised by Christ to His believers. Without the indwelling we're pretty much dead in the water.:cool:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

VCViking

Go ye into all the world, and preach the Gospel...
Oct 21, 2006
United States
✟10,648.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
:wave:Since Pentecost all true believers are said to be indwelt (1Corinthians 6:19)(1Samuel 16:14). In the OT believers were temporarily indwelt (for a time).

The Holy Spirit was the helper promised by Christ to His believers. Without the indwelling we're pretty much dead in the water.:cool:

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

iLogos

Gal 5:16 So Walk In The Spirit!
Jan 24, 2012
✟1,045.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see how the Holy Spirit can be present in us during the moment we sin. GOD can not be present during sin. The removal if that's how you word it is temporal if that. And has nothing to do with the need to repent or be rebaptised again as some have suggested in their hast to understand what is at play here.

Can any of you be in fellowship with God during the action of doing a sin? If so please explain how that is possible as sin is simply the separation from God we willingly do. You can not serve two masters at the same time. Either your serving God or some one else, perhaps yourself.

Upvote 0

JoeyArnold

May 12, 2011
Portland, OR USA
✟3,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don't see how the Holy Spirit can be present in us during the moment we sin. GOD can not be present during sin. The removal if that's how you word it is temporal if that. And has nothing to do with the need to repent or be rebaptised again as some have suggested in their hast to understand what is at play here.

The Holy Spirit leaves every time we sin & comes back after we're done?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoeyArnold

May 12, 2011
Portland, OR USA
✟3,449.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Can u really imagine the Holy Spirit there for the ride while we sin?

Hebrews 13:5: Don't be obsessed with getting more material things. Be relaxed with what you have. Since God assured us, "I'll never let you down, never walk off and leave you," we can boldly quote, God is there, ready to help; I'm fearless no matter what. Who or what can get to me?

Upvote 0

iLogos

Gal 5:16 So Walk In The Spirit!
Jan 24, 2012
✟1,045.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hebrews 13:5: Don't be obsessed with getting more material things. Be relaxed with what you have. Since God assured us, "I'll never let you down, never walk off and leave you," we can boldly quote, God is there, ready to help; I'm fearless no matter what. Who or what can get to me?

Joey are you saying you believe the Holy Spirit is right there during a sin? I won't argue with you I promise. Your opinion is no greater or less then mine, but I would appreciate a simple yes or no to the question. Thank you.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:" -1 Jn. 1:8-10; 2:1 (KJV)

I guess John was writting this to unbelievers.

I guess that Christians on this side of Paradise can attain "sinless perfection".

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
The Holy Spirit leaves every time we sin & comes back after we're done?

The whole point of justification by faith is that this isn't true. Jesus tells us that God loves us even when we sin. Also, see 1 Cor 6:15. While the image is kind of gross, the assumption is that Christ continues to be with us even when we sin. I believe Paul's general model is that Christ's union with us is through the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0