Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'm not saying God is into crude jokes or humor or talk of any sort. That has not been my experience with him. What I am saying is hes not just this ultraconservative strict humorless being. He has a better sense of humor than any of us could have. We as flawed beings tend to sometimes find things funny that really aren't based off of our emotional state and the sort. God doesn't have that problem he definitely does have the perfect sense of humor.
Who says that ultraconservatives are humorless beings?

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Humor is based in irony and being able to place some distance between ourselves and our imperfections. Humor helps us live with ourselves and with our all-too-human fellow humans on the journey, and allows us to experience a certain amount of elation and jopy and inner peace, in spite of ourselves and the human condition. Laughter allows us to transcend the human condition for a time, and recognize that there is something more to our lives than our foibles.

God, who art in heaven, has an infinite sense of joy, and elation, and peace.
I am not really sure what a sense of humor would serve God.

A sense of humor in heaven is like sex in heaven. When we are already in conjoined in perfect union and harmony in Christ, sex itself becomes redundant and obsolete. Humor likewise would be obsolete in a state of perfection.

Addendum.
I should give Andrew Klavan some credit for this post btw. I was half listening to his show and I heard him say something similar.

Upvote 0

Paul of Eugene OR

Finally Old Enough
Site Supporter
May 3, 2014
✟256,002.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I mean with all the horrible things that go on in the world and how sinful people are, it's hard to see God as having a sense of humor. And most things that qualify for humor nowadays are (in hindsight) not really something to be laughed at yet we laugh anyway. But there is some good, clean humor and I imagine that nothing good exists in this world without having its ultimate source in God. Nowhere in the Bible does is even mention humor. So I wonder if humor is ultimately a human thing or if God could find things funny as well.

Humor is a very useful survival technique among us humans. God made us that way. So even if God does not, in his omnipotence, omniscience, and omnipresence feel like chuckling over anything, he has humor through us, the ones He made to have humor.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
This is a little confusing. In another verse it says that God takes no pleasure in the death of wicked people.

I am not at all disagreeing with this. I just get confused with the Bible, that's all.

I know better than to impose my idea of righteousness on the Bible Or on scripture. I am just confused is all.

Read Psalms 37 and you will see that God sides with those who trust Him. This psalm is my favorite.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I'd like to see more jokes in the Bible then. Or did they completely go over our head?

I guess they did... You asked about sarcasm earlier.

"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

"Why do you look at the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye?"

“Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which indeed appear beautiful outwardly, but inside are full of dead men’s bones and all uncleanness."

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
"It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”
I thought God or the writer Holy Spirit inspired writer was being serious.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Half-ready for Anything.....
Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I mean with all the horrible things that go on in the world and how sinful people are, it's hard to see God as having a sense of humor. And most things that qualify for humor nowadays are (in hindsight) not really something to be laughed at yet we laugh anyway. But there is some good, clean humor and I imagine that nothing good exists in this world without having its ultimate source in God. Nowhere in the Bible does is even mention humor. So I wonder if humor is ultimately a human thing or if God could find things funny as well.
Look at Psalm 2:4 which states that the Lord laughs, psalm 37:13 says the Lord laughs at the wicked, I dont know if its humor, but He is laughing at somebody!

Upvote 0

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Look at Psalm 2:4 which states that the Lord laughs, psalm 37:13 says the Lord laughs at the wicked, I dont know if its humor, but He is laughing at somebody!

Very informative

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Jesus was not talking to Himself when He was hanging on the cross. There is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Jesus is not the Father. He is the Son who will be King when He returns.

Upvote 0

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Jesus was not talking to Himself when He was hanging on the cross. There is the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Jesus is not the Father. He is the Son who will be King when He returns.

Yes he will

I just hope that I'm ready when he comes back. I don't want to perish like the wicked. And I don't want to be laughed at by God like the wicked.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
No, I dont either! We will be ready, and Jesus has prepared us for when it will be approximately. Certain things must happen to fulfill the prophesy and we are not yet there, but we are pretty close. There are like 5 more big events to come before the entire world will witness His glorious return. Understand, the first second coming will be an imposter. It will NOT be Jesus, but he will trick many.

Upvote 0

Jaxxi

Jul 29, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
✟50,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes he will

I just hope that I'm ready when he comes back. I don't want to perish like the wicked. And I don't want to be laughed at by God like the wicked.
I replied to you without quoting...sorry

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I replied to you without quoting...sorry

It's okay. I got the message

Thank you very much for your encouragement.

Also that was very informative. I didn't know that there was going to be an imposter.

Upvote 0

IAMABELIEVER1979

Aug 21, 2016
Washington
✟61,581.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think He does.
“Can the Ethiopian change his skin or the leopard his spots? Then also you can do good who are accustomed to do evil.”
‭‭Jeremiah‬ ‭13:23‬

Good verse

I know you didn't quote this for me personally, but thank you for quoting this verse.

• Friendly
Reactions: LinaBellus
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟831,404.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Psalm 2:4

He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.
That's not using a sense of humour. God is ridiculing the arrogance of His enemies.

Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

nathaneal

Sep 26, 2016
London
✟1,138.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there,

I believe that god has a sense of humour, because I have a sense of humour. Probly sounds ridiculous, sorry.
But are we not made in Gods image?

It is believed that Jesus shared the same emotions as man, isn't laughing an emotional response to someone who is experiencing Joy. What is Joy?
It's seeing every situation as an opportunity for joy and happiness.

What is the fruit of the spirit? The Fruit of the Holy Spirit is a biblical term that sums up nine attributes of a Christian according to Paul the Apostle in his Letter to the Galatians: "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance (patience), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control." Galatians 5:22-23.

God sees those who are also suffering and he suffers, psalms 8:16.
It might be worth reading
Romans 8:13-16 reflect and pray see what you think.

Hope this helps with your exploration, i pray that it does and if it doesn't that god may guide you to what it is you want to know.

Peace,
Nathaneal.

Upvote 0