Does God care which team wins in sports?

Moonshiner

Me & amp; amp; amp; amp; a
May 10, 2012
✟15,220.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUsyxQZRcAI&feature=youtu.be

I just watched the video above where a Pastor claims God told him this boxer would win. The Pastor also claims a fist from heaven would come down and beat the other boxer.

I just wanted to know whether God is really concerned about such things?What would happen if both fighters believe in God and also say there are 2 teams who both have Christian players and fans how does God determine who would win?

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
You don't get to stalk me. :|
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I will say this much and let you decide.

Cowboys - Bad

Texans - Good

Cowboys - BOOOOOOO!!! :sput:

Texans - YAAAAAAAAAAY!!! :cheer:

As for individual fighters, the bible has examples of Gods favoring one side or the other, I believe David and Goliath is probably the most famous.

The stakes are simply much smaller in a sports setting, so while his favor may not be as obvious, it is likely still there for different reasons.

I don't believe he cares for the sport it self, but he cares because we care and nothing more (much like if you had a child that loved chemistry, you maybe personally cant stand it, but you would listen to your child ramble on about it simply cause the light and "magic" and excitement in them over it) . That doesnt mean that a Tim Tebow is necessarily going to light up the super bowl.

There are WAY to many factors involved as there are with ANY prayer to say He does or doesnt care simply due to unanswered prayer outcomes. (Fans on both sides pray, remember, not just one side)

If a devoted Christian boxer lets say loses, it MAY be he lost to teach him something to make him a better boxer, to reach what it is he prayed for, he could get upset and say "you didnt give me what I asked for on my time" or he could accept it, learn from it and accept that prayers on answered in His time, not ours, whether we like it or not (usually its "not" cause His time means we wait.)

Reactions: PinkSweetart
Upvote 0

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well there was that one time in Cana when Jesus went to a boxing match... no wait. I'm wrong. That was a wedding.

God has bigger concerns than who wins some silly game.

But he is God, no concern is to small or to big.

IF there were "to trivial a matter" then he would say "only come to me when you have MAJOR issues, don't waste my time on your small sniveling little problems you ants"

He cares, about the things we care about, no mater how trivial.

Oh an :sput: for implying that football is "silly" :destroy:^_^

Upvote 0

7angels

Dec 8, 2011
✟10,049.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
first off we need to understand that nothing is oo big or too small for God. God loves us just the way we are with all our little quirks.

now we come to the second part. scripture tells us that when our heart and mind are following God that nothing is impoossible to us. there is a true story about a college football team that turned their hearts to God and ended up winning the championship. i cannot remember the title of the movie at this time.

this pastor is speaking from the flesh and not according to God's will because God is not a God who does things that we can do ourselves. God gives us strength, and when we do as much as we can on our end is when God steps in and finishes it for us. people expect everything from God but are willing to do very little in return. this attitude is unscriptural. if we are willing to give our all then God will pick up where we start to fall short.

God bless

Upvote 0

Blank123

Legend
Dec 6, 2003
✟56,875.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
But he is God, no concern is to small or to big.

IF there were "to trivial a matter" then he would say "only come to me when you have MAJOR issues, don't waste my time on your small sniveling little problems you ants"

He cares, about the things we care about, no mater how trivial.

Oh an :sput: for implying that football is "silly" :destroy:^_^
You know what? I was wrong. God does care about sports. Or at least one: hockey.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Toro

Oh, Hello!
Jan 27, 2012
✟338,520.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You know what? I was wrong. God does care about sports. Or at least one: hockey.

:sput:

h4E7AFBF2

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Preachers are performers. That preacher is telling a story to entertain his audience and show that not only is the preacher special because God revealed this to them but also that God cares about the seemingly insignificant. Your post does bring out the host of logical problems the idea that God takes sides in sporting events. It reminds me of the Steelers/Broncos playoff game a few years ago where people were saying God used the game as a sign to prove he was real by having Tim Tebow throw for 316 yards. This raised the question why were the believers on the Broncos side any more important than the believers on the Steelers side. It also made some wonder why if God wanted to prove his reality he didn't spontaneously wipe out a disease, end a war, or anything of like scale.

Upvote 0

Strider1002

For when I am weak, then I am strong.
May 10, 2011
Pennsylvania
✟62,542.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
It reminds me of the Steelers/Broncos playoff game a few years ago where people were saying God used the game as a sign to prove he was real by having Tim Tebow throw for 316 yards. This raised the question why were the believers on the Broncos side any more important than the believers on the Steelers side.

In that particular case, I don't think it's about who won the game. If God used that game to show anything, it was that He is with those who have faith in Him, such as Tebow, who is probably the most vocal Christian in the league. And if I recall correctly, the Steelers had the best pass defense in the league that year...

David was vocal about God, too. It wasn't about "look what I can do," it was "look what my God can do."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

crishmael

nothing but the rain
Aug 29, 2008
Tejas
✟32,195.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In that particular case, I don't think it's about who won the game. If God used that game to show anything, it was that He is with those who have faith in Him, such as Tebow, who is probably the most vocal Christian in the league. And if I recall correctly, the Steelers had the best pass defense in the league that year...

David was vocal about God, too. It wasn't about "look what I can do," it was "look what my God can do."

But doesn't your argument only work if there are no believers on the opposing team? Troy Polamalu is a devout Christian but he doesn't make the spectacle of it that Christian culture enjoys. I know people want to see signs but they look awfully foolish when you seriously begin to contemplate the implications of the belief that God is fixing sports events to prove his power.

Reactions: MacFall
Upvote 0