AnticipateHisComing

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure guilt is of God. Does guilt not grieve the indwelling Spirit? I don't think God wants us to stew in guilt.
Why would you ask to be forgiven of sins if you were not the least bit guilty for committing them? There has be a balance. We don't want to live guilt free and we don't want to be buried in guilt. King David and Saul/Paul both expressed guilt and lived on the serve godly lives.

Reactions: Grace2022
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure guilt is of God. Does guilt not grieve the indwelling Spirit? I don't think God wants us to stew in guilt.

But what the sense of conviction? We are to be convicted of our sin in our hearts and seek to overcome sin in our lives through Christ. Are these two the same?

Should the mature believer continue on in guilt when they slip up? Should the mature believer acknowledge the slip up, apologize, and continue on with their life as though nothing happened in order to not grieve the Spirit with negative emotions of guilt?

Believers should feel a godly sorrow over their sin, which includes an awareness of the guilt of sin, which produces repentance and leads to salvation without regret (2 Corinthians 7:10).

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Guilt was a voice with no promise of hope,
the walls of my prison lay claim on my soul,
when out of my bondage His voice spoke to me,
no prison can hold you, I AM the Key!

I have gone to the Mercy Throne,
I've bathed in those waters,
where sins are atoned,
GLORY, GLORY I sing,
HOLY, HOLY my King,
all my sins without number
vanished and gone,
in that River that flows
from God's Mercy Throne.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No.. guilt is not of God. Its of the enemy "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit"

And Christ does what? Judge you? Condemn you? No.. So.. when you feel guilty know its the enemy. And DONT BELIEVE ME. You believe HIS WORD! YOU need to know why Jesus came and what He died for. Not what I tell you why.. but what HE in HIS word tells you.

So.. repent.. and He is faithful to forgive you. But.. guilty? YOU WERE.. and HE PAID that price! It can not be paid again. The Jewish people would do this after they got saved. They would try to offer a sacrifice for that sin they did. So Paul told the... can Christ die again? No.. there is no more sacrifice for that sin. Guilt comes from the enemy. Not God.

So when we sin.. its like you did against your dad or mom. We can still sin..miss it. And we can still hurt Him. But.. NOW your family. So He is faithful to forgive you when you repent and TURN OVER A NEW LEAF! No right to keep sinning. So.. rejoice.. its NOT GOD your Father that gives something that is not of Him.. He tells you.. this is why Christ died.

Upvote 0

sunshineforJesus

is so in love with God
Feb 19, 2014
Sterling Ct
✟716,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
yup guilt is what lets you know your conscience is working.
What ever caused the guilt needs fixed. repent of the sin make reparations ask forgiveness

Godly sorrow and guilt leads to repentance,it hurts to be convicted but leads to making things right with God

• Agree
Reactions: Eloy Craft
Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

But what the sense of conviction? We are to be convicted of our sin in our hearts and seek to overcome sin in our lives through Christ. Are these two the same?

Should the mature believer continue on in guilt when they slip up? Should the mature believer acknowledge the slip up, apologize, and continue on with their life as though nothing happened in order to not grieve the Spirit with negative emotions of guilt?
I think that feeling guilt and shame are part of the process of remorse, which is essential to repentance. It is not of God, but it is the first step of those who are outside of God to look up to the Cross and understand the joy of forgiveness, which is of God.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"Blade, post: 72219563, member: 5990"]No.. guilt is not of God. Its of the enemy "There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit"

So because God doesn't condemn us our conscience isn't our guide anymore? or the ways it reminds us that we have been unjust has changed?

And Christ does what? Judge you? Condemn you? No.. So.. when you feel guilty know its the enemy. And DONT BELIEVE ME. You believe HIS WORD! YOU need to know why Jesus came and what He died for. Not what I tell you why.. but what HE in HIS word tells you.[/QUOTE]

Sins are against our neighbor too.

Upvote 0

Grace2022

Jun 9, 2017
Worcestershire.
✟92,922.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Guilt was a voice with no promise of hope,
the walls of my prison lay claim on my soul,
when out of my bondage His voice spoke to me,
no prison can hold you, I AM the Key!

I have gone to the Mercy Throne,
I've bathed in those waters,
where sins are atoned,
GLORY, GLORY I sing,
HOLY, HOLY my King,
all my sins without number
vanished and gone,
in that River that flows
from God's Mercy Throne.

Beautiful wise words indeed.

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Conviction of sin is from the Holy Spirit. But, guilt that doesn't lead to repentance is not from God. For example, one could feel guilty for being wealthy. But that isn't sin if they're using their wealth for God's glory. Hope that helps. God bless :).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iwbswiaihl2

Aug 18, 2007
✟40,387.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Holy Spirit will convict the world of sin, righteousness and redemption. Just like when Nathan told David about the one who stole the one sheep and then killed theman to have his wife, David realized that he had sinned and confessed it and Nathan told him, God had forgave him. That is what 1 John 1:9 says if we confess our sin He is faithful and just to forgive us and to cleanse us from all unrighteosness. That is the point of walking in faith, claim the forgiveness and thank Him for it, He forgave all our sin and cleansed us when He saved us and therefore there is no condemnation to those that are in Christ Jesus, and has removed us from the law of sin and death. ROM 8:1-4. It's not a license to sin, but a blessing to know that by His one offering He has perfected forever those who come to Him(Heb 10:14).

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes, if you are guilty.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married

James 4:8-10
8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
9 Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom.
10 Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up.

Philippians 3:12-14
12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.
13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead,
14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

No, God does not want us to "stew" in guilt. Neither does He want us to take our sin lightly. Godly sorrow over our sin works repentance, the Bible says. But when we fall, if we want to finish the race, we must get up and keep running the race. We do this by following the direction of 1 John 1:9.

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0

devin553344

I believe in the Resurrection
Nov 10, 2015
Unkown
✟93,810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

I think guilt is part of the evil side of the spirit. Guilt helps nothing to make a person better. In fact a person does better to resolve the sin without guilt in my opinion. Guilt can also be incorrect. For instance one can put a "guilt trip" on someone who is maintaining boundaries. Guilt therefore is a complex emotion. Feeling sorry for sin is good, but guilt I think is evil.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,085.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Romans 3:19
"Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God."

1 Corinthians 11:27
"Wherefore whosoever shall eat this bread, and drink this cup of the Lord, unworthily, shall be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord."

2 Corinthians 7:10
"For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death."

2 Corinthians 7:11
"For behold this selfsame thing, that
ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter."

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Is the opposite for feeling guilty, feeling innocent?
If I am not guilty why do I feel the need for forgiveness?
People seem to relieve their feeling of guilt by blaming others (Adam & Eve, satan, bad luck, others), so if we say: "I am not guilty" does that mean someone else is?
Paul witnesses to others about his past sins, so does he feel guilty and forgive about these past sins?

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Guilt is an emotion, an emotion the flesh uses to express repentance. However, there is a spiritual way of expressing repentance without feeding the flesh.

Upvote 0

Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Here are 3 of the pithiest sayings I've ever heard on the subject of obsessive guilt:
(1) In the first a preacher from my youth was commenting on Micah 7:19: "You [God] will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea" and then explained:

"God buries our sins in the sea of His forgetfulness and puts up a sign that says, "No fishing!" So when you wallow in guilt, you are fishing in a No fishing zone."

The preacher's point was that when we obsess over our guilt, we are unwittingly insulting God's grace by acting as if Jesus's atoning sacrifice on the cross was inadequate for dealing with our guilt problem.

(2) "Love God and do whatever you please (St. Augustine)."

At first sight, this sounds reckless and almost blasphemous. But Augustine wanted to help us conquer our obsessive guilt problem and what he meant was this: If we must be slaves to obsessions, then let our obsession be loving God with all our hearts. Such an obsession is the best antidote to sin. If you relentless love God, then you lighten up and live spontaneously because everything you want to do will be intended to please Him.

(3) "Sin boldly (Martin Luther)."

This saying, too, seems blasphemous at first sight. But what Luther means is this: it is inevitable that Christians will continue to sin in thought, word, or deed. So we have a choice. We can resign ourselves in a defeatist spirit to debilitating guilt and our own worthlessness. Or we can sin with gusto, not deliberately, but with immediately gratitude that God's sacrifice on the cross is sufficient to secure our forgiveness, if we confess our sin and renew our resolve to strive to please Him in all we think, say, and do.

Upvote 0

Galilee63

Dec 14, 2013
Australia
✟43,924.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
First of all - we are Baptized in The Holy Spirit as Christians for many reasons. One being for when we pass over in relation to Judgement by Jesus Christ, God our Heavenly Divine Father and Majesty and Holy Spirit in God The Most High's Holy Divine Truth to be judged and given a greater opportunity to be saved through our Lord Jesus Holy Divine Mercy. "Opportunity" being the emphasis by our Lord Jesus Christ and for people of whom have turned to Jesus in genuine remorse for their sins from hearts open in trust to Him and for those whom have at some stage in our Lords Holy Divine Will, turned to our Most Holy Blessed Virgin Mother of God and Holy Divine Mother for Most Holy Mother Mary's Loving Holy Intercession. When a soul is in a dreadful dilemma passing over with satan trying to grab souls from our Lord Jesus, God our Heavenly Father and Holy Spirit in Gods Holy Truth, and we see all of the stains of sins on our souls illuminated penetrating our souls - souls will have wished desperately wished in deep horror and sorrow - knowing it is too late - tumbling towards hell and satans abode and evil spirits - that they should have been repenting regularly to our Lord Jesus during lives here. And Jesus has appeared to thousands of His Holy Saints now in Heaven requesting and encouraging hearts/souls to turn to Him in remorse for sins or our Lord Jesus loses souls so many of them without repentance of sins made to Him from hearts in remorse.

Prior to reading Gods Holy Word, if people prayed for Jesus and Holy Spirit to highlight all of their sins for repentance to our Lord Jesus - after making The Sign of The Cross and focussing on our Lord Jesus and His Bittter Passion and Life - people would be shocked with the amount of deep sorrow and guilt flooding hearts for having hurt/crucified our Lord Jesus all over again - and that is what Jesus has told many of His Holy Saints/Nuns each Century - that we crucify our most Holy Divine Beautiful Sacred Lamb of God each time we commit a sin and worse - ignore sins- not turning to our Lord Jesus repenting these. If these are repented in remorse from hearts, Jesus explained, then He wipes clean our stains on our souls through His Priests/Disciples in the old days, with having said to Holy Saint Peter and His Disciples

Matthew 18:18

A Brother who Sins
…17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, regard him as you would a pagan or a tax collector. 18Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

"Repent and believe in The Good News" - Gods Holy Word

Matthew 16:19
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven. Whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven."

John 20:23
If you forgive anyone his sins, they are forgiven; if you withhold forgiveness from anyone, it is withheld."

Jesus said these things to His Holy Disciples to Holy Saint John and Holy Saint Peter of whom our Lord Jesus announced for eternity - Gods Holy Word is for eternity -

And I say also unto you, That you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hades shall not prevail against it.

Hence our Lord Jesus, God The Most High's Holy Spirits and Most Holy Mother Mary of God's Holy Catholic Church with our Lord Jesus in His Holy Divine Presence at His Altars in His Blessed Holy Divine Sacraments awaiting...hearts and souls to approach Him in His Fount of Mercy in our Lords Holy Confession and in our Lord's Holy Communion uniting hearts/souls with and in Him now and for eternity.

For a good read on Holy Confession I suggest Holy Saint Padre Pio and the testimonials of hundreds around the world when Holy Saint Padre Pio received our Lord Jesus God The Most High and Holy Spirit in our Lord Jesus Holy Divine Stigmata with Holy Saint Padre Pios writings in relation to hearing Holy Confessions through our Lord Jesus and in our Lord Jesus Holy Divine Presence and or hundreds of the other Catholic Saints/Nuns/Priests - whom received our Lord Jesus appearing to them imploring them to strongly encourage all hearts souls to repent regularly to our Lord Jesus by/from our Lord Jesus.

Jesus requested everything in accordance with His Holy Word of His Holy Saints/Holy Martyrs/Lay Catholics - repentance of sins to our Lord Jesus being one of the essentials to be forgiven now and prior to passing over.

Reading God our Heavenly Father's, our Lord Jesus Christ's Holy Spirit's Holy Word - we receive Holy Spirit - or should be receiving Holy Spirit with our Lord Jesus guiding us and through our Most Holy Blessed Virgin Mother Mary with our Lord Jesus illuminating/highlighting in Gods Holy Discernment - our sins and at other times - through heartfelt prayer, focussing on Jesus on The Cross, on His Bitter Passion, His Life, our Lord Jesus Sorrows and Sufferings and Torments - the deeper we go in our hearts in our relationship with our Lord Jesus - the more our wicked sins should be displayed by God and genuine remorse and deep sorrow felt for having hurt our Lord Jesus Christ and those around us.

Praying to our Lord Jesus and Holy Spirit and Most Holy Mother Mary with our Lord Jesus, with God The Most High and Holy Spirit for our sins to

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,085.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
and for those whom have at some stage in our Lords Holy Divine Will, turned to our Most Holy Blessed Virgin Mother of God and Holy Divine Mother for Most Holy Mother Mary's Loving Holy Intercession.... or should be receiving Holy Spirit with our Lord Jesus guiding us and through our Most Holy Blessed Virgin Mother Mary ...and Most Holy Mother Mary with our Lord Jesus, with God The Most High and Holy Spirit for our sins to
No, you are not correct here. Jesus said to "Come unto me". He never said pray to Mary or seek Mary after she has died to intercede for you.

Jesus also said when you pray say "Our Father which art in heaven..." He never said when you pray say "Hail Mary full of grace..."

this is serious because you are not to put anyone between you and God, and Mary cannot hear all the prayers of those many who pray to her, she is not God, only God knows the hearts of all men.

Turn to Jesus, look unto Him who is the author and FINISHER of our faith.

Upvote 0