Does God protect Christians from dying of COVID-19?

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many videos ask Christians not to fear, God will protect you.
I am asking: Prayer can kill viruses?
God directs our steps. Some he will lead out of the way of being infected. Others possibly not.

Reactions: anx66
Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟883,234.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

We hope and pray, my friend. Christians aren't bullet proof, but God can intervene in any given situation.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟901,890.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God protects Christians from the "second death". We are all in the flesh and death will overcome us one day. This of course can happen in endless ways including Covid-19.

Revelation 20:6
Blessed and holy is the one who shares in the first resurrection! Over such the second death has no power, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and they will reign with him for a thousand years.

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,161.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
We, for the most part, like it here. But we were never meant to be here.

Genesis 3:17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life; 18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field; 19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

23 Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.

Upvote 0

Bdiddie54

Jun 18, 2018
Grand Rapids
✟10,401.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
While I believe he can. That said. Death shouldn't be a bad thing. If we are saved. Death bring us into the new life we are promised. Not saying it can't be scary. But we weren't given a spirit of fear.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Well if you look to man for an answer.. it will be all over the place. Gods word is true for any kind of sickness. So does GOD protect me from dying of COVID-19? Yes.. amen. I know what HE said in HIS word. The same again for ANYTHING that is not of God. I do NOT try to TEST this. Then I would die.

I was promised up to 70+ years. Yet.. what I do, say, hear and eat so forth so on effects this. I can't just eat junk food and say ooh in JESUS name I am healed Isa 53 5 1st Peter 2 24. Now I can be blind and doing these things and will be healed.

Its what HIS WORD says not what I say or anyone else. What does He say? Simply believe He can not lie

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟216,722.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

God is a spirit and he sees you in your spirit too. Like Gideon, he sees you as perfectly healed.

Your job is to renew your mind and see what God sees, instead of just your body.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,419.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would encourage you to read Psalm 91, at this time. God has been giving the Psalm to minister, after minister, as an example a local church last night just put up on their facebook page that God had impressed upon them that the Psalm is for this season. And it is not only pastors who are getting this verse, a lady from our church got it for herself, people on this forum who seek the LORD have got it. When I did my first message on Coronavirus the LORD put it on my mind too.

I believe, it is God’s message to the church. We need to be faithful in seeking the LORD, and stand in faith on His promise to us.

Psa 91:1-16 Live under the protection of God Most High and stay in the shadow of God All-Powerful. Then you will say to the LORD, "You are my fortress, my place of safety; you are my God, and I trust you." The Lord will keep you safe from secret traps and deadly diseases. He will spread his wings over you and keep you secure. His faithfulness is like a shield or a city wall. You won't need to worry about dangers at night or arrows during the day. And you won't fear diseases that strike in the dark or sudden disaster at noon. You will not be harmed, though thousands fall all around you. And with your own eyes you will see the punishment of the wicked. The LORD Most High is your fortress. Run to him for safety, and no terrible disasters will strike you or your home. God will command his angels to protect you wherever you go. They will carry you in their arms, and you won't hurt your feet on the stones. You will overpower the strongest lions and the most deadly snakes. The Lord says, "If you love me and truly know who I am, I will rescue you and keep you safe. When you are in trouble, call out to me. I will answer and be there to protect and honor you. You will live a long life and see my saving power."

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟206,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Prayer is asking, God can always say No. Especially if even though you're a believer, even if you're saved, you're disobedient? Expect scourging and chastisement by the Lord. Temporal punishments to correct your behavior.
Hebrews 12:5-8
It can even be fatal, if the sins of your flesh are to a degree that you have to die to save your soul. 1 Corinthians 5 gives an extreme example of letting Satan destroy someone's flesh in order to save their soul.
But ultimately Romans 8:35-39

But that said, not every person who's infected has a serious problem with sin, God may be testing them as in Job, or using their debilitating sickness and miraculous medically unexplainable recovery for His glory as a blind man that Jesus healed in the gospel of John (John 9:1-3 specifically). God could also be calling someone who's work on earth is done home.
Always remember we're not promised an easy earthly life, in fact quite the opposite, we're promised persecution, trial, and tribulation. We're promised that we will pass from death into life eternal. So even if you get sick.
Even if you're on a ventilator
Even if you could die
Trust in Christ.

Reactions: Littlek
Upvote 0

Daniel Martinovich

Friend
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2011
Southwest USA
Visit site
✟487,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"Prayer" doesn't do anything but perhaps make a person feel better. The God who answers prayer however can and does kill viruses or strengthen a persons immune system against one. But having prayer answered IS ABSOLUTELY CONDITIONAL, not automatic just because you are a real Christian. That is the mistake that many Christians make. They think that they are as good or maybe even a better Christian than the one who gets healed or gets prayers answered for others healing. They may be better Christians too. But they simply don't comprehend the conditions for healing.

As far as specific promises for healing in God's veracious and immutable Word? Contrary to all opinions of men, Christian or not against it. Absolutely.

Matthew 8:16 And evening having come, they brought to Him many being possessed with demons, and He cast out the spirits with a word and He healed all those being sick, 17 so that it might be fulfilled that having been spoken through the prophet Isaiah, saying,
“He Himself took our infirmities,
and bore our diseases.”

Which is a quote of Isaiah 53:
4Surely our diseases he did bear, and our pains he carried;
Whereas we did esteem him stricken,
Smitten of God, and afflicted.
5But he was wounded because of our transgressions,
He was crushed because of our iniquities:
The chastisement of our welfare was upon him,
And with his stripes we were healed.

Whcih of course Peter also quotes: 2:24 "He himself bore our sins" in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; "by his wounds you have been healed."

Psalm 103:
2Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all his benefits—3 who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases,

Exodus 23:25Worship the Lord your God, and his blessing will be on your food and water. I will take away sickness from among you, 26and none will miscarry or be barren in your land. I will give you a full life span.

Jeremiah 33:6 - Behold, I will bring it health and cure, and I will cure them, and will reveal unto them the abundance of peace and truth.

James 5:14 - Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:James 5:15 - And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him.

Psalm 91:
3Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. 4He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.
5You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, 6nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. 7A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you.

Matthew 9:
1And having entered into a boat, He passed over and came to the own city. 2And behold, they were bringing to Him a paralytic lying on a bed. And Jesus, having seen their faith, said to the paralytic, “Take courage, son; your sins have been forgiven.”3And behold, some of the scribes said to themselves, “This one blasphemes!”

4And Jesus, having known their thoughts, said, “Why do you think evil in your hearts? 5For which is easier, to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Arise and walk?’ 6But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins...” Then He says to the paralytic, “Having arisen, take up your mat and go to your house.” 7And having arisen, he went away to his house.

Seem a lot of folks have no problem with God forgiving sins. It's God's will to forgive, Jesus died on the cross for the sins of the world they will say. Seems they have a huge problem with saying its God's will to heal you form sickness, disease, disability. Jesus died of the cross that you might be healed.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
It's God's Wrath for those that say AIDS is gays' punishment, and this time, God's after the elderly, babies, and pregnant women.

Or maybe it's an illness, like a cold, that affects people, like a cold, only potentially kill those with resp or immune problems, and rather than looking at those people with condemnation, should offer to shop for groceries or get medications so they can be safer staying inside - you know, like the parable of the sheep and the goats?

My gramdparents were devout Christians. One died from a farm accident, the other from cancer. There is no magic hand of protection. Protect yourself.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

anx66

Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2016
Haverhill
✟53,564.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
I'm curious though and I ask this of Christians. How do you explain Psalm 91 which says what it does? Doesn't it state, "No evil shall befall you, Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling..." ??

It's an interesting question Bobber. I think this psalm should be taken in the context it was written. It was written by moses for the Israelites in the desert. I don't think it is saying that all people will be delievered from viruses (plagues), but God did say to the Israelites if they would obey the law then he would bless them, which would have included long life, freedom from plagues etc.
My conclusion is that, not everyone is healed ,as can be seen from the life we live today. I'm not saying nobody is healed, but most people are not. As somebody said previously in this thread, we all die of something eventually. Those of us who have been gifted with new life through Jesus, will be saved from plagues, illnesses etc. but not neccessarily in this earthly life. There will come a time when we will be totally free of illness, suffereing, tears etc. when we are living on the "new" earth with God the father and Jesus.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟734,419.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm curious though and I ask this of Christians. How do you explain Psalm 91 which says what it does? Doesn't it state, "No evil shall befall you, Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling..." ??

Psa 91:1 & Psa 91:14 - Happy is he whose resting-place is in the secret of the Lord, and under the shade of the wings of the Most High; .... Because he has given me his love, I will take him out of danger: I will put him in a place of honour, because he has kept my name in his heart.

Note that this verse says that "whose resting-place is in the secret of the Lord", and "Because he has given me his love". These are conditions of God's protection. A Christian who seeks and "knows" God will be more likely to turn to God for help in a time of sickness or disease, for they know Jesus as the healer. They have built intimate relationship with God, as such they know God. A christian who visits God every so often, will not be aware God is a protection to them.

This is not to say God will not give this protection to the church, but the church needs to have their eyes continually on the LORD. If they have their eyes on other things they may not know to pray. Having said all of that there is still no gaurentee for any one. Although I may have, what I believe to be strong faith, if God allows it to humble me, I may still die. But my faith is in His promise of protection and life.

But let me say I believe God is more likely, not less, to have mercy on our weaknesses, and deliver even His distracted flock.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Death entered the world through the sin of the one man. Flesh is mortal and therefore subject to accidents, illness and in the end death.

What Jesus did state is that those who believe in Him though they were to die shall live and never die. That's what God promised.

Upvote 0

Randy777

Oct 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟91,969.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am really freaked out by the virus, I really want God to protect me.
Limit contact with large groups of people. And despite what some say wearing a mask is helpful and wash your hands regularly.

Upvote 0