East Ohio
✟7,957.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Curious on what your take is on the nature of God.

If God is without sin, is this a conscious choice he makes, or does his very nature define his parameters of what he can and can't do?

For example, if God makes a promise to man (like he did with Noah), is he incapable of breaking that promise, or does he choose not to break it?

Since he is the creator, and all things are of him, should he break his promise, would such an act, by default, be a sanctified act and ergo, not a sin?

daniel777

Feb 13, 2007
America
✟12,839.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If God is without sin, is this a conscious choice he makes, or does his very nature define his parameters of what he can and can't do?
I think it's both, but I hold to that pretty loosely.

Since he is the creator, and all things are of him, should he break his promise, would such an act, by default, be a sanctified act and ergo, not a sin?
Go a bit further with it. If God chooses to be other than he is in the sense that he isn't who he was, which one is God?

Upvote 0

seeingeyes

Nov 29, 2011
Backwoods, Ohio
✟27,860.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

For example, if God makes a promise to man (like he did with Noah), is he incapable of breaking that promise, or does he choose not to break it?
God is free. He is only "incapable" of breaking promises in the sense that an honest man is "incapable" of breaking promises. He is not bound, He is trustworthy.
I'm not keen on the "do as I say not as I do" view of God.

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think it's both, but I hold to that pretty loosely.

Go a bit further with it. If God chooses to be other than he is in the sense that he isn't who he was, which one is God?

I'm going with daniel on this one. God can do whatever he wants to do, but he will not do what contradicts His nature. He cannot do anything that would make Him less than Himself or other than Himself, but this "restriction" is because He is so perfect that He doesn't have to change to begin with.

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2012
✟10,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I would like to propose that God does not have "Free Will" and neither do we.

We are limited by our nature. I would like to also propose that because we are, we only have what we would call " Free agency". We act in accordance with our nature.

So, before Christ what is our nature like?

And after?

Why?

Upvote 0

Harry3142

Apr 9, 2006
Ohio
✟20,229.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God does not have a dual nature. He is the epitome of righteousness, and as such not only cannot sin, but also cannot be tempted to sin. That is man's own weakness, and it is as a result of our dual nature that we find ourselves tempted, rather than its being from God:

When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. (James 1:13-15,NIV)

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2012
✟10,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God does not have a dual nature. He is the epitome of righteousness, and as such not only cannot sin, but also cannot be tempted to sin. That is man's own weakness, and it is as a result of our dual nature that we find ourselves tempted, rather than its being from God:

When tempted, no one should say, "God is tempting me." For God cannot be tempted by evil, nor does he tempt anyone; but each one is tempted when, by his own evil desire, he is dragged away and enticed. Then, after desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, gives birth to death. (James 1:13-15,NIV)

Please use the quote feature so we can know who the question or reply is directed.

As for a dual nature, no one implied there was a dual nature with God. Only that our nature determines our choice.

We are all limited, even God.

? Our nature before Christ was what?

After?

What brought about the change?

If left in our former state, what would have been the natural outcome of our choices?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
N

NannaNae

really interesting question.

my guess is it depends on what the conditions were or if there are conditions on any promises made . maybe there could be higher laws which would over ride any conditions or any promises .
I guess.

so your question has a built in accusation.. so this will be my last answer.. just in case you really trying to learn something new or see another side of God..

I think if he really broke his promise or the real laws set in motion from the beginning .. and if he became unlawful all creation would collapse. no morality about it.. no one could accuse him.
but when life becomes unlawful it dies or completely decays and really just becomes some version of atomic when it becomes disconnected and random .
so at that point God becomes unlawful when you and or I and all creation , become an atom bomb you won't care if it is moral. no one and nothing would be to blame him.
With people what they are I certainly wouldn't blame him if he did such a thing! I feel he has every right . but I don't think he can get unlawful really.
I think man had to create that space to go be unlawful in . because man couldn't do it in God's space. and everything created was God's space and held together by him . so I don't think he could or would let go of every thing he could only let go of man. because he gave man free moral sovereignty.

I believe he has always had the choice to become unlawful. but maybe not .. maybe it is not in his nature..
I think he loves life to much to get " giggy with it " and ACT OUT!

people who are unlawful really don't seem to have long term relationships. they are too self involved.

and I suspect he likes long term relationships.

I mean just look at how much he loved even the fallen but repentant.. David and Everything he did to protect David and Job and Abraham. because he loved them. I really suspect he is all about us and he is looking for those who are all about him. it isn't that what makes great relationships?
I am pretty sure IF he could become unlawful , as if we can really understand the oldest laws.. there would be no moral issue to it.. but we wouldn't know it if he did decide to "act up "or we would never feel it either , it would happen so fast. all creation would collapse in one big bang!

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
nothing can stop God from doing what He chooses to do, this is ultimate freedom, no force can stop Him

God is all knowing
God is all powerful
God is all good

humans are conflicted, we do not have perfect understanding and we know this, we do not have perfect power and we know this, so we have to "decide" what to do, measure the pros can cons

God does not really have to do this, He knows everything, and He is good, so He acts in accordance with His nature, which is Goodness

I do not think God created morality, any more then He created Himself, He has just always been.... what is "good" is what is like God
so God could not have decided that murder and lying and torture were "good" because that is not like Him

Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
nothing can stop God from doing what He chooses to do, this is ultimate freedom, no force can stop Him

God is all knowing
God is all powerful
God is all good

humans are conflicted, we do not have perfect understanding and we know this, we do not have perfect power and we know this, so we have to "decide" what to do, measure the pros can cons

God does not really have to do this, He knows everything, and He is good, so He acts in accordance with His nature, which is Goodness

I do not think God created morality, any more then He created Himself, He has just always been.... what is "good" is what is like God
so God could not have decided that murder and lying and torture were "good" because that is not like Him

Exactly, people try to funnel God in with their idea of justice and their idea of love. To think you know better than God is practically a sin unto itself. They nit pick verses to justify their self-righteous attitude towards God trying to use His own Word against Him.

God is always Just.
God is always Love.
God is always Truth.
God is always Right.

To think otherwise adds to the persons self deluded error. Their pride blinds them.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I've said this before and it will be repeated often: Some 'qualities' simply do not apply to God.

"Good" and "bad" or "evil", for that matter, "good" or "poor" (work) are all factors which are measured against a standard. In much of current human culture, our standard is the 'norm' - usually considered as more or less the 'average' in the field.

As example of this: A 'tall' hockey player is usually shorter than a 'short' basketball player. A 'poor' American is usually more wealthy than a 'rich' Somalian. A 'bad' day fishing is better than a 'good' day working.

However, when speaking of God, what is the standard? God IS the standard. Essentially, the question "Is God really 'good'?" translates to "Is God as good as God?" which is a logically pointless question.

God has an eternal - or all of time, for Earth - plan. He sees all time as 'right now' and in the language of humanity, is '... always ahead of the game". So 'free will' is rather meaningless. No one nor no thing can 'force' God to change His mind or alter His decision. But since His will is linked with the eternal standard - Himself - that would imply He does not have 'free will'. Certainly, God does not have 'free will' as do humans; He cannot defy Himself.

Like I said, the term just doesn't apply.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Jul 27, 2012
✟10,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Can anyone choose to do something that on every level and for every reason they do not want to do? I doubt it, but it's a pointless question. God always wants to do what is good.

I agree, that is His nature, is it not?

And ours, apart from Him, is what?

How does this change?

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God can do whatever he wants to do, but he will not do what contradicts His nature.

A very good statement of orthodox theology on this point. :thumbsup:

God's free will is reflected in the fact that He chose to create the world. And he chose to create horses, but not unicorns.

But God cannot act against His nature. To quote one junior catechism, "God can do all His holy will."

Last edited:
Upvote 0