Does God really care what words we use or is it how we use them?

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I mean it does count not only the fact that you use it, but if it's also serving as a stumbling-block for others. We are commanded to both Love God and love others as yourself, so also thinking about if you would be ok if someone calling you the words you called them, is also another way to check your heart. You can't curse man and then love God. So if you know the person is offended by it, or you're in an environment that you know its normally seen as a curse, and you still continue to do it without a heart of repentance, then God wouldn't be pleased.

Again, I agree for those exact reasons when using it as a curse. I also agree with the reasoning of "not being a stumbling block" by using them in even a non-cursing exclamatory way. The words aren't part of my vocabulary.

But, I work with boys and others who use them. There are so many places within the american culture where certain words are considered vulgar. But, there are many others where they aren't and are actually considered normal. My concern is that when we attribute personal cultural preference to God's preference, we can also alienate people and be a stumbling block in that way.
Paul talked about Peter playing the hypocrite, because he would eat with the gentiles unless James and the crew from Jerusalem were around. Peter's normal audience was the Jews. So, when the whole crew was together, he was a stumbling block for the Jewish believers if he didn't separate and a stumbling block for the gentile believers if he did separate. Talk about a rock in a hard place (pun intended).

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is just my humble opinion but I would examine myself as to why we would want to continue to use cuss words or continue to hold them in our hearts. If we continue to hold them in our hearts, they are bound to just pop out every now and then.

Agreed. But, what are we really doing differently when we substitute words that allow us to do the same thing. That was more my point than trying to justify the expletives. I wasn't trying to justify the use of expletives, nor do I make a practice of using them. If I ever have in recent history, it would have been considered out-of-character and would have been completely accidental.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What matters is your heart - your endocrine push when you make a decision.

That is why passive aggressiveness is just as bad as (in my opinion, worse than) actually calling someone a garden tool, female dog or excrement orifice.

This also applies to names, especially Hebrew names. There is no substitute for someone's name, and the correct name of an entity is imperative in identification.

Love the creative re-naming. Funny.

And, I do agree that from God's perspective what matters is our heart behind what we choose to do.

Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When the Lord of All Creation commands, "Woe be upon you!" the forces of woe in the universe stand up.

If I were in the room at that moment Jesus began throwing woe grenades, I'd have scrambled to get behind Him.

Funny; but, I would hope I was already on His permanent eternal team immune to those woe grenades.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,404,292.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Agreed. But, what are we really doing differently when we substitute words that allow us to do the same thing. That was more my point than trying to justify the expletives. I wasn't trying to justify the use of expletives, nor do I make a practice of using them. If I ever have in recent history, it would have been considered out-of-character and would have been completely accidental.
Of course.I understood what you were saying. I was just thinking about submitting our hearts to the washing of water by the word of God. Habits tend to remain with us after our BC days. Like a stream that takes path of least resistance, our souls continue in our not so thoughtful ways even though Lord Jesus abides in our spirits. I remember one day, many years ago I was driving one of the mothers of my church somewhere.Something happened that caused me to blurt out an expletive. Immediately I was contrite before her because I meant no disrespect to her. She graciously forgave me and said "That's ok.It wouldn't have popped out if it wasn't down in there." Talk about embarrassment at her very gentle rebuke!:eek: So my journey to clean up my words began. But there are many things we drag over into our new life in Christ that we need to abandon.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course.I understood what you were saying. I was just thinking about submitting our hearts to the washing of water by the word of God. Habits tend to remain with us after our BC days. Like a stream that takes path of least resistance, our souls continue in our not so thoughtful ways even though Lord Jesus abides in our spirits. I remember one day, many years ago I was driving one of the mothers of my church somewhere.Something happened that caused me to blurt out an expletive. Immediately I was contrite before her because I meant no disrespect to her. She graciously forgave me and said "That's ok.It wouldn't have popped out if it wasn't down in there." Talk about embarrassment at her very gentle rebuke!:eek: So my journey to clean up my words began. But there are many things we drag over into our new life in Christ that we need to abandon.

Yep, I certainly wish that there was an instantaneous hard drive reboot. 37.5 years is a long time to dig holes....

Upvote 0