United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
FR. TIM MCCAULEY

This question is of paramount importance because it deeply affects our view of God. Fear of punishment is a serious obstacle for Catholics in developing a close, intimate, secure and trusting relationship with God the Father. The fear of punishment is not usually associated with Jesus or the Holy Spirit, but in our relationship with the Father, and the frequent misconception of Him as a distant, angry and punishing God, looking down upon us with a critical gaze while scrutinizing our every step.

To begin, let us first examine the testimony of Jesus in the Gospels on this whole issue of sin and punishment. Frequently in the New Testament, Jesus warns His listeners of the punishment of hell. For instance, in the Gospel of Matthew, we read that ‘the Son of man will send his angels, and they will gather out of his kingdom all causes of sin and evildoers, and throw them into the furnace of fire, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.’ At first glance, this passage suggests that by Jesus’ direction, evildoers will be thrown into hell.

Continued below.
Does God Punish Us for Our Sins?

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." ~Albert Einstein?

Power doesn't corrupt, it reveals. Anonymity on the internet and being away from physical danger are forms of power. As the internet has consistently proven, if we truly believe we can get away with it, we WILL commit all sorts of evil. Light Yagami in the second episode of Death Note had this to say:[1]

"Although this would probably never happen in school, let's say that students were asked to discuss whether bad people deserve to die. Well, you can bet that everyone will give the politically correct answer. "It's just wrong to kill people." That's what they are bound to say. Of course, that's the correct response to give, right? Humans are always trying to maintain appearances when they're in public. That's just how we are. But this is how they really feel. Most are too afraid to support me as they're worried about what others would think. Many would rather deny my existence. But on the Internet, where you can remain anonymous, support for Kira is growing. Maybe people are afraid to say it out loud, but they all understand what's happening."

Even in real life, we have incentives to do good, such as social connections and jobs. We also have fear of punishment, ranging from losing friends to being put on death row. Because of this reality, I do not believe at all that humans are naturally good. Anyone who argues otherwise, I can only assume they must have grown up inside of a 1950's sitcom.

Evil exists. That is an unfortunate fact of life. What needs to happen to keep evil in check? Discipline, punishment, and in extreme cases, execution. God is loving, merciful, and graceful, but He is also just, righteous, and holy. True love tells the truth, no matter how bad it hurts. Love NEVER enables evil. NEVER confuse true love with love-bombing.[2] The latter may feel better than the former, but in the end, it is simply a manipulation tactic from the enemy.

1. Confrontation/Transcript
  2. Love Bombing: 10 Signs to Know

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,651,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Disciplines I think not punish

Which means guides, teaches. Not a spiritual spanking like some seem to teach

I find the idea that God punishes us very unhelpful so I have thrown that belief out
Hi Junia. Catholics really do not have that luxury.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,651,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those whom I love, I reprove and discipline, so be zealous and repent. (Revelation 3:19)

I do believe that God disciplines us as His children.
He definitely disciplines. The punishment of Hell is also in Catholic belief. Many have discarded it though.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟804,685.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
He definitely disciplines. The punishment of Hell is also in Catholic belief. Many have discarded it though.
That's why I get so upset with my atheists relatives. They say they'll just "cease to exist". They're not preparing to meet the Lord and the judgment that comes with that--including the punishment of hell if that's the case.

• Prayers
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Taodeching

Oct 29, 2020
Southwest
✟60,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

All to their determent. When a parent disciplines it sometimes hurts even though it is for the better.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

narnia59

Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2007
✟330,008.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
CCC1472 To understand this doctrine and practice of the Church, it is necessary to understand that sin has a double consequence. Grave sin deprives us of communion with God and therefore makes us incapable of eternal life, the privation of which is called the "eternal punishment" of sin. On the other hand every sin, even venial, entails an unhealthy attachment to creatures, which must be purified either here on earth, or after death in the state called Purgatory. This purification frees one from what is called the "temporal punishment" of sin. These two punishments must not be conceived of as a kind of vengeance inflicted by God from without, but as following from the very nature of sin. A conversion which proceeds from a fervent charity can attain the complete purification of the sinner in such a way that no punishment would remain.

CCC1473 The forgiveness of sin and restoration of communion with God entail the remission of the eternal punishment of sin, but temporal punishment of sin remains. While patiently bearing sufferings and trials of all kinds and, when the day comes, serenely facing death, the Christian must strive to accept this temporal punishment of sin as a grace. He should strive by works of mercy and charity, as well as by prayer and the various practices of penance, to put off completely the "old man" and to put on the "new man."

As any good parent, God disciplines us to bring us to holiness. That's the whole point. We distort this when we view that discipline as coming from some need God has that must be met. It's about what we need, not what God needs. It's our choice if we fail to submit to that discipline and thereby reject Him and His kingdom for hell.

Upvote 0