• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Does God care if we like flawed fictional characters?

Gingerine

Nov 18, 2016
il
✟24,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello! Happy Sunday!
I have a question that I've been worrying about for a bit.
I like to read and watch a lot of fiction (mostly younger kids books and shows) and I was wondering if for instance one of the characters has a problem with lying will God be angry with me if I like them but don't accept their lying issue?
My thoughts sat He will since I know it's wrong it's like I'm partaking in the sin and I might go to hell for it.

At the same time I don't really believe that but I don't know which thought process is correct. Please help, my classes are starting soon and I don't want to be distracted during them.
Thank you!

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟262,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello! Happy Sunday!
I like to read and watch a lot of fiction (mostly younger kids books and shows) and I was wondering if for instance one of the characters has a problem with lying will God be angry with me if I like them but don't accept their lying issue?
My thoughts sat He will since I know it's wrong it's like I'm partaking in the sin and I might go to hell for it.

At the same time I don't really believe that but I don't know which thought process is correct. Please help, my classes are starting soon and I don't want to be distracted during them.
Thank you!

What does the Spirit of Christ in you say? Does it upsit your personal relationship with Him? Are you getting a red or green flag in your innermost bring. These are the questions only you can answer. Because it is our personal relationship with Christ that is our Christianity.

Much love in Christ, Not me

Upvote 0

royal priest

debtor to grace
Nov 1, 2015
Northeast, USA
✟188,924.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Hello! Happy Sunday!

Thank you!
Ask yourself what attracts you to the character. Beware of any signs, even subtly, that this character could have negative affects on you. I'm thinking of Bible verses like Proverbs 22:24-25; 1 Corinthians 15:33
Media has subtle impacts on our thoughts and behavior. I would strongly recommend you look to trusted sources of literature. There's lots of good, edifying material out there.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

blackribbon

Not a newbie
Dec 18, 2011
✟190,401.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
God loves all his Children and we are all flawed. We are to love our neighbors ... not just those who are "perfect". So to like a flawed fictional character isn't unlike practice to learn how to be empathetic toward real people. The important part is that you recognize the flaws and don't imitate them.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking flawed characters. Being drawn to good writing or moral ambiguity is just part of the human condition that we relate to. Don't worry about it. God understands,mand remember that many Biblical figures were very flawed.

Upvote 0

Gingerine

Nov 18, 2016
il
✟24,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What does the Spirit of Christ in you say? Does it upsit your personal relationship with Him? Are you getting a red or green flag in your innermost bring. These are the questions only you can answer. Because it is our personal relationship with Christ that is our Christianity.

Much love in Christ, Not me
Thank you for the reply, I truly have no idea one hand I think God doesn't care as long as I don't emulate or condone that behavior in the other hand I don't know and don't want to go to hell for something like this.

Upvote 0

Gingerine

Nov 18, 2016
il
✟24,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking flawed characters. Being drawn to good writing or moral ambiguity is just part of the human condition that we relate to. Don't worry about it. God understands,mand remember that many Biblical figures were very flawed.
Thank you I'll try to ignore the thoughts, as hard as it is.

Upvote 0

Gingerine

Nov 18, 2016
il
✟24,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God loves all his Children and we are all flawed. We are to love our neighbors ... not just those who are "perfect". So to like a flawed fictional character isn't unlike practice to learn how to be empathetic toward real people. The important part is that you recognize the flaws and don't imitate them.
Thanks! This is something I've been worrying about for a bit, sometimes I feel like God is trying to send me a message but I don't know which one is coming from Him.

• Prayers
Upvote 0

Not me

Righteousness is right and not me.
Feb 26, 2018
California
✟262,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the reply, I truly have no idea one hand I think God doesn't care as long as I don't emulate or condone that behavior in the other hand I don't know and don't want to go to hell for something like this.

This is where and why your personal relationship with Him is so important. The closer/larger more intimate the relationship is, the easier it is to hear His voice.

Best wishes and prays that you might hear Him in all things. Much love, Not me

• Agree
Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private

Not going to hell is easier than you think. Some people believe they have to obey the Ten Commandments for their entire lives to not go to hell. Some people believe they must observe certain rites and rituals in order to not go to hell. Some people believe there is no way we can know for sure whether or not we will go to hell. None of these views are correct. The Bible is very clear on how a person can avoid going to hell after death.

So, how can we not go to hell? Since only an infinite and eternal penalty is sufficient to pay for our sins, an infinite and eternal price must be paid. God became a human being in the Person of Jesus Christ (John 1:1, 14). God became a human being so that He could die for us. Jesus, God in human form, died on the cross. As God, His death was infinite and eternal in value, paying the full price for sin (1 John 2:2). God invites us to receive Jesus Christ as Savior, accepting His death as the full and just payment for our sins. God promises that anyone who believes in Jesus (John 3:16), trusting Him alone as the Savior (John 14:6), will be saved (i.e., not go to hell).

Romans 10:9-10
9) For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10) For it is believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gingerine

Nov 18, 2016
il
✟24,469.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not going to hell is easier than you think. Some people believe they have to obey the Ten Commandments for their entire lives to not go to hell. Some people believe they must observe certain rites and rituals in order to not go to hell. Some people believe there is no way we can know for sure whether or not we will go to hell. None of these views are correct. The Bible is very clear on how a person can avoid going to hell after death.

So, how can we not go to hell? Since only an infinite and eternal penalty is sufficient to pay for our sins, an infinite and eternal price must be paid. God became a human being in the Person of Jesus Christ (John 1:1, 14). God became a human being so that He could die for us. Jesus, God in human form, died on the cross. As God, His death was infinite and eternal in value, paying the full price for sin (1 John 2:2). God invites us to receive Jesus Christ as Savior, accepting His death as the full and just payment for our sins. God promises that anyone who believes in Jesus (John 3:16), trusting Him alone as the Savior (John 14:6), will be saved (i.e., not go to hell).

Romans 10:9-10
9) For if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. 10) For it is believing in your heart that you are made right with God, and it is by confessing with your mouth that you are saved.​
Thank you this helps a lot! I'll try to avoid entertaining these notions.

Upvote 0

dreadnought

Lip service isn't really service.
Site Supporter
Aug 4, 2012
Reno, Nevada
✟313,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello! Happy Sunday!

Thank you!
As long as you realize that the person is sinning and that you mustn't sin (because sin brings about bad consequences). Sometimes a writer will make a flawed character likable.

Upvote 0

Mari17

Jun 17, 2017
Newport
✟143,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Knowing you have OCD, I'd say it's very likely you are being obsessive about this....what do you think? Listen to the "sound mind" voice, not the fearful one. As to the commenters asking you how you feel in your conscience, well, those of us with OCD sometimes have a bit of a hard time differentiating between our "real" conscience and OCD, so that doesn't always work as a guideline. "At the same time I don't really believe that..." (your words)...you "know" what you believe deep down (your common sense), so try to practice ignoring the obsessive/"what if" fears that try to come at you! Practice ERP (even if that just means ignoring the thoughts)! :)

Upvote 0

Shawb

Mar 13, 2017
Connecticut
✟31,365.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don’t think God minds it too much if you empathize with flawed characters. Heck look at the Bible: Jacob, Solomon, David, and Sampson are just a few of people who failed miserably before God but still he used them to teach us about his grace and mercy. Just like the Bible and it’s characters stories with flawed characters tell an honest perspective of the human condition and our struggles. It reminds us that we continually fall short of God’s standard and reinforces our need for Christ. But just remember not emulate that character’s lesser qualities hope that helps.

Upvote 0