Does God really care what words we use or is it how we use them?

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Does God really care about our word choice and why, Scripturally, would do you think He does or doesn't? For an example, let me pick a word that is considered a "cuss word" in the united states. I will use it once, so people know what I am talking about. Then use the word using the asterisk system thereafter.

One example might be "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]".

I do believe God cares much more about the way we use the words than the words we use. When someone says "Oh, s***!" when surprised, is that any different from "Oh, crap!" in God's sight? And, if I call someone a "s***head" is that any difference in God's sight from calling them a "craphead"?

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Does God really care about our word choice and why, Scripturally, would do you think He does or doesn't? For an example, let me pick a word that is considered a "cuss word" in the united states. I will use it once, so people know what I am talking about. Then use the word using the asterisk system thereafter.

One example might be "[bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse]".

I do believe God cares much more about the way we use the words than the words we use. When someone says "Oh, s***!" when surprised, is that any different from "Oh, crap!" in God's sight? And, if I call someone a "s***head" is that any difference in God's sight from calling them a "craphead"?

The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks. (Luke 6:45)

So He cares about the heart when you said it, since that would be the source of whatever is coming out of your speech. Plenty of time where people said the right things, but God knew the heart was wicked, people slip up, people may not say the best words at all times, etc... so trying to be the best orator is not the goal. If you feel the words are displeasing to God, just keep your heart in check,and ask for forgiveness and refrain from it if needed.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Does God really care about our word choice and why, Scripturally, would do you think He does or doesn't?
Absolutely.
But how can man know ?
Jesus and the Apostles cursed who Yahweh cursed, and did not pull any punches.
They were like the army corps of engineers (blocking rivers), only blocking condemned men and not rivers. (in english it is CLEANED UP for 'sensitive' viewers - the Bible in the original is vulgar and "not so nice") ...

However, note that they spoke the Word of Yahweh, from Yahweh, as messengers of Yahweh;
not their own condemnation, or their own curses, nor even their own judgments,
but Yahweh's judgment,
as Jesus trained and taught and revealed Yahweh's Way for all disciples in Him.
(not at all like most any training today nor for the last 2000 years, eh?)

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate

Well, the Bible does counsel us to let our speech be seasoned with grace. Further, The Lord Jesus Himself warned us that we'll either be acquitted or condemned by our words. So I guess, using proper words and contextually matters.

Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The good person out of the good treasure of his heart produces good, and the evil person out of his evil treasure produces evil, for out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks. (Luke 6:45)

So He cares about the heart when you said it, since that would be the source of whatever is coming out of your speech. Plenty of time where people said the right things, but God knew the heart was wicked, people slip up, people may not say the best words at all times, etc... so trying to be the best orator is not the goal. If you feel the words are displeasing to God, just keep your heart in check,and ask for forgiveness and refrain from it if needed.

I agree 100% with what you said in this post. Often some are declaring certain words as curse words. My question was more one of "does God see "oh crap" to be any less offensive than "oh s***", or doesn't he care about either of those since they aren't directed toward another; but just emphasis words. But if I call someone a "s***head" or a "craphead", does God see those any differently? I don't think He does.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Johnny4ChristJesus

Site Supporter
Oct 27, 2017
Falcon
✟164,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 12:37King James Version (KJV)
37 For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.
Agreed! But, does that mean if someone says "Oh s***" they are in any less or any more danger than one who says "oh crap".

Does that verse refer to word choice or something far deeper and more meaningful?

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,918.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't know about the word choice in this instance. The Bible says out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks, so it depends on what is in your heart. We see Peter using expletives when he denied Lord Jesus three times, though he repented and his heart broke when he realized what he had done.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
...Does that verse refer to word choice or something far deeper and more meaningful?

Not that verse alone, as if it is isolated..... but all God's Word which includes :

let every word we speak be as a word from Yahweh,
let every action we do be as an action from Yahweh,

all of our lives.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree 100% with what you said in this post. Often some are declaring certain words as curse words. My question was more one of "does God see "oh crap" to be any less offensive than "oh s***", or doesn't he care about either of those since they aren't directed toward another; but just emphasis words. But if I call someone a "s***head" or a "craphead", does God see those any differently? I don't think He does.
Those words are defined culturally. Some words considered swear words here in the US are not in England, and vice versa.

I knew of a Vietnam refugee (grade school boy) who had a given name that was pronounced just like the "F" cuss word for sex.

It had no such meaning in his native language and culture.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,107,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Both words mean the same thing so how could God see them differently, in fact they would mean the same thing as dung, scat, etc. What are we really saying with those words, crap/dung for brains? That they do things that are objectionable to us?
So I think God is looking at our hearts and minds, at what we meant by what we said and our motive for using it. Did we use a word in fun with no intent to harm, 'you're such a ****" :p, or did we use it offensively :mad:?

I think that we can see this in the Bible itself. We can use God's name, Yehovah, but are forbidden to use His name, Yehovah, in vain, in a derogatory way.
Does it change anything when we translate Jesus' words if we use viper or snake? No, it is the context in which He used it that tells us what He was thinking, what He meant when He used the word.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"It's only funny because it's true."

There is a scene in "Bruce Almighty" that made me say, "LOL...oh. Wait."

What if your word produced an immediate effect in the world?

I'll repeat what jeshuaslavejeff just said:

"let every word we speak be as a word from Yahweh"

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,107,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't know about the word choice in this instance. The Bible says out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks, so it depends on what is in your heart. We see Peter using expletives when he denied Lord Jesus three times, though he repented and his heart broke when he realized what he had done.
Did he repent because of using certain words, or did he repent because of what was in his heart/mind when he spoke them?

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,107,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"It's only funny because it's true."

There is a scene in "Bruce Almighty" that made me say, "LOL...oh. Wait."

What if your word produced an immediate effect in the world?

I'll repeat what jeshuaslavejeff just said:

"let every word we speak be as a word from Yahweh"
That is a point. What about when Jesus called the Jewish leaders, vipers and whitewashed tombs?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,473,800.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is a point. What about when Jesus called the Jewish leaders, vipers and whitewashed tombs?

When the Lord of All Creation commands, "Woe be upon you!" the forces of woe in the universe stand up.

If I were in the room at that moment Jesus began throwing woe grenades, I'd have scrambled to get behind Him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ygrene Imref

Feb 21, 2017
New York, NY
✟70,839.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Celibate

What matters is your heart - your endocrine push when you make a decision.

Words travel on the vector of travelling waves that propagate through media. It is energetic. The energy of the waves shape matter - especially saline solutions. The profitable order of the molecules in your body influenced by your words is directly proportional to the positivity of your "heart," or intentions.

If you verbally express hate, for example, the energy of your words incident upon a body could cause molecular and energetic disorder. It doesn't matter what is said; the endocrine push that dictates the true intentions and instinct behind the verbal expression is what physically affects another. That is why passive aggressiveness is just as bad as (in my opinion, worse than) actually calling someone a garden tool, female dog or excrement orifice.

This also applies to names, especially Hebrew names. There is no substitute for someone's name, and the correct name of an entity is imperative in identification.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,107,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That is why passive aggressiveness is just as bad (in my opinion, worse) than actual calling someone a garden tool, female dog or excrement orifice.
I agree.
And passive aggression can be used to gaslight just as words can. It can be used as form of abuse.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,918.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Did he repent because of using certain words, or did he repent because of what was in his heart/mind when he spoke them?
I think he repented of everything he did in that incident, words, attitude, and actions.

• Useful
Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

I mean it does count not only the fact that you use it, but if it's also serving as a stumbling-block for others. We are commanded to both Love God and love others as yourself, so also thinking about if you would be ok if someone calling you the words you called them, is also another way to check your heart. You can't curse man and then love God. So if you know the person is offended by it, or you're in an environment that you know its normally seen as a curse, and you still continue to do it without a heart of repentance, then God wouldn't be pleased.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,402,918.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
This is just my humble opinion but I would examine myself as to why we would want to continue to use cuss words or continue to hold them in our hearts. If we continue to hold them in our hearts, they are bound to just pop out every now and then.

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0