• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Does God take care of our health?

Fish14

Dec 16, 2016
Brussels
✟33,236.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have become so obsessed about food and exercise that I can't focus on Christian things. This has had the opposite effect than what I thought. I have lost 10 pounds (of muscle, not fat) in a very short time and I'm slightly underweight.

I hope that if I concentrate on God again, He will bless me with good shape and health. What do you think? Will He do it?

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I hope that if I concentrate on God again, He will bless me with good shape and health. What do you think? Will He do it?

The following comes to mind:

Matthew 6:25-34King James Version (KJV)

25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

And the verses that follow that may be helpful as well.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have become so obsessed about food and exercise that I can't focus on Christian things. This has had the opposite effect than what I thought. I have lost 10 pounds (of muscle, not fat) in a very short time and I'm slightly underweight.

1Ti_4:8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.​

We have the responsibility to take care of our health. But the Lord is more concerned with your spiritual health.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nowhere does God promise to give us good health, regardless of what we do. Just do your best to be healthy, and the chips will fall where they may. God's more interested in your inside anyway.

Upvote 0

hopesum

Oct 31, 2017
✟15,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Does God take care of our health?

No, you have to do it. He provides the food and body. The mind, etc.

Example, he doesn't provide paper. He provided trees and other pulp that we have made into paper.
He doesn't provide lawn mowers, he provided the engineering mind.

It's great that you are into health, not great that you feel it comes before Him.
The word gives you all you need in these matters.

"But the fruit of the Spirit [the result of His presence within us] is love [unselfish concern for others], joy, [inner] peace, patience [not the ability to wait, but how we act while waiting], kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control." —Galatians 5:22-23
The Spirit of God within you bares the fruit of self control.
You can place God as a priority and still take care of your health. Even more so when you put Him first because a relationship means you're tuned in to receive guidance and support from Him.

(He does perform miracles with disease, illness and injury, but stewardship (which is what you're talking about) is our responsibility.

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Jesus will bless you with a good shape and health. I have the same prayer to the Lord. I am healing from being overfed. I feel Jesus will heal us.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

R. Hartono

Feb 2, 2018
Depok
✟22,935.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
God gives us freedom to exercise and to avoid excessive food/fat because everything good if taken excessively will only be bad for our bodies. God gives us knowledge which food is good and bad and thats our freedom to eat that or not.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,805.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Here is what the word says about how to keep our health.
Proverbs 4:20 My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings.

21 Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart.

22 For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh.

23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

Jeremiah 30:17 For I will restore health unto thee, and I will heal thee of thy wounds, saith the Lord; because they called thee an Outcast, saying, This is Zion, whom no man seeketh after.

Jeremiah 33:6 Behold, I will bring it health and cure, and I will cure them, and will reveal unto them the abundance of peace and truth.

3 John 1:2 Beloved, I wish above all things
that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

Ps 103:2 Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits:

3 Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases;

4 Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies;

Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian

No. We are not to put God to the test, that is, try to put him in a position where he must act. This is nothing more than manipulation and magical thinking.

• Agree
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
John 16:13
"Howbeit when he (it), the Spirit of truth, is come, he (it) will guide you into all truth............."

This includes any truth that you seek, including health. However, God won't reveal certain truths to you until the time is right in your life. Too much truth too soon can be harmful. For example, regarding health, many people in the developed world eat twice as much food as they need. Half of that food provides nutrition and energy, the other half is a dangerous burden on their bodies. But to reduce food by one-half would place an unbearable mental burden on these people, until they are ready to accept the truth of it. Sadly for most it is usually too late and the damage is done by the time they learn this, if they ever do.

Upvote 0