USA
✟234,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Does He care about our perspective on things? Does he care about opinions in general?
Or does he just want us to shut up and listen to Him? He's the boss, right? Only His opinion matters?
Love Trump, hate Trump. Does it matter in the end? (just an example, didn't want this to be political)

We cannot instruct Him, so while He does care for us, and He does listen to us, our opinions are less useful to Him than 4 year-old's opinion on the best way to get to Grand Central Station in rush hour from downtown would be useful to you.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
our opinions are less useful to Him than 4 year-old's opinion on the best way to get to Grand Central Station in rush hour from downtown would be useful to you.
I was afraid of that. :)

Upvote 0

JESUS=G.O.A.T

Dec 29, 2016
Houston
✟68,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Apostolic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Does He care about our perspective on things? Does he care about opinions in general?
Or does he just want us to shut up and listen to Him? He's the boss, right? Only His opinion matters?
Love Trump, hate Trump. Does it matter in the end? (just an example, didn't want this to be political)

TBH I personally believe the fact he bothered to send his son JESUS all the way up from that high place above us in heaven, and experience what we experience and die for us answers this question for me at least. The fact he even offered us another way of salvation shows he considered how eh the old way was.

He lets us speak to him in prayer as well, it's communication with God, it's not just one way but rather we speak to him and we of course look out for his response and his manifestation. Prayer is reaching out to God and God actually takes time to listen to what we have to say.

Upvote 0

Mrs.PGL

Site Supporter
Dec 12, 2015
windsor ontario
✟69,644.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh sure God cares about our opinions; at least the relevant ones. Imagine a person who says "In my opinion, truth doesn't matter" or "In my opinion, women are less than men and should be treated with contempt" or "In my opinion, hate is better than love" etc. etc. I'd say God cares a lot about our opinions.

I don't believe God wants us to "Shut up and listen to Him" end of story; but perhaps, "Shut up and listen, then think and respond; grow in knowledge and understanding": God is our friend (even Father), and friends like exchange of ideas and mutual conversation and reciprocation. He isn't looking to "be the Boss" but is looking to bring us all into a state of equality as one harmonious whole without need of a "boss" (except perhaps the "boss" of love): bear in mind Jesus said that the one that would be "greatest of all" is the one who would be "servant of all"
agree He talked and listened to Abraham

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Oh sure God cares about our opinions; at least the relevant ones. Imagine a person who says "In my opinion, truth doesn't matter" or "In my opinion, women are less than men and should be treated with contempt" or "In my opinion, hate is better than love" etc. etc. I'd say God cares a lot about our opinions.

I don't believe God wants us to "Shut up and listen to Him" end of story; but perhaps, "Shut up and listen, then think and respond; grow in knowledge and understanding": God is our friend (even Father), and friends like exchange of ideas and mutual conversation and reciprocation. He isn't looking to "be the Boss" but is looking to bring us all into a state of equality as one harmonious whole without need of a "boss" (except perhaps the "boss" of love): bear in mind Jesus said that the one that would be "greatest of all" is the one who would be "servant of all"
Sorry I missed your post. You've answered my question. Some of our opinions are crucial as they evolve into our attitude and actions.
That's why we have to be so careful scrutinizing our own thoughts. Am I being too prejudiced here? Am I giving this person a fair deal?
AndI imagine there can be some good come from Trump's Presidency, even I'm not a fan.

Upvote 0

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I vote no. it would only happen if I gave an opinion to God, and God responded with something like "Hmmm, interesting thought. Let's talk it over.". Or if God asked me directly about something. Neither will happen.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As I read the many opinions expressed on this thread I'm reminded of this question posed to the disciples from Jesus.

“What were you arguing about on the way?"

It's my opinion that just as our Lord had an interest in what the disciples were talking about on their way to Capernaum He also has an interest in what we're discussing in this thread.

God's deepest desire is to spend eternity with us in Heaven. To that end, I think He is interested in our opinions. My experience is that God will meet us at where ever we're at. He does take a personal interest in our lives, will listen to our opinions, and will work to change them when they are off target.

Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As I read the many opinions expressed on this thread I'm reminded of this question posed to the disciples from Jesus.

“What were you arguing about on the way?"

It's my opinion that just as our Lord had an interest in what the disciples were talking about on their way to Capernaum He also has an interest in what we're discussing in this thread.

God's deepest desire is to spend eternity with us in Heaven. To that end, I think He is interested in our opinions. My experience is that God will meet us at where ever we're at. He does take a personal interest in our lives, will listen to our opinions, and will work to change them when they are off target.
I think in the passage quoted, it was more of a teaching moment. Jesus already knew what they were thinking and arguing about.

God may use our opinions, not as a help, but as a way to see into our hearts, to ultimately judge us. Like our actions, they reflect who we are. If they are honest opinions, even if misdirected, we are at least not covering up our true beliefs. If they are dishonest opinions, where we say something we really don't believe, God sees and knows that as well. We can try to fool other people, but we can't fool God.

So, at best, God doesn't seek out or need our opinions, but is still instructed by them, instructed as to who we really are.

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
He does take a personal interest in our lives, will listen to our opinions, and will work to change them when they are off target.
How do I know if I'm on or off target now?
Relativism seems to be an evil that the Church wants us to avoid. Relativism, to my mind, encourages a diversity of opinion on what is the truth because for all of us, the truth varies depending on our cultural upbringing and personality type. We all have slightly different lenses. We all view Jesus and God in a slightly different perspective. Some of us emphasise His authority, others his compassion.
So now, I'm seeing a God for all of us on CF who embraces our diversity. As long as we are well-intentioned. As long as we are really trying to follow the right path. Even if that path is different to our neighbour. I've rediscovered Catholicism in the last 12 months. But that doesn't denigrate my Jewish neighbour or my Baptist brethren.It just means that for me it was the right decision. To cliché, "to thine own self be true". I was raised Catholic. Catholicism is in my blood. I feel I can connect to my parents and ancestors through this faith. It seems like it is my destiny to more fully understand my own faith. What sits right in front of us, is often overlooked. (I do suffer from myopia by the way :) Maybe the Kingdom of God is so close to us we cant see it!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archie the Preacher

Apostle to the Intellectual Skeptics
Apr 11, 2003
Hastings, Nebraska - the Heartland!
Visit site
✟38,822.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
How do I know if I'm on or off target now?
Usually, when I'm 'off target', the Lord will lay a burden on my heart. If that doesn't bring me around to deal with the problem and Him, He smacks me up side the head and says, "Please".

Paul, God wants His people to know Him. He doesn't hide from us or play coy.

bettercallpaul said:
Relativism seems to be an evil that the Church wants us to avoid.
The 'relativism' which teaches every one has an individual definition of 'sin'; or 'your truth is not my truth'. Which is different than your use of the word.

bettercallpaul said:
Relativism, to my mind, encourages a diversity of opinion on what is the truth because for all of us, the truth varies depending on our cultural upbringing and personality type. We all have slightly different lenses. We all view Jesus and God in a slightly different perspective. Some of us emphasise His authority, others his compassion.
So now, I'm seeing a God for all of us on CF who embraces our diversity.
Yeah, more or less. We are all different people. The Lord does not demand me do tatting. (NOT tattooing. Look it up.) Nor would the Lord expect many to defend against murderous ISIS troops. The Lord deals differently as well. He doesn't smack everyone upside the head. Often.
bettercallpaul said:
As long as we are well-intentioned.
As long as we follow His direction. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions; or, as Saint Bernard of Clairvaux wrote (c. 1150), "L'enfer est plein de bonnes volontés et désirs" (hell is full of good wishes and desires).

All followers - servants - of Christ have to act in accordance with his will and directions. And you are correct, He doesn't normally have you, me and 'her' doing the exact same thing.

You said you follow the Catholic tradition. Be a good Catholic by being a good Christian follower of God. I was raised Baptist and still have good feelings about them. Many well-realized Catholics think a Baptist service has the organization of a soup sandwich. Many well-realized Baptists think a Catholic service is incomprehensible and incredibly stuffy. Both celebrate God! I don't understand all of it, but all Christians and Christian groups are needed in some manner.

I'm done now, he said kicking the soapbox back under the desk...

Upvote 0

Genersis

Person of Disinterest
Sep 26, 2011
London
✟38,690.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
My short answer: no.

Not sure God really deals with subjective stuff like opinions, nor has his own opinions.

He has laws and stuff for his children to live by, we try our best to follow them; not much room for opinions and the like.

That's the jist I get anyway.
Not that my jists are worth anything.

Upvote 0