Slovakia
✟24,316.00
Country
Slovakia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I met with an idea that the status "a spinster" or "a bachelor" does not exist, i mean like in Gods eyes. That one can be only married or the consecrated person. People who standed for this opinion were spiritual autorities in my parish, they studied theology and nobody would doubt their opinions. Me neither, but this idea is something I can't take.

Lately I've met one of them and while talking about me still being single he said that God dislikes spinsters. That even pope Francis said that. I'm not really well-informed about the pope's homilies and encyclicals, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

I know that people are originaly ment to be married or consecrated, but recently I see huge amount of articles about longterm singleness or voluntary celibacy where people decide to serve God as a single one in a charity or just in everyday life. Or even if they do not decide for it themselves but end up being longterm single, they decide to use this time of singleness (or spinster-ness) to build relationship with God, to serve Him and people around them. I don't get why would God dislike them. I get it if the person choose this lifestyle for selfish reasons. But in cases which I mentioned before I do not get it.

Have you heard about this idea? Do you have any experienced with it? What is your opinion?

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I agree with you Sylvia May .... God likes/loves everyone. I'd also argue that every single that is living their life for God are consecrated/set apart/holy to God. I think your theologians are creating some man made criteria to bring condemnation on to certain singles. But the Bible says in Rom.8:1 there is no condemnation.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,241,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
I met with an idea that the status "a spinster" or "a bachelor" does not exist, i mean like in Gods eyes. That one can be only married or the consecrated person. People who standed for this opinion were spiritual autorities in my parish, they studied theology and nobody would doubt their opinions. Me neither, but this idea is something I can't take.

Lately I've met one of them and while talking about me still being single he said that God dislikes spinsters. That even pope Francis said that. I'm not really well-informed about the pope's homilies and encyclicals, but it just doesn't make sense to me.

I know that people are originaly ment to be married or consecrated, but recently I see huge amount of articles about longterm singleness or voluntary celibacy where people decide to serve God as a single one in a charity or just in everyday life. Or even if they do not decide for it themselves but end up being longterm single, they decide to use this time of singleness (or spinster-ness) to build relationship with God, to serve Him and people around them. I don't get why would God dislike them. I get it if the person choose this lifestyle for selfish reasons. But in cases which I mentioned before I do not get it.

Have you heard about this idea? Do you have any experienced with it? What is your opinion?
I find it surprising that they would think this. How would they explain priests and nuns?

Upvote 0

SilvaMay

Self-doubting mess
Aug 15, 2016
Slovakia
✟24,316.00
Country
Slovakia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you guys for your answers. I aprecciate it a lot. I feel much better about my not agreeing with their idea.
I find it surprising that they would think this. How would they explain priests and nuns?
When I wrote "consecrated people" I ment priests and nuns. I'm not native English so this was probably a misunderstanding, sorry. They placed them to the same level as married people. They had problem only with spinsters and bachelors.

Reactions: Rajni
Upvote 0

StillGods

Aug 9, 2017
North Island
✟292,569.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If they have a problem with spinsters/bachelors then sadly it seems they do not understand Gods heart for His people (all His people). Jesus was single, Paul was single, and others in the Bible were, they obviously were dearly loved by God.
Being a nun or priest is the same as being a spinster or bachelor in my opinion. A person can commit themselves to Gods work in many ways and vocations they certainly don't have to be a priest or nun to do that!
If the church you are in looks down on spinster and bachelors as less than in Gods eyes than married or priests and nuns then it might be time to leave and look for another church because that is certainly not the way God sees it.... thankfully :)

Upvote 0

Joni Steele

Oct 30, 2020
Western Indiana
✟18,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums