✟472,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Please have a look at this

Does God really want us to become vegan?

and tell me what you think

So the chief problem with this article is that it ignores the Book of Genesis (specifically, the Noachide Law), the Book of Acts (Peter’s dream, and the council of Jerusalem), and The Gospel According to Luke (where Jesus Christ, who is God Incarnate, after His resurrection, eats fish with his disciples before His glorious Ascension).

The article also erroneously presupposes the ceremonial laws of the Old Testament are still in full effect, and consequently comes across as legalistic and not particularly graceful.

• Agree
Reactions: coffee4u
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
There are many things Jesus did not say. That's why it's important to look at the principles Jesus taught and teachings overall, instead of expecting every little thing to be spelled out.

We know that Jesus taught mercy. We know that Jesus taught to love others, not only our neighbors (which doesn't mean only the people who live next door to you, it goes beyond that) but even our enemies. We know that Jesus taught the Golden Rule, to treat others the way we would want to be treated. Would you want to be kept in a small cage, mutilated, fattened up then stabbed in the throat and hung upside down to die so someone munch on your flesh? We know that Jesus cared about the innocent, vulnerable and defenseless among us.

When you look at the principles Jesus taught, to me it's clear that those principles fit in far better with veganism than with flesh eating. Feel free to try to change my mind though.

So why did he not only eat fish, but assist His disciples in catching them in great abundance?

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
Veagan and Vegetarian arguments amuse me. I'm always curious about what adamant Veagans and Vegetarians think will happen to the cows, hogs, sheep, and chickens they think they'll "save" if the world turns to a total plant based diet? Will they have better lives laying around the barn yard, lazily chewing their cuds in the shade? Do they think farmers are going to keep cows as pets? Maybe a nice sheep kept in the back yard to graze so we don't have to mow? Or will they be roaming our streets like in some 3rd world country? No, they will gradually move toward extinction as a species on the planet because we have no use for them save for the few in zoos where we can go see them in their cages. :rooster::sheep::ox::pig:

If one wants to eat a plant-based diet exclusively, good on 'em. But let's not dress it up as God's will.

If everyone stopped eating meat tomorrow, the farmers would ne forced to euthanize most of their livestock. This happened in the British beef and lamb industry during the Mad Cow Disease / Hoof and Mouth / Scabie crisis in the late 1990s, and a similar event was literally days away from happening in the US when the meat packing industry came within inches of shutting down due to Coronavirus.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
A Vegan, a Cross Fit Trainer, and an Atheist walked into a bar. The only reason we know is because they told everyone in the first two minutes.

I seriously love you prodromos - you’re one of the funniest guys Ive met online.

Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟472,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Celibate
If possible, allow me to give you an advice.
I apologize anyone who doesn't need it,

That pray with, follow, and practice Jehovah's and Jesus' words to the best of your knowledge, your heart and your soul.

That way, you cannot go wrong.

May you have peace.

Forgive me, but YHWH and Jesus Christ are two persons in one Godhood; the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are one God in three persons , of coequal majesty and divinity. And what is more, Jesus Christ is the uncreated Word of God, so the phrase “Jehovah’s words and Jesus’ (sic) words” is redundant.

• Agree
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,895.00
Faith
Non-Denom
If everyone stopped eating meat tomorrow, the farmers would ne forced to euthanize most of their livestock. This happened in the British beef and lamb industry during the Mad Cow Disease / Hoof and Mouth / Scabie crisis in the late 1990s, and a similar event was literally days away from happening in the US when the meat packing industry came within inches of shutting down due to Coronavirus.

I happen to live in Iowa and am deeply grateful to our governor in her efforts to keep both our agricultural industry working and, much more importantly, America fed. When two of our meatpacking plants were closed as a result of the coronavirus hundreds of hogs had to be slaughtered and disposed of, which is no easy task, because the supply chain was disrupted.

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
FredVB said:
But it is not balanced at all. Having any amount of meat is not better for you, you can have a much healthier way of eating with just having what is plant-based that consists of whole foods. Sure there are vegetarian and vegan ways of eating that are not so healthy. Those ways are not advisable. But having just good variety of whole food that is plant-based is by far much healthier, and there is no amount of meat that makes it more balanced. See www.forksoverknives.com.

All the modern livestock industry has mistreatment of the animals there. With our choosing products from that we contribute to that continuing. There is morality involved in choices for that, any conscience left with us should tell us that, and there is scripture for showing that if there is not that conscience left for us that we wouldn't need it.

There is nothing to show Jesus eating any meat before the resurrection, and the one passage about what Jesus showed he could eat, showing he was alive, the focus of the passage and not an endorsement for what to eat, is questionable, as honeycomb is mentioned, but eliminated in some versions, and the Christ ate it, which is not definitive at all whether it was from the honeycomb, or the fish mentioned there, or fish and honeycomb combo for breakfast, which I just wouldn't believe anyone would have at all.

That is understanding from it completely out of context just like most scripture passages people use to argue the point. It is about the issue of idolatry, in which Paul was considering overly conscientious believers avoiding anything for possibly having been offered to idols as being weak. It was in no way about vegans, or vegetarians, who choose to not have meat for other very meaningful reasons, that are not contrary to anything in the Bible.

This is really baloney. There are plenty of those serving God in the ways they know how to, as it may be hoped of those posting here, and they avoid contribution to many problematic things with their choices, which is not contrary to God, still with the service to God for God's glory.

If there are reasons for not using any of the animal products, those reasons should be communicated, and there are the reasons, and there is scriptural basis for that.

JacksBratt said:
I'm much healthier and less grumpy, sleep better when I eat a diet that is consistent with what I was raised with.... which is "Start with the type of meat and build the rest of the meal around that"..

It's not for everyone. It's night the "right" way. I'm not claiming that it is "God's" way. It's the way I was raised and I have found that I am a meat eater..... and healthiest when I stick to a diet with 50% meat.

If I go off of it... eat more pasta, salads, beans, vegetables, fruits and such... I get bloated, gassy and I'm always hungry.

No, that is not healthier. If information I bother to show was looked at it could be understood why I can say that is not healthier. You are full of toxins, your body needs to expel those and have you adjust to the healthier way, which you have not had yet

Strong in Him said:
He celebrated at least one Passover with his disciples - and probably many more than that. He was a Jew from a Jewish family.
Lamb was eaten at the Passover.

In John 21 Jesus said to the disciples, "bring some of the fish you have caught." He had already built a fire with some fish on it.
True, there is no verse that says, 'then Jesus ate the fish'; but it would have been pretty strange if he hadn't.

None of that proved anything of what Jesus ate, at all. It is not strange. There were traditions that Jesus did not eat meat passed down among early Christian believers, many of them stopped eating meat, and it can be shown with evidence still around that apostles gave up eating meat. James the brother of the Lord did not eat animal products.

JacksBratt said:
Sorry Fred, but my doctor said that in today's age with the speed at which they grow veges.... it is very hard to get a proper diet without meat. Not impossible.. but difficult.

Do you know any farmers? Seriously, the animals are their income. They have vets looking after them and they treat them well. If they don't, then they don't grow well and don't sell for good prices..

They take very good care of their product.

So, Jesus is a vegetarian? Seriously? He was not from a rich family. He was never rich. He ate what they could acquire and afford... So, I see no reason logically or biblical to start that gossip.

I understand. You want everyone to be a vegetarian. Why is that? Why do vegetarians want everyone to be like them. Why do they always have to voice it.. like it puts them above others.. that others are "not vegetarian"....

Look, eat what you want. Be a vegetarian if you think it's best for you. But, you won't convert people by saying Jesus was a vegetarian.

I have vegetarians in the family.. We put on a vegy burger for them or accommodate them the best we can.. We don't look down on them and they don't preach to us... I get it...

Even if the bible said the Jesus ate no meat.... Which it doesn't..... He never said it was a sin to eat it. Not only that but in many cases they talk about eating meat and it's never condemned.

You and your doctor are in error. Many doctors have no training in nutrition, there is no requirement for such training. But some doctors did learn from nutrition training. The site I show from Forks Over Knives is from such doctors, they have literally saved lives with this healthy way, that none here are considering. Many of you will die from cancers, or heart attack or getting a stroke, or from having diabetes. It will be because you could not consider changing your way.

I know there are farmers who have changed their business as vegans.

Good care of their product? Seriously? Do you hear yourself when you talk?

We do not have anytging for certainty showing what Jesus was eating.

I give you plenty of reasons to be vegan. There are not better reasons to not be, certainly.

You and those saying the same thing are the ones bringing up what Jesus ate, which can't be shown as a certainty.

What the Bible does say is God hates the destructiveness. We have to answer to that. Cruelty to animals is only from those who are wicked, the righteous is kind to animals, Proverbs 12:10.

The Liturgist said:
Indeed, it is very true.

Most especially St. Peter’s dream in Acts.

We are made out of meat.

It is an embarrassment how "believers" use scripture passages so much out of context. Read the account fully to understand, it isn't about having meat.

The Liturgist said:
Indeed, in the Gospel of Luke, our risen Lord eats fish with the disciples in a post-Resurrection appearance, which suggests that we may well continue to eat meat in the world to come. This is a thrilling prospect for me given my great enthusiasm for sushi.

No not at all. That is not shown at all.

The Liturgist said:
So the chief problem with this article is that it ignores the Book of Genesis (specifically, the Noachide Law), the Book of Acts (Peter’s dream, and the council of Jerusalem), and The Gospel According to Luke (where Jesus Christ, who is God Incarnate, after His resurrection, eats fish with his disciples before His glorious Ascension).

The article also erroneously presupposes the ceremonial laws of the Old Testament are still in full effect, and consequently comes across as legalistic and not particularly graceful.

Very bad interpretations still. It is not shown what Jesus ate, as I previously explained. Why promote Noachide law?

The Liturgist said:
So why did he not only eat fish, but assist His disciples in catching them in great abundance?

He did not. When he showed a miracle of many fish, it was a miraculous provision. And he called them away from fishing, to gather from men and women to bring some to Christ.

There is that sad reality that when slaughter plants are closed many animals will have their miserable lives there terminated, and no more of those animal lives will be there, bred for miserable captivity and slaughter at a young age. It is sad, but that it goes on is yet worse. There are sanctuaries for farmed animals, would that there were more of them. But they won't be bred there, like animals are in the animal agriculture industry. Meanwhile wildlife is disappearing from civilization's growth. The environments with wildlife need to be saved, those should thrive, while we do not need farm animals to be continually bred.

Heaven will be without any suffering, any place with suffering cannot be heaven. If you do not trust there is anything better for you than meat, do you belong in heaven?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,196.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
None of that proved anything of what Jesus ate, at all. It is not strange. There were traditions that Jesus did not eat meat passed down among early Christian believers, many of them stopped eating meat, and it can be shown with evidence still around that apostles gave up eating meat. James the brother of the Lord did not eat animal products.

Jesus wanted to celebrate a FINAL Passover meal with his disciples - the implication is that he had celebrated others. Indeed, as a Jew, he would have observed the Passover.
The main ingredient of this meal, is lamb. It would have been very strange if, throughout his life whenever their was a Passover meal, Jesus had said "no meat for me thanks; God doesn't want us to eat it."

God told the Hebrews not to eat unclean animals; he never said "don't eat animals at all." Again he gave then the Passover.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,895.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Jesus wanted to celebrate a FINAL Passover meal with his disciples - the implication is that he had celebrated others. Indeed, as a Jew, he would have observed the Passover.
The main ingredient of this meal, is lamb. It would have been very strange if, throughout his life whenever their was a Passover meal, Jesus had said "no meat for me thanks; God doesn't want us to eat it."

God told the Hebrews not to eat unclean animals; he never said "don't eat animals at all." Again he gave then the Passover.

Picky, picky, picky. ;)

Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Strong in Him said:

You were ignoring the points I made to make your own points, from what you understand, as if that is enough to dismiss the other points. Your argument is from what you believe Jesus had to do. That is hardly a good argument for saying we should eat meat. I though do not believe Jesus had to do anything. Jesus made choices for what was right, and that was it. There were many things Jesus did not just go along with. Others disliked him for that. We just do not know from scriptures what he ate, I don't claim to know from it, I won't believe you when you say you do know from it. There is nothing there from it for that. Ancient tradition of early believers show that they believed Jesus did not eat meat. But admittedly those are just their traditions. But you miss the point of the Passover if you believe it is about meat we should eat. It was about deliverance with atonement, with blood. People of Israel were delivered from bondage in Egypt originally, and that was a symbolic type for deliverance from bondage to a sinful life living in the cursed world with sin, and that is it. It was to be remembered in the ceremony that the people of Israel rushed out at a moment's notice. They had meat available to eat, and people were eating meat back then they were supposed to burn what meat was left that was not eaten that day. It was not necessarily all eaten, it was not necessarily all who ate meat. And you are not right to say Jesus had to do anything, and certainly not right to say that overrides everything so that we should eat meat now. Please consider and deal with the points I actually made.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,196.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You were ignoring the points I made to make your own points, from what you understand, as if that is enough to dismiss the other points.

You said:
None of that proved anything of what Jesus ate, at all. It is not strange.

I disagreed with you.
As a Jew, man and boy, there is nothing to suggest that Jesus would not have kept the Jewish feasts - in fact we are told that he went to the feast of tabernacles and celebrated a final Passover meal with his disciples. The main food in a Passover meal is lamb. If you are arguing that Jesus celebrated the Passover but did not eat the lamb, you need to show evidence.

Your argument is from what you believe Jesus had to do.

I am saying that as a Jew, Jesus would have eaten lamb at the Passover, and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.
The Hebrews at Sinai were given a list of unclean meats; they were not ordered to refrain from it completely.

That is hardly a good argument for saying we should eat meat.

I don't think it's a question of "should" on either side; we don't have to eat meat and we don't have to refrain from it.

I though do not believe Jesus had to do anything.

Of course he didn't.
But there are no verses which say, "you to ahead and eat the Passover lamb; I'm vegetarian." And we are told that after the resurrection he ate fish in their presence - he didn't say, "I am breaking my vegetarian principles just to prove that I am alive."

We just do not know from scriptures what he ate,

Except where we are explicitly told that he ate a piece of fish after the resurrection.

I won't believe you when you say you do know from it.

I never said that I knew what he ate, and never said that you had to believe me.
I said that, as a Jew it would have been strange if he had not eaten lamb at the Passover meal - along with every other Jew.
When the Hebrew slaves were about to leave Egypt, they were instructed to take a lamb, kill it and eat the meat roasted over a fire, Exodus 12:1-11. They were told to determine how much lamb they needed depending on what each person could eat, and if their family was too small to manage a whole lamb, they were to share it with their neighbours, Exodus 12:4. I suppose a family could have had someone in it who was a vegetarian/vegan and refused to eat any lamb. We aren't told that; we are just told how to prepare the meat for their meal.

Ancient tradition of early believers show that they believed Jesus did not eat meat. But admittedly those are just their traditions.

Well exactly.
I can't prove that Jesus definitely ate the Passover lamb - but you can't prove that he didn't.
What I said was that it would have been strange if he hadn't.

But you miss the point of the Passover if you believe it is about meat we should eat. It was about deliverance with atonement, with blood.

Yes, it was about the final plague in Egypt, when the angel of death passed over the homes that had lamb's blood on the doorposts.
But in Exodus 12, they are specifically instructed how to prepare, and eat, the lamb.

They had meat available to eat,

Exactly.
They were told to eat meat - not solely plants or fruit.

and people were eating meat back then they were supposed to burn what meat was left that was not eaten that day. It was not necessarily all eaten, it was not necessarily all who ate meat.

No, like I just said, there may have been vegetarians/vegans in the households; we are not told.
But the fact that they were told to take, kill and eat a lamb, means that the eating of meat was not forbidden.

And you are not right to say Jesus had to do anything, and certainly not right to say that overrides everything so that we should eat meat now.

I didn't say that - and I certainly didn't say that something that we are not told about Jesus overrides everything we are told.
I said that it would have been strange if he had not celebrated Passover, and not eaten the Passover lamb. If he didn't, it was not important enough for the Gospel writers to record.

• Agree
Reactions: coffee4u
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Strong in Him said:
I disagreed with you.
As a Jew, man and boy, there is nothing to suggest that Jesus would not have kept the Jewish feasts - in fact we are told that he went to the feast of tabernacles and celebrated a final Passover meal with his disciples. The main food in a Passover meal is lamb. If you are arguing that Jesus celebrated the Passover but did not eat the lamb, you need to show evidence.

I am saying that as a Jew, Jesus would have eaten lamb at the Passover, and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise.
The Hebrews at Sinai were given a list of unclean meats; they were not ordered to refrain from it completely.

I don't think it's a question of "should" on either side; we don't have to eat meat and we don't have to refrain from it.

Of course he didn't.
But there are no verses which say, "you to ahead and eat the Passover lamb; I'm vegetarian." And we are told that after the resurrection he ate fish in their presence - he didn't say, "I am breaking my vegetarian principles just to prove that I am alive."

Except where we are explicitly told that he ate a piece of fish after the resurrection.

I never said that I knew what he ate, and never said that you had to believe me.
I said that, as a Jew it would have been strange if he had not eaten lamb at the Passover meal - along with every other Jew.
When the Hebrew slaves were about to leave Egypt, they were instructed to take a lamb, kill it and eat the meat roasted over a fire, Exodus 12:1-11. They were told to determine how much lamb they needed depending on what each person could eat, and if their family was too small to manage a whole lamb, they were to share it with their neighbours, Exodus 12:4. I suppose a family could have had someone in it who was a vegetarian/vegan and refused to eat any lamb. We aren't told that; we are just told how to prepare the meat for their meal.

Well exactly.
I can't prove that Jesus definitely ate the Passover lamb - but you can't prove that he didn't.
What I said was that it would have been strange if he hadn't.

Yes, it was about the final plague in Egypt, when the angel of death passed over the homes that had lamb's blood on the doorposts.
But in Exodus 12, they are specifically instructed how to prepare, and eat, the lamb.

Exactly.
They were told to eat meat - not solely plants or fruit.

No, like I just said, there may have been vegetarians/vegans in the households; we are not told.
But the fact that they were told to take, kill and eat a lamb, means that the eating of meat was not forbidden.

I didn't say that - and I certainly didn't say that something that we are not told about Jesus overrides everything we are told.
I said that it would have been strange if he had not celebrated Passover, and not eaten the Passover lamb. If he didn't, it was not important enough for the Gospel writers to record.

To understand as you do, you have to understand things being there that the Bible text does not show. You do that to make a case that Jesus did things so I should not say anything about doing those things. This is you. I am not bringing up what Jesus had or did not have, I say it as it is, you do not have a case. Early believers did not believe he ate meat, apostles stopped having meat, these things are known, and it is known that Jesus did not follow conventions. I would not use what the Bible does not definitely say to tell others what to say or not say, or do or not do.

At the last supper, only bread and wine are mentioned, it is overly conspicuous that nothing else for food was mentioned. Yet Jesus had told his followers, he is the Lamb of God.

In the one verse you have to possibly show, after Jesus died and had risen, it is not definitely shown that he ate fish. He ate it and it was not he ate those things, you do not know that it was not the honeycomb instead.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,196.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To understand as you do, you have to understand things being there that the Bible text does not show. You do that to make a case that Jesus did things so I should not say anything about doing those things.

I'm not "making a case" at all.
I'm saying that as Jesus was brought up, and lived as, as a Jew, it is reasonable to assume that his family, and later he, himself, would have kept the Jewish Passover.
He MAY not have done. If I get to heaven and find out that he didn't; no big deal. But it's not recorded anywhere that he didn't; nor that he said, "I'll pass, I'm vegetarian". It can't be proved from Scripture that Jesus didn't eat meat.

Early believers did not believe he ate meat, apostles stopped having meat,

Maybe - but there's no Scripture to show that or prove it.

these things are known,

So you say; but it can't be proved from Scripture.

At the last supper, only bread and wine are mentioned, it is overly conspicuous that nothing else for food was mentioned.

That doesn't matter - it was a Passover meal. Lamb was eaten at Passover, and Jesus took bread while they were eating. They were clearly eating something.

In the one verse you have to possibly show, after Jesus died and had risen, it is not definitely shown that he ate fish. He ate it and it was not he ate those things, you do not know that it was not the honeycomb instead.

Luke 24:42-43.
He asked if they had any fish and ate IT in their presence.
Are you saying that he asked them for some fish, was given some and then said "nah; I prefer honeycomb"?

Even if the very thin straw that you're grasping at to try to show that Jesus didn't eat meat, turned out to be solid, it doesn't alter the fact that in Exodus 12 the people were told to eat the lamb as their Passover meal. At Sinai, they were also given a list of meats that were clean and they could eat. The Hebrew people in the OT ate meat; it was not forbidden by God.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,178,455.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Early believers did not believe he ate meat, apostles stopped having meat, these things are known
Do you mind providing your source for this claim? If you've already posted, then which post number?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,895.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Do you mind providing your source for this claim? If you've already posted, then which post number?

My question precisely. Not being as familiar (by a very long shot) with the ECF's as yourself, I found this allegation to be highly suspect. I look forward to the response.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,462.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
FredVB said:
To understand as you do, you have to understand things being there that the Bible text does not show. You do that to make a case that Jesus did things so I should not say anything about doing those things. This is you. I am not bringing up what Jesus had or did not have, I say it as it is, you do not have a case. Early believers did not believe he ate meat, apostles stopped having meat, these things are known, and it is known that Jesus did not follow conventions. I would not use what the Bible does not definitely say to tell others what to say or not say, or do or not do.

At the last supper, only bread and wine are mentioned, it is overly conspicuous that nothing else for food was mentioned. Yet Jesus had told his followers, he is the Lamb of God.

Strong in Him said:
I'm not "making a case" at all.
I'm saying that as Jesus was brought up, and lived as, as a Jew, it is reasonable to assume that his family, and later he, himself, would have kept the Jewish Passover.
He MAY not have done. If I get to heaven and find out that he didn't; no big deal. But it's not recorded anywhere that he didn't; nor that he said, "I'll pass, I'm vegetarian". It can't be proved from Scripture that Jesus didn't eat meat.

Maybe - but there's no Scripture to show that or prove it.

So you say; but it can't be proved from Scripture.

That doesn't matter - it was a Passover meal. Lamb was eaten at Passover, and Jesus took bread while they were eating. They were clearly eating something.

It is true that it cannot be proven from scriptures that Jesus did not eat meat, I don't claim otherwise. I respond to that claim that scripture shows Jesus did eat meat, which it does not. It is evasion of the real issues, which I speak of, to start talking about what Jesus did, which is not shown for this anyway. That is a weak argument against giving up animal products because of the issues. What Jesus did is not stated in scripture. That there is statement otherwise I do say, but as it is not scripture you can ask why you should regard it. You might not, but you have no scriptures to override those things. So it is best to leave argument about what Jesus did out of it.

Luke 24:42-43.
He asked if they had any fish and ate IT in their presence.
Are you saying that he asked them for some fish, was given some and then said "nah; I prefer honeycomb"?

Even if the very thin straw that you're grasping at to try to show that Jesus didn't eat meat, turned out to be solid, it doesn't alter the fact that in Exodus 12 the people were told to eat the lamb as their Passover meal. At Sinai, they were also given a list of meats that were clean and they could eat. The Hebrew people in the OT ate meat; it was not forbidden by God.

I am not grasping at anything. But I see claims made that cannot really be supported.

Jesus did not ask if they had any fish. He asked, do you have anything to eat.

prodromos said:

Honeycomb has clearly been edited out of the Bible text in Bible versions, I have seen cases of other such editing. I trust the original writing of scriptures were the truth being shown but modern versions we have do have to be checked against others, if not the published text of the early manuscripts if we can have access to that. It isn't clear to me that things weren't added into scriptures early on, even such things as the word fish.

Jesus is the model for us and never limited compassion. No one is more compassionate than Jesus, not even vegans, so Jesus is more compassionate than they are. Besides, the Bible does not show that animals are simply here for us to eat, as is claimed be many I hear.

There is all this argument for one passage, to ignore other passages mentioned. There is the support of the position with the facts for saying people being plant-based is better, for their health, besides being better for the world with people starving, demand for water and other resources, environments, climate change and global warming, while continued demand for the animal agriculture with its products is not better for anything. God does want what is better, while many of us are still contributing to destructiveness.

Luke 24:41 - But while they still did not believe for joy, and marveled, He said to them, “Have you any food here?”

Luke 24:42 - So they gave Him a piece of a broiled fish and some honeycomb.

Textus Receptus

24:42 οἱ δὲ ἐπέδωκαν αὐτῷ ἰχθύος ὀπτοῦ μέρος καὶ ἀπὸ μελισσίου κηρίου

of

g575

ἀπὸ ἀπό apo

an honeycomb

g3193

μελισσίου μελίσσιος melissios

This is an informative site that shows sources to look further into this.

Evidence That Jesus and The Original Aramaic Christians Were Vegetarians

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,050,196.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I respond to that claim that scripture shows Jesus did eat meat, which it does not.

Except for the piece of fish after the resurrection, yes, that is true.
But it is still a fact that the Hebrew slaves were told to kill, and eat, lamb before they left Egypt; lamb was the main element of the Passover meal. It is also a fact that Jesus was a Jewish boy, who became a Jewish man, and celebrated a final Passover with his disciples. It is not unreasonable to suppose, from all that, that Jesus celebrated Passover and ate at least some of the lamb - i.e he kept the feasts set by God. The fact that it's not recorded that he abstained from lamb at Passover suggests that either it didn't happen - or that the Gospel writers felt it to be completely unimportant.

I am not grasping at anything. But I see claims made that cannot really be supported.

Jesus did not ask if they had any fish. He asked, do you have anything to eat.

That is true as well; I apologise.
But he still ate it; he didn't say "sorry, do you have anything else?" Or "you were with me for 3 years and you don't know that I don't eat meat?"

Even if we said, "oh ok, there is no verse to say that Jesus ate meat, so maybe he didn't", the fact is that Jews were not forbidden from eating meat; only unclean meat. Not only did they eat meat, in fact; they often had to kill the animals and prepare it themselves - as in Exodus 12.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,895.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Except for the piece of fish after the resurrection, yes, that is true.
But it is still a fact that the Hebrew slaves were told to kill, and eat, lamb before they left Egypt; lamb was the main element of the Passover meal. It is also a fact that Jesus was a Jewish boy, who became a Jewish man, and celebrated a final Passover with his disciples. It is not unreasonable to suppose, from all that, that Jesus celebrated Passover and ate at least some of the lamb - i.e he kept the feasts set by God. The fact that it's not recorded that he abstained from lamb at Passover suggests that either it didn't happen - or that the Gospel writers felt it to be completely unimportant.

That is true as well; I apologise.
But he still ate it; he didn't say "sorry, do you have anything else?" Or "you were with me for 3 years and you don't know that I don't eat meat?"

Even if we said, "oh ok, there is no verse to say that Jesus ate meat, so maybe he didn't", the fact is that Jews were not forbidden from eating meat; only unclean meat. Not only did they eat meat, in fact; they often had to kill the animals and prepare it themselves - as in Exodus 12.

Arguments from silence are often quite interesting, to say the least. Such as, "When did you stop beating your wife?" I suppose one could make such an argument from any sort of silence in scripture. A standard example would be the number of heads possessed by John the Baptist. In light of the "fact" that multiple skulls have been authenticated over the centuries as having been those of John the Baptist and the fact that scripture never states how many head John the Baptist actually had, one can cogently argue that he possessed multiple heads. The question arises then as to whether he had them concurrently or successively.

Reactions: Uriah S
Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics