Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's hard to remember dreams, only bits and pieces.
Thanks for your reply.
How could anyone possibly have any kind of measuring stick of authenticity that it was really God? Dreams are so loopy and fantastical, you aren’t grounded like you are in your awoken proper state of mind. The reliability is 10 times less certain than if you were extremely drunk.

As a rule, prophetic dreams stick out in the mind very vividly, so much so that they sometimes wake the believer out of a sound sleep, and are remembered clearly in detail for decades into the future. Bits and pieces dreams aren't worth worrying over. They may have meaning, but nothing to "lose sleep over" (pardon the pun). If a dream is important and truly from God, there will be no mistaking it. Post #51 and a few others on this thread are examples.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This rules nobody out and says absolutely nothing against people receiving dreams today. In fact it says the opposite of what you think.
Here's what applies today.-
Acts2v17"'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams.

I never read through this exchange, Francis, but the above would have been my answer as well. If He will pour out His Spirit upon all flesh and "all flesh" will dream dreams and see visions, then it would not make sense if only prophets can receive and interpret them. It would imply that in the end-times absolutely everyone in the body of Christ will be a prophet. This is contrary to scripture, as Ephesians states clearly that God gave some to be apostles, prophets, teachers, evangelists, pastors, etc, not all.
The doctrines you keep pushing have robbed the ekklesia, including yourself, of the directive involvement of God in their lives. You have hardened your own heart against God speaking and you've caused others to become hardened.

The fact that God does speak today, by various means including dreams visions and prophecy is attested by countless testimonies, including many from my own life.

Well put.

I couldn't care less whether or not I am a prophet, and I have never claimed the title despite people trying to defame me as if I had. But I cannot fathom living life without the Lord guiding me prophetically through dreams. It would be like not even being saved almost, in that it would be as if I had no close relationship with Him and did not have Him guiding my life in a very personal way, not just by "impressions" but specifically, revealing to me exactly where I am and were I am going.

I understand the concerns some people have about superficial Christians getting swept up by things that are not of God, but the Cessationist position unfortunately assumes that everyone is spiritually immature and superficial, which is a terrible assumption to make and leads one to post things that are spiritually irresponsible to teach.

Hope you are well these days.
- H

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Francis Drake
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I understand the concerns some people have about superficial Christians getting swept up by things that are not of God, but the Cessationist position unfortunately assumes that everyone is spiritually immature and superficial, which is a terrible assumption to make and leads one to post things that are spiritually irresponsible to teach.

Hope you are well these days.
- H
I didn't read the exchange above this post but I think that everyone who doesn't have other's gifts are skeptical of all but their own when we should all just use discernment into the truth that can be gleaned from others. I used to be intepret dreams and that is not an easy task. So I commend those who do. Dreams seem to be more personal while prophets proclaim future events imo. But my prayer is that all would have the gift of discernment so as not to listen to superficial christians.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't read the exchange above this post but I think that everyone who doesn't have other's gifts are skeptical of all but their own when we should all just use discernment into the truth that can be gleaned from others.

IMO, Discernment is needed more than any other gift when it comes to interpreting dreams, the dreams of others in particular. Something I'm still praying for, and you are correct; it is by no means an easy task. I'm good at interpretation in general, especially the written word of God, but when it comes to personal dreams especially, without Discernment you can go down paths that seem logical but are in fact incorrect.

As stated, I do understand those who hold to a healthy skepticism, but to throw the baby out with the bathwater is to throw Christ out of the church for all intents and purposes.
Dreams seem to be more personal while prophets proclaim future events imo.

There are at least two different classes of dreams, and I know this from personal experience. Most are prophetic on a personal level, but there are some that speak of future events on the world stage, and a believer (any believer, IMO) can receive either one if God so choses to use them. But again it takes Discernment in order to know which is which.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
IMO, Discernment is needed more than any other gift when it comes to interpreting dreams, the dreams of others in particular. Something I'm still praying for, and you are correct; it is by no means an easy task. I'm good at interpretation in general, especially the written word of God, but when it comes to personal dreams especially, without Discernment you can go down paths that seem logical but are in fact incorrect.

As stated, I do understand those who hold to a healthy skepticism, but to throw the baby out with the bathwater is to throw Christ out of the church for all intents and purposes.

There are at least two different classes of dreams, and I know this from personal experience. Most are prophetic on a personal level, but there are some that speak of future events on the world stage, and a believer (any believer, IMO) can receive either one if God so choses to use them. But again it takes Discernment in order to know which is which.
I agree except on a personal level that you revealed in the post not quoted by me.

You said:
I cannot fathom living life without the Lord guiding me prophetically through dreams. It would be like not even being saved almost, in that it would be as if I had no close relationship with Him and did not have Him guiding my life in a very personal way, not just by "impressions" but specifically, revealing to me exactly where I am and were I am going.
My personal need is the warmth of the scriptures shining on me, while dreams serve me for a season then fade away. But we all experience Him uniquely. Our gift is the discernment of Him. Our task is to not turn away from the mirror once we see our true place.

Like you said some dreams are prophetic and we may not even know it until they come to pass. That has happened in other's dreams that I have interpretated, and they were future events on a large scale. Other dreams if focused on are the mind trying to make sense of everyday events, and that's not a bad thing either. Again, discernment to what needs action on where. Each gift is not the expertise of another so we all must find our own. God has not left us helpless, but each member compliments the next.

Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My personal need is the warmth of the scriptures shining on me, while dreams serve me for a season then fade away. But we all experience Him uniquely. Our gift is the discernment of Him. Our task is to not turn away from the mirror once we see our true place.

It's why I'm returning to my roots now where it all began (i.e. the intensive study of scripture). Not only is it the seeking of Biblical Light that He confirms and endorses through interpersonal communication, but I found He often uses scriptural analogies in dreams as well, which means the two tend to reinforce each other. The stronger we are in our understanding of scripture and scriptural analogies, the stronger we are in the reception and interpretation of dreams.

Mine don't really fade away, they just show up occasionally when needed to encourage me or to warn me about something coming. Sometimes I have more going on than others, whereas at other times I'm most just enjoying times of rest. Maybe it's the same with you.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟311,347.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's why I'm returning to my roots now where it all began (i.e. the intensive study of scripture). Not only is it the seeking of Biblical Light that He confirms and endorses through interpersonal communication, but I found He often uses scriptural analogies in dreams as well, which means the two tend to reinforce each other. The stronger we are in our understanding of scripture and scriptural analogies, the stronger we are in the reception and interpretation of dreams.

Mine don't really fade away, they just show up occasionally when needed to encourage me or to warn me about something coming. Sometimes I have more going on than others, whereas at other times I'm most just enjoying times of rest. Maybe it's the same with you.
I can so relate to that. I find a great peace in it. What I find pictured for me is that move from the noise of the quarry to the peace surrounding the temple area where all the pieces fit together. What remains is still the grinding to smooth the edges. Nice to hear from you.

Reactions: Hidden In Him
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can so relate to that. I find a great peace in it. What I find pictured for me is that move from the noise of the quarry to the peace surrounding the temple area where all the pieces fit together. What remains is still the grinding to smooth the edges. Nice to hear from you.

You as well. Always a blessing discussing things with those we share things in common with spiritually.

Blessings in Christ, and thank you for sharing.
- H

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Jesus would literally appear to me in dreams as flesh and blood person (for the most part).

He seems to assume many different appearances. Most often I saw Him as an old man dressed up like a hermit or a prophet with long curly dirty white hair and beard walking around with a shepherd's staff. Looking like a beggar but carried Himself with great confidence. Once He appeared as a middle aged Native American man with well trimmed hair and no facial hair and wearing traditional Native American clothes and another time as a 30's something unkempt white man with medium long curly dirty blonde hair with some facial hair dressed as a gardener and also tending a garden.

It would seem most of His disguises are as a lowly or poor / weak person.

His most interesting disguise is that of a big and powerful Sasquatch when roaming alone deep in the forest. It was from that form that He transformed into a Native American man.

It makes you wonder in the Bible when we often read Jesus retreating into the wilderness all by Himself and spending time with the wild animals if He actually changed into a Sasquatch form. The Bible does not mention it. But there were few occasions told in the Bible where He can assume different appearance (where the disciples did not recognize Him) like post resurrection, hovering over water, and when He disappeared mysteriously amidst an angry mob out to kill Him.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟163,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican

Dreams follow the same pattern as the gifts,... ones that contain current and past facts, like the word of knowledge, and ones that are predictive for the individual as well as predictive of GOD's will, like the word of wisdom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I'm one of those boring guys that God never speaks to me and I haven't remembered any dream in years and years. I envy those who God helps guide them in life as I make too many mistakes.

Actually, Jesus started showing up in my dreams AFTER I made the monumental mistakes in my life! And I'm still suffering in my mistakes.

It all started when I hit rock bottom in my life..

Looking back. I actually thought the "guidance" I got from the Lord when I was still successful in the world is genuine but may not have been. It could have been the deceiving spirit because I realize now how worldly success and being looked up to by everyone is extremely deceitful.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟895,522.00
Faith
Christian
Actually, Jesus started showing up in my dreams AFTER I made the monumental mistakes in my life! And I'm still suffering in my mistakes.

It all started when I hit rock bottom in my life..

Looking back. I actually thought the "guidance" I got from the Lord when I was still successful in the world is genuine but may not have been. It could have been the deceiving spirit because I realize now how worldly success and being looked up to by everyone is extremely deceitful.
Possible a mixture of the two, without a gift to discern things you can be hoodwinked into the wrong thinking and also as desires grow it is the usual influence on the content of dreams, God has to sort of override it for the most part and demons can influence our desires and thus our dreams.

Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party
I didn't read the exchange above this post but I think that everyone who doesn't have other's gifts are skeptical of all but their own when we should all just use discernment into the truth that can be gleaned from others. I used to be intepret dreams and that is not an easy task. So I commend those who do. Dreams seem to be more personal while prophets proclaim future events imo. But my prayer is that all would have the gift of discernment so as not to listen to superficial christians.
Discernment has to be top of the list at every stage of our walk. There is a plethora of Christian and non Christian dream interpretation books out there, and it's easy to be taken in by them when they catalogue what each symbol in a dream means.

In reality, dreams are like the parables, and symbols can change. Here's Jesus explaining the symbolism used in two parables.-

Matt13v18“Therefore hear the parable of the sower: 19When anyone hears the word of the kingdom, and does not understand it, then the wicked one comes and snatches away what was sown in his heart. This is he who received seed by the wayside.
Here we see that seed represents the word of the Kingdom, and the field represents the heart.

And a few verses further on in that same chapter, what do we find?
Matt13v37He answered and said to them: “He who sows the good seed is the Son of Man. 38The field is the world, the good seeds are the sons of the kingdom, but the tares are the sons of the wicked one.
As can be seen, the symbolism has completely changed and the seed now represents people, sons of God or sons of Satan, and likewise the field is no longer the heart of man, but the world!

Just like wisdom, discernment is a gift freely given and should become part of our daily lives. In contrast, engaging the brain without the Spirit is utterly stupid, but we all do it.

Even the disciples messed things up when they ran away with their brains. Here's the disciples' natural man at work.-
John21v20Then Peter, turning around, saw the disciple whom Jesus loved following, who also had leaned on His breast at the supper, and said, “Lord, who is the one who betrays You?” 21Peter, seeing him, said to Jesus, “But Lord, what about this man?”

22Jesus said to him, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you? You follow Me.”

23Then this saying went out among the brethren that this disciple would not die. Yet Jesus did not say to him that he would not die, but, “If I will that he remain till I come, what is that to you?”

Jesus is in the midst, and they still get what He said hopelessly wrong.

Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God never speaks through night time dreams.
That literally goes against scripture. Plenty of biblical characters have had night visions or dreams from God which were warnings. Like the father of Jesus to preserve his life.

Then of course the scripture stating God pours out dreams on his people.

I don't get the push back against dreams.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have had many dreams over many decades from the Lord which have proven revelatory.
Scripture shows a long history of God speaking through dreams, and a promise that such dreams will continue to happen in the future.
Obviously that does not mean all dreams are from the Lord, but if our starting premise is that God doesn't speak through dreams, then we will never hear him when he does.
Absolutely this. So sad to see people shut God out.

Upvote 0

Macchiato

Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2019
Ccccc
✟143,388.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm one of those boring guys that God never speaks to me and I haven't remembered any dream in years and years. I envy those who God helps guide them in life as I make too many mistakes.
Ask Him for help. You don't have to wait for a dream.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,719.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
or do you believe your dreams are prophetic? Is any of it biblical?
Most dreams are not prophetic, some can even be satanic. It is rare to have a dream from God. But they do occur.

I have had some prophetic dreams, dreams that foretold future events. These dreams were different from normal, when I awoke I remembered them vividly, and I somehow knew they told future events. One of these dreams was full of bright light, it was very Spiritual. These dreams have come to pass.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
But what does Scripture say?
Every example in Scripture concerning dreams is that the dream has contained a definite message and that the person has known that the dream was totally different to the ordinary dreams he has had. Dreams that are made up of confusing, mixed up images that say basically nothing, are not from the Holy Spirit, in the same way that many of the "word salad" prophecies we see on Youtube, especially of the Glory of Zion church, which say basically nothing, are not of the Holy Spirit but are a mixture of Charismatic buzz words. A good dream along with a good prophecy, gives a definite message that increases a person's faith in Christ. Honestly, I don't see that a dream that shows the devil chasing someone on a bike can come from the Holy Spirit. Yesterday at the fruit market, I told a joke to someone (a joke I wouldn't say on this forum), and during the night I had a dream when I said exactly the same joke to two people that I know, and they both laughed. I told the Lord that it was a strange and vivid dream but no way would I interpret it as any message from the Lord. But if I had booked to fly from Christchurch to Auckland in a week's time and I got a dream that told me, "Don't use that flight but change it to another." I would change the flight because I would know that I got that dream for a reason, even if the plane did not crash. It might mean that God wanted me in a particular place at a particular time, or to meet a particular person on the new flight and was open to the Gospel. I do remember once when I was booked to fly from Auckland to Wellington on business, I had a dream the night before where I was on a plane flying very low over a forest. That was interesting, but I never took it as a warning not to go on that flight. However I have heard of people having a strong premonition not to go on a flight and when they rebooked, they found out that the flight they were previously booked crashed with no survivors. Now that is really spooky!

Upvote 0