Does God Love Everyone, "Unconditionally"?

Adstar

May 10, 2005
New South Wales
✟49,258.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
God loves all people.. But an eternal realtionship with God requires two to love.. The individuel must love God.. Otherwise the love of God for them has no eternal benifit..

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
God loves all people.. But an eternal realtionship with God requires two to love.. The individuel must love God.. Otherwise the love of God for them has no eternal benifit..

Thanks; however, that doesn't answer the question posed in the OP.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Can we rightly tell any person: God loves *you* unconditionally?

If Christ lives in us, and we are prepared to unconditionally love the person we are telling with the love of Christ, yes.

1 John 4:19

Reactions: HowRU?
Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
If Christ lives in us, and we are prepared to unconditionally love the person we are telling with the love of Christ, yes.

1 John 4:19

Sounds like some conditions there.

Upvote 0

spockrates

Wonderer
Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
✟17,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We hear it often. Many of us say it often, but is it true?

Can we rightly tell any person: God loves *you* unconditionally?
From what I gather from scripture, there are at least two conditions one must meet to receive eternal life - repentance and faith. Since these conditions are required, I don't see how God's love can logically be said to be unconditional. I suppose one might logically say God's potential love is unconditional but not God's actual love.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SpiritofaDove

Site Supporter
May 14, 2017
USA
✟98,240.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I think it should be more, God's love is unending, not unconditional. You do have to give up your ways and follow God and His Will, commands. There are conditions, but God's love and patience is unending. He's waiting for us.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Does god love unrepentant sinners unconditionally?

Romans 5:8

From that, and what I've seen in my own life, yes. As long as He's able and enough to die for them. It's hard to love someone when their back is turned toward you are they are walking the other direction, but He keeps calling.

I don't think the father in the story of the Prodigal Son ever stopped loving the son while he was gone. The son's behavior limited the father's ability to express that love while he was away, and had it's own consequences. The father I think was prepared to mourn for the son, and was mourning for him, but he never disowned him.

Luke 15:11-32

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married

From that, and what I've seen in my own life, yes. As long as He's able and enough to die for them. It's hard to love someone when their back is turned toward you are they are walking the other direction, but He keeps calling.

I don't think the father in the story of the Prodigal Son ever stopped loving the son while he was gone. The son's behavior limited the father's ability to express that love while he was away, and had it's own consequences. The father I think was prepared to mourn for the son, and was mourning for him, but he never disowned him.

May I ask, why would they desire to change anything they are doing if God loves them unconditionally already?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

spockrates

Wonderer
Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
✟17,832.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Do you think, perhaps, some loving acts of God are unconditional and others conditional. For example, the passage you quoted might be understood an act of unconditional love:

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his own love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Yet the same author said this:

Acts 20:21 "I have declared to both Jews and Greeks that they must turn to God in repentance and have faith in our Lord Jesus."
If we don't have to meet the conditions of repenting and having faith in Christ to receive the result of Christ's sacrifice, then why did Paul use the word must?

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟289,335.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
If we don't have to meet the conditions of repenting and having faith in Christ to receive the result of Christ's sacrifice, then why did Paul use the word must?

I do think we have to meet the conditions of repenting and having faith in Christ. In physical terms, the same way that a man who is cold and lost and in the dark needs to move towards a fire. It's a source of light and heat. If he faces towards it and moves towards it, he'll will get warmer and there will be more light. His shadow will be behind him. No matter how far away he is from the fire, there will still be some heat and light, the Fire is unconditional. The man did not and could not light it. But if he faces away and moves away from the fire, there will be soon be very little light and heat indeed. And nothing in front of him but his own shadow.

In spiritual terms, God is the author of things like light, love, sanity, holiness, forgiveness, life and all the fruits of the spirit.

Galatians 5:22-23

It's not a good idea to move away from those things. But the invitation and way has been made to all to turn, come forward and be a part of them.

John 3:19-21

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I do think we have to meet the conditions of repenting and having faith in Christ. In physical terms, the same way that a man who is cold and lost and in the dark needs to move towards a fire. It's a source of light and heat. If he faces towards it and moves towards it, he'll will get warmer and there will be more light. His shadow will be behind him. No matter how far away he is from the fire, there will still be some heat and light, the Fire is unconditional. The man did not and could not light it. But if he faces away and moves away from the fire, there will be soon be very little light and heat indeed. And nothing in front of him but his own shadow.

In spiritual terms, God is the author of things like light, love, sanity, holiness, forgiveness, life and all the fruits of the spirit.

Galatians 5:22-23

It's not a good idea to move away from those things. But the invitation and way has been made to all to turn, come forward and be a part of them.

John 3:19-21
That would make God's love impersonal. In other words, He wants to love someone, but cannot unless they love Him first.

Upvote 0

jimmyjimmy

Pardoned Rebel
Site Supporter
Jan 2, 2015
USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status