Does God Turn Away People Who Want to be Saved?

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Only His sheep know His voice.

Can you tell, just by looking at a man whether he is a sheep or a goat? For that matter, Can you tell if the time is not ripe for him to become a sheep, but he may, later on?

How do you bear such knowledge?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Can you tell, just by looking at a man whether he is a sheep or a goat? For that matter, Can you tell if the time is not ripe for him to become a sheep, but he may, later on?

Why would you think we'd need to bear such knowledge? I'd think that only the Shepherd would.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

I know a guy who literally had a breakdown because he couldn't bear the pressure of souls riding on his work in evangelism. He wasn't a Calvinist. . .

I feel so free sharing the gospel as one who has come to understand God's sovereignty in election. I just proclaim the gospel, and He does the work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You didn't look at all, you just posted that, because I posted it just 8 minutes ago, and you haven't had time to do a careful Bible search.

I'm not new to this and I have studied this subject many, many times before (in the Bible).

If you don't know who you are talking to -- then you don't know who you are talking to.

Not getting fussy -- it's just the truth.

M-Bob

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I know a guy who literally had a breakdown because he couldn't bear the pressure of should riding on his work in evangelism. He wasn't a Calvinist. . .

I feel so free sharing the gospel as one who has come to understand God's sovereignty in election. I just proclaim the gospel, and He does the work.

Listen, Jimmy, I feel that I know by now that, like myself, you have a light spirit in your writing, and I appreciate it. But the thought that you, or anyone else, can tell if someone is ELECT or not, is balderdash. I preach the Word BOLDLY, and it is up to God to water and feed that seed, and maybe I get to reap one, once in a while. While my audience is limited, and my word is limited to typesetting and washing dishes--maybe a little art once in a while. But when I do interact outside of the monastery, I do what little I can do to spread the Word.

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If you don't know who you are talking to -- then you don't know who you are talking to.

But you do not know to whom you are talking, either. I will take odds that I have read the Bible, all the way through, all 73 books, more times than you have read your Bible, with books stripped out of it.

For the first 20 years of my cooperation with Christ, I would start at the beginning, at Genesis 1:1, and read (obviously not all at once) all the way through to Revelation 22:21 about once every three to four months, reading every night. Then I would start over at Gen 1:1. So I know what the Bible says just as well as you do.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Robert76

Robert
Jul 19, 2017
Central Ohio
✟7,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm just a layman, but I think that some will be turned away, for a short time, not permanently cast out of God's will to be saved, but not being able to be saved temporarily, because they are so unclean with sin that God just doesn't want to talk to them. Scriptural support I have for this doesn't lead up to doctrine that I think should be taught as a hard line rule, but Humanity as a race has had 2,000 years to repent. A Human being might have twenty years, but ruins their chance to join with the Will of God until they repent.

What are your thoughts on 2 Peter 3:9 (ESV)...:
"The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance."

...in light of Hebrews 9:27 (ESV)?:
"And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,"

Upvote 0

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So no bearing of sin? Just an opened door for the unrighteous?

I said, "for all who cooperate with Him."

Jesus did it all, on the cross. He paid the price for your sin, my sin, everybody's sin. And for those who cooperate with Him--meaning, for those who have chosen to call upon the name of the Lord, He opened the gates of heaven.

Your last post, (quote above) was just picking nits, as you know full well what I meant. I can tell, from your writing style, etc. and the fact that you are from the USA, that you are a native English speaker, so don't play games with me.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I said, "for all who cooperate with Him."

Jesus did it all, on the cross. He paid the price for your sin, my sin, everybody's sin. And for those who cooperate with Him--meaning, for those who have chosen to call upon the name of the Lord, He opened the gates of heaven.

Your last post, (quote above) was just picking nits, as you know full well what I meant. I can tell, from your writing style, etc. and the fact that you are from the USA, that you are a native English speaker, so don't play games with me.
I have no idea what you believe. I have seen all sorts of strange ideas on here. So don't presume.

If the price for everyone's sins have been paid for, then who is in hell, and why?

Upvote 0

HeatRamosHidden

Aug 26, 2005
✟27,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
What are your thoughts on 2 Peter 3:9 (ESV)...:
"The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance."

...in light of Hebrews 9:27 (ESV)?:
"And just as it is appointed for man to die once, and after that comes judgment,"

I'm not saying they're ruined forever if God kind of hides his face from them, I'm saying that God won't put up with stupidity of sin for some people as if they are ignorant and don't know the consequences of what they're doing. Sometimes God may seem absent, noticeably, in a person's life, even if that person never had him to begin with, so they at least "try" to seek him out. Once they realize that they can't even begin to properly seek God out of their own volition, they may decide to humble themselves so God saves them.

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
But you do not know to whom you are talking, either. I will take odds that I have read the Bible, all the way through, all 73 books, more times than you have read your Bible, with books stripped out of it.

For the first 20 years of my cooperation with Christ, I would start at the beginning, at Genesis 1:1, and read (obviously not all at once) all the way through to Revelation 22:21 about once every three to four months, reading every night. Then I would start over at Gen 1:1. So I know what the Bible says just as well as you do.

Ok so you have me there by the reading of the Book more than I (if that counts) ?
You don't have my wife by much.
So here is your question -- where do we locate purgatory in the Bible.
thanks
Bob

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Does God Turn Away People Who Want to be Saved?

Are there sinners who desire mercy but get none?
John 3:16 tells us there is eternal life for all who believe in Jesus.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It would have been, if only 100% of people accepted Jesus's forgiveness. But they unfortunately don't...
Why would they be there if Jesus paid the price for their sins?

Upvote 0