AnticipateHisComing

Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many like to ponder God's love and it is great. But, does it extend to angels? Two texts prompt this question.

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.​

Hebrews 2:5 It is not to angels that he has subjected the world to come, about which we are speaking. 16 For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham’s descendants.

According to John 15, dying for another is the greatest expression of love. Hebrews teaches that Jesus did not die for angels and they will not be redeemed. I infer from this that God does not have the same love for angels as he does for men. While they may have great power, they are still servants of God and man. We have inherited the rights of sons of God.

Romans 8:15 The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, Abba, Father.”​

Galatians 4:6 Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, Abba, Father.”

I wonder, must one have a soul to receive the loving gift of God's Spirit living in them? Genesis 1:27 says men were created in the image of God. I read this to not be a physical image but a spiritual image, that man has a soul that can contain God's Spirit.

While I am at it, I might as well also ask do angels have souls? I think not, or at least not like we have.

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Many like to ponder God's love and it is great. But, does it extend to angels? Two texts prompt this question.

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.​

Hebrews 2:5 It is not to angels that he has subjected the world to come, about which we are speaking. 16 For surely it is not angels he helps, but Abraham’s descendants.

According to John 15, dying for another is the greatest expression of love. Hebrews teaches that Jesus did not die for angels and they will not be redeemed. I infer from this that God does not have the same love for angels as he does for men. While they may have great power, they are still servants of God and man. We have inherited the rights of sons of God.

Romans 8:15 The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, Abba, Father.”​

Galatians 4:6 Because you are his sons, God sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, the Spirit who calls out, Abba, Father.”

I wonder, must one have a soul to receive the loving gift of God's Spirit living in them? Genesis 1:27 says men were created in the image of God. I read this to not be a physical image but a spiritual image, that man has a soul that can contain God's Spirit.

While I am at it, I might as well also ask do angels have souls? I think not, or at least not like we have.
The Lord's Prayer says, "Thy will be done as it is in Heaven." This means that if 1 Corinthians 13 contains the attributes of love, and that the fruit of the Spirit (Christ's character) includes love, then it can be safely assumed that the founding principle that governs every being in Heaven, including the angels, is love. The Scripture says that the person who does not love does not know God because God is love. Therefore, if the whole character and nature of God is love, then He could do no other than to love every being in Heaven and in earth.

Reactions: Jess Lee
Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Myth only points, Truth happened!
Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Angels are spirits. Some experts call 'intelligences' because their mode of knowing. They know instantly and fully what they see. They know the essence of a thing rather than like us who see the substance of a thing. Our knowing is a process. Theirs is instantly. When Jesus say's I am in the Father and the Father in me and again When Jesus speaks of being ;in' us and 'in' Him...This is not something angels can do. There is no 'in' an Angel. This is because God has an internal conversation . Father Son Holy Spirit. Their is an 'in' for God. We have an internal conversation, Body soul spirit Mind Body Conscience. That makes us able to be closer to God even though angels look more like God. When it comes to Love, there are angels that burn with love for God continually in prayer and adoration and Angels being pure intellect like God is pure intellect have powerfull capacity for returning God's love. they are not souls Souls require a material extension to operate the powers. Angels operate without material extension( fancy term for a body)

But there is no 'in' an angel so God can't dwell in an angel like He can us...

Angels are creatures of governance. They function as powers that watch over cities or nations. I don't know how this works but the power of nature..like the power of fertility of flowers or wheat fields...these kinds of earthly processes the angels were made to govern. When Satan and the third of the angels abandoned their place God created them for, these are the thrones that humans will occupy. How the gears and levers work I don't know. Hope that helped Your brother in Christ

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Angels are eternal creatures. they know the essence of things. That is instant and full. So when God created them they instantly saw God and God was revealed to them fully. Their mode of knowing isn't a process so they have one decision as it relates to God and the good and there is nothing that can change their mind once it's made. They saw God fully, They knew God's grace for them. God's love for them. they understood the consequence of their decision fully. What God created them for, they had all they needed to love God back. Once thei object of their will is chosen it is fixed They will have completed their act of will and their act of self determination is final. That's just their nature. Eternity is first a state of changelessness and consequently there is no end in time. Eternity is outside of time and space. So that's why Jesus didn't die for them. They are eternal creatures

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So that's why Jesus didn't die for them. They are eternal creatures

No, he didn't die for them because the rebel angels will not be forgiven, and the rest will not rebel or sin.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, he didn't die for them because the rebel angels will not be forgiven, and the rest will not rebel or sin.

and they won't be forgiven because their sin is final. Because they are eternal. Same with the
Holy Angels. When we die the same thing happens. That's why there is no sin in heaven, It is in eternity

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
That's why there is no sin in heaven, It is in eternity

Much sin has happened and will happen in heaven. In the eternity there will be no sin.

Upvote 0

Eloy Craft

Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Lord's Prayer says, "Thy will be done as it is in Heaven." This means that if 1 Corinthians 13 contains the attributes of love, and that the fruit of the Spirit (Christ's character) includes love, then it can be safely assumed that the founding principle that governs every being in Heaven, including the angels, is love. The Scripture says that the person who does not love does not know God because God is love. Therefore, if the whole character and nature of God is love, then He could do no other than to love every being in Heaven and in earth.
You say very inspiring things, Thank you
I think if we could see how the angels serve God and creation we could see how everthing is united in love. The river flows in loving union with the trees and grass. all of creation holds to the other in the bonds of love. This is how I think Adam and Eve experienced. That harmony with the animals and plants and humans all living intimately bound by love. Everything loves the other things more than they love themselves.And I think God's love in the natural realm like that is His love communicated to us by the love recieved from angels

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Eloy Craft

Supporter
Jan 9, 2018
Chandler
✟386,808.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Much sin has happened and will happen in heaven. In the eternity there will be no sin.
It happened in heaven , but more? The fallen angels were cast down to earth? How can we pray...thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven? How can Jesus teach that if not true?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟915,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It happened in heaven , but more? The fallen angels were cast down to earth? How can we pray...thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven? How can Jesus teach that if not true?

I believe the war in heaven in Rev 12 is still future.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate

I would like to have a definition for the word "angel."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AnticipateHisComing

Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe the war in heaven in Rev 12 is still future.
Even if you are so inclined to read the chapter literally and consecutively, the time of Jesus' birth and those that hold fast to his teachings has been 2000 years ago.

17 Then the dragon was enraged at the woman and went off to wage war against the rest of her offspring—those who keep God’s commands and hold fast their testimony about Jesus.

• Agree
Reactions: Eloy Craft
Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
It is in the Bible.
Then I will have to use my own definition of angel and state that the Lord very much loves angels. It would seem absurd to believe that he doesn't.

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Lord's Prayer says, "Thy will be done as it is in Heaven." This means that if 1 Corinthians 13 contains the attributes of love, and that the fruit of the Spirit (Christ's character) includes love,
This thread is not about the greatness of love in people as 1 Corinthians describes. It wishes to ponder differences between God's love for angels vs. people.
I infer from this that God does not have the same love for angels as he does for men.

then it can be safely assumed that the founding principle that governs every being in Heaven, including the angels, is love.
My answer from the God is in three words thread; Just True Love. Love is a part of God but to safely assume that love is the founding principle that governs his relationship with angels is presumptuous. Angels are God's servants. Jesus is the commander of the army of them. Scripture says we are made in the likeness of God and have inherited the right to be called sons of God.
The Scripture says that the person who does not love does not know God because God is love.
As you state, scripture discusses "persons".
Therefore, if the whole character and nature of God is love, then He could do no other than to love every being in Heaven and in earth.
You are so wrong with the whole character and nature of God is love. There are other parts of God including being just, true, holy, eternal, ...

Do you think God loves Satan and his demons?

Upvote 0

AnticipateHisComing

Supporter
Dec 21, 2013
✟103,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Therefore, if the whole character and nature of God is love, then He could do no other than to love every being in Heaven and in earth.
John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.​

Many go overboard with reading John 3:16 because they don't have John 3:17 also memorized. God loves the world it says. The world/creation contains rocks, plants, animals, people and even angels. Some of those people believe in Jesus, some do not. Now in the context of John's text I think it should be understood the text is specific about a part of the world, not everything in it. God does not love rocks and sent his Son to die for them. They do not believe in Jesus either. Same with plants and animals.

In the two verses world is used three times. It would be deceptive for world to mean one thing in one verse and the very next verse for world to mean something else. So if you insist that God loves everything he created, the world, then consistent reading of world means God saves everything. BTW, since we know there will be a judgement day and some will be condemned, world is not everything or everyone in this context.

Lastly, Jesus spoke of the Father's concern for beings on earth. He compared the care God has for sparrows with those that acknowledge Jesus.

Matthew 10: 29 Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. 30 And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows. 32 “Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. 33 But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.
The point of my thread was not to argue that God has no care for his angel servants, only for us to ponder how much greater love he has for us that he gave us the right to call him Abba Father. To all that endlessly argue about the name of God, Abba Father is much higher than Yahweh. Abba Father is what Jesus taught us. It is a name with an associated right.

Upvote 0