Does God Love Everyone?

May 27, 2009
✟7,650.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Had a question asked of me the other day, "does God love everyone?" I didn't answer right away because I wanted to look up some of the Scriptures that referred to wrath and God (righteously) hating Esau, vessels made for destruction, etc. What I found was that God has love for his own, but not for all mankind.

Arminianism requires God to love everyone in order to maintain that Christ died for all. And then the tap dancing begins with God "loving Esau less" and wrath retranslated into sadness at placing the unbeliever in hell, or just saying that the unregenerate choose hell for themselves in order to let God (and their theology) off the hook. God created us, therefore God must love us. We are supposed to love everyone, therefore God is supposed to love everyone.

But I just don't see a common love of God for everyone in the Bible. I see a King who is a loving Father for those in His kingdom, but not everyone is in his kingdom. Your thoughts?

I want to try to be sensitive to God's people here, and yet still be true to scriptures. What does the word of God say? On the one hand it teaches that God is "good both to the just and unjust" and "kind even to his enemies." On the other hand we read that "God hates all those who does iniquity" (Psa 5:5), and again..."Jacob I have loved, but Easu I hated."

I believe scripture teaches that God has a general love for all his creation, but has an intimately love for only his elect (believing ones). Of God's non-elect (non believers), it is said..."I will take vengeance on my adversaries and will repay those who hate me" (Deu 32:41). But, of his elect, it is said..."When iniquities prevail against me, you atone for our transgressions. Blessed is the one you choose and bring near, to dwell in your courts! We shall be satisfied with the goodness of your house, the holiness of your temple (Psalms 65:3-4)!

I love the topic of God's love and the doctrine of Particular Redemption (limited atonement), because I believe if it is understood, it will set the believer ablaze with passion, as they will see that God's love for his own is not a general love which states that God loves his own the same as he loves the coming Anti Christ. Rather, they will begin to see God's love as scripture depicts, namely of a kind of mad and passionate love that has specific persons in mind. Again, it is not the kind of love that suggest that a husband should love and care for every woman the same as he would love and care for his wife, but rather a love that is specifically geared for his own wife. And I promise, believer, if you come to see just a glimpse of this truth (providing it being true), you will understand why some men in a time past, would do some so called "radical" things, like selling themselves into slavery that slaves may hear the gospel and believe.

I believe it is those who know well the love of God, who will live the most radically for Christ. This is NOT to say that those who do not agree won't live radical, God-glorifying and Christ exulting lives. Rather, Im simply stating that those who KNOW God's love for them personally and intimately, will be more inclined to "lose their lives for Christ" and live the most radical.

Upvote 0

Vanguard18

Christian Occultist and modern mystic.
Jun 21, 2009
✟7,783.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
i think that perhaps God does love everybody, He did create us, after all.... When a person chooses to become a christian, that is when Christ purchases him with His blood, and i am also one to think that nothing causes the Lord more heartache than to see one of his flock fall to the wolves.....

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
quote=Vanguard18; i think that perhaps God does love everybody, He did create us, after all....
think again:
13: As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
When a person chooses to become a christian, that is when Christ purchases him with His blood,
No it isn't. A person's choice has nothing to do with God's decision to save him.
11: (For the children being not yet born, neither having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works, but of him that calleth;)

Reactions: DD2008
Upvote 0
Jul 1, 2009
✟15,313.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I think there is wisdom in considering this:

1) "God makes it rain on the just and unjust." and when asked "who is my neighbor" it seems clear that the answer is everyone. And Christians are called to respond with love to all, do good to those who despitefully use you. as it is a way to pour heaping coals on their head, as god will avenge, not us.

2) On the other hand, when people come before God, He will say "I never KNEW you, get away from me you evil people." And yet to the believer, "I KNEW you from the womb."

So those who are not elect do experience common grace and do/should receive such blessings from God and the believer while on Earth, but after this life is over, those who do not believe die thinking "God LOVES me!!!" but will instead hear "I never KNEW you."

So does God love them? Well, I say to people, "It does not matter if you believe in God. It matters whether GOD believes in YOU lol

Upvote 0

itisdeliciouscake

Deus est regit qui omnia
Apr 14, 2008
Indiana
✟11,689.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
My personal view is that there is a very different love between the saved and the unsaved.

God loves everyone in the sense that we are all given common grace. We all enjoy the pleasures of God everyday, whether we acknowledge Him or not. Everyday we breathe, eat, sleep, and (most importantly) are not in Hell.... God loves everyone in the sense that we do not immediately sent to Hell when we are born. Every minute on Earth is a gift from God out of love. (and to show His patience)

God's love for the saints/Church, is VERY different. We are loved in a way that is very special. God gave Himself up for us, we are the beloved bride of Christ, vessels of mercy. God's love for us is very set aside and personal, distinct.

Think of it this way. I am a Christian. Christians are supposed to love everybody. (mind you, not LIKE everybody) Therefore, I strive to love everybody. Someday, when I get married, I will most likely tell my wife that I love her. (that would be EXTREMELY odd and horrible if I didn't) When I tell her that I love her, no one is going to say, "See, but he's a CHRISTIAN, he's SUPPOSED to love everybody. That's why he told his wife that he loves her." My love for my wife will be a very different kind of love, very set aside, and very special.

Upvote 0

cygnusx1

Jacob the twister.....
Apr 12, 2004
UK Northampton
Visit site
✟79,726.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I know it sounds like splitting hairs but there seems to be a legitimate case , given every text of scripture it's full weight where we can say ; there is a distinction between the Lord showing love to all mankind , and LOVING all mankind , ie , showing love as in Matthew 5 to mankind indiscriminately does not necessarily mean God loves each and every sinner shown love ....

one may show love to an enemy without having any sympathy , desire , empathy , affection or submissiveness to said enemy .

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums