Does God care about which denomination or church you belong to?

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟885,445.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

My thoughts on this is that God wants you belong to a church where its members take God seriously, live for Him. I don't think it matters that much whether you belong to a Catholic church, Orthodox church, Angelican church, Reformed church, Lutheran church, Pentacostal church or any other Protestant church.

What I think God is serious about is our heart, that it's of less importance our theological views. Even children or maybe I should say especially children that don't have that strong formulated theological views, but really have a heart for God truly belong to the kingdom of God, and that is what God is looking for in all of us.

What do you think?

But Jesus said, “Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”
— Matthew 19:14

Last edited:

SabbathBlessings

Site Supporter
Jun 12, 2020
USA
✟479,541.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

My thoughts on this is that God wants you belong to a church where its members take God seriously, live for Him. I don't think it matters that much whether you belong to a Catholic church, Orthodox church, Angelican church, Reformed church, Lutheran church, Pentacostal church or any other Protestant church.

What I think God is serious about is our heart, that it's of less importance our theological views. Even children or maybe I should say especially children that don't have that strong formulated theological view, but really have a heart for God is what God is looking for in all of us.

What do you think?
God cares about us worshipping Him in Spirit and Truth John 4:24 and obeying God’s commandments over commandments of man. Matthew 15:3-9

God bless

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Probably not the denomination, but there are certainly concerns about congregations and fellowships (as noted in Revelations about the "seven churches of Asia."

There have been and are congregations of people calling themselves Christians who are mortally sinful in their hearts, where the Holy Spirit is not among them in their gatherings.

Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Probably not the denomination, but there are certainly concerns about congregations and fellowships (as noted in Revelations about the "seven churches of Asia."

There have been and are congregations of people calling themselves Christians who are mortally sinful in their hearts, where the Holy Spirit is not among them in their gatherings.

Jesus said to love our neighbors as ourselves. Do you not agree with Him?

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟905,271.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What I think God is serious about is our heart, that it's of less importance our theological views. Even children or maybe I should say especially children that don't have that strong formulated theological views, but really have a heart for God truly belong to the kingdom of God, and that is what God is looking for in all of us.

What do you think?

But Jesus said, “Let the children alone, and do not hinder them from coming to Me; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”
Considering the "Church" are those who are in the Body of Christ, He most certainly cares. Fortunately, this group spans across all denominations as He reads our hearts and not theology.
Be blessed.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Jesus said to love our neighbors as ourselves. Do you not agree with Him?

I don't know what your post means relative to what I said.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟885,445.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Yes, those churches exist. I attended a sermon (I won't mention which church or where), where the preaching was so terrible that I got really angry. I almost stepped out the door. I probably should have, but out of courtesy I stayed. Still I can't know the hearts of the other people there. I hope the best of people. Maybe others felt the same way.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,474,877.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, those churches exist. I attended a sermon (I won't mention which church or where), where the preaching was so terrible that I got really angry. I almost stepped out the door. I probably should have, but out of courtesy I stayed. Still I can't know the hearts of the other people there. I hope the best of people. Maybe others felt the same way.

But you knew there was something wrong and you didn't go back, did you? What does that say of those who stay and support that congregation?

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟885,445.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
But you knew there was something wrong and you didn't go back, did you? What does that say of those who stay and support that congregation?

It says they make a poor choice. I think you can be saved and still make poor choices for different reasons. Or they think they can be a light for the people there, waking them up.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

What do you think?

Early Christians were called "a sect" of Judaism.
Paul admits to belonging to that group.

Did it matter which group one belonged to - the Christians or the Jews?

In Rev 12 we see 1260 years of the dark ages starting sometime after Christ ascends to heaven - and scripture approves the saints for standing firm in their faith - stand for truth at the cost of their lives.

And avoiding the danger that scripture describes as coming from false doctrine as I note here

False doctrine matters to God.

Mark 7:
‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far away from Me.
7 And in vain do they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’
8 Neglecting the commandment of God, you hold to the tradition of men.”
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘The one who speaks evil of father or mother, is certainly to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a person says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is, given to God),’ 12 you no longer allow him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thereby invalidating the word of God by your tradiGation which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

Gal 5:. 4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by the Law; you have fallen from grace.

Gal 1:6-9
6 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel, 7 which is not just another account; but there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! 9 As we have said before, even now I say again: if anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If you ask Calvinists if "it matters" whether Arminan Free will is right or not they will say "yes it matters" and so will Arminans say that about Calvinism.

If you ask Baptists whether "believers baptism" matters vs "infant baptism" they will say "yes it matters".

They would all be right about that answer.

If you ask Mormons "if it matters whether Joseph Smith were legit or not" they would say "yes it matters"

If you ask JWs if it matters whether the Watchtower was heretical or not they would say "yes it matters".

If you ask Catholics whether it matters if Purgatory exists or not, whether it matters if the Pope is head of the church or not, whether it matters if the Catholic church was teaching a lot of doctrinal error or not - they would say "yest it matters".

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟885,445.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Early Christians were called "a sect" of Judaism.
Paul admits to belonging to that group.

Did it matter which group one belonged to - the Christians or the Jews?

That's two different religions, not different churches.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with both your OP and RDKirk's points.. Some churches we shouldn't be a part of however denomination doesn't matter perse.

If we think heaven will only be populated by us and a few of our close freinds we are in error.

• Agree
Reactions: zoidar
Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟885,445.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you ask Calvinists if "it matters" whether Arminan Free will is right or not they will say "yes it matters" and so will Arminans say that about Calvinism.

If you ask Baptists whether "believers baptism" matters vs "infant baptism" they will say "yes it matters".

They would all be right about that answer.

But is it what really matters to God?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That's two different religions, not different churches.

"A sect" means that the Jews and the Christians view it as a division within the same religion. Paul is asked by the Jews in Acts 13 to give them a sermon in the middle of a Sabbath service.

In Acts when Paul is put on Trial the Pharisees say "we find no fault in this man - what if an angel has spoken to him"

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
But is it what really matters to God?

Mark 7:
9 He was also saying to them, “You are experts at setting aside the commandment of God in order to keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘The one who speaks evil of father or mother, is certainly to be put to death’; 11 but you say, ‘If a person says to his father or his mother, whatever I have that would help you is Corban (that is, given to God),’ 12 you no longer allow him to do anything for his father or his mother; 13 thereby invalidating the word of God by your tradiGation which you have handed down; and you do many things such as that.”

Gal 5:. 4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by the Law; you have fallen from grace.

6 I am amazed that you are so quickly deserting Him who called you by the grace of Christ, for a different gospel, 7 which is not just another account; but there are some who are disturbing you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. 8 But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed! 9 As we have said before, even now I say again: if anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to what you received, he is to be accursed!

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
"A sect" means that the Jews and the Christians view it as a division within the same religion. Paul is asked by the Jews in Acts 13 to give them a sermon in the middle of a Sabbath service.

In Acts when Paul is put on Trial the Pharisees say "we find no fault in this man - what if an angel has spoken to him"

The difference between Jews and Christians is the belief in the Messiah.

However, that's no insignificant difference, as salvation itself hinges on the Messiah and belief therein - making it the definition of a separate religion today.

That's not the same as the difference between a Presbyterian and a Methodist, for example, which is what the OP is concerned with.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟911,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The difference between Jews and Christians is the belief in the Messiah.

Both agree that the scriptures predicted the coming of the Messiah and that the Messiah is of God -

The difference is that Christians (Christ is the greek term for Messiah) accept Jesus of Nazareth IS that Messiah.

That's not the same as the difference between a Presbyterian and a Methodist, for example, which is what the OP is concerned with.

That is back to Arminian (Methodist) and Calvinism (Presbyterian)

And the Bible scholars and founders in both groups would freely admit "it matters"

My point is not that one denomination is lost and the other is saved - I am neither one of them. But I do belong to an Arminian denomination.

Upvote 0

zoidar

Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟885,445.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Mark 7:

Mark 7 is about the Pharisees lipservice and hypocrisy isn't it?

Galatians, isn't that about Christians who wanted to go back to the Mosaic Law, circumsision etc?

We don't have that in our churches today, luckly so I might add

Upvote 0